New Kiss album sold 108,000 in first week

Young_Gun

Kiss's latest album Sonic Boom entered the Billboard at No.2 and sold 108,000 in the first week, then tapered off afterwards. Chidem sold 261,000 copies(although entered the charts at No 3) and is considered a failure by a fair few(not me, i fucken love the album). Sonic Boom was released through Walmart(same as AC/DCs last album) and Kiss made a music video for their lead single. Kiss also did the whole PR stunts(performing on Letterman, interviews etc). It was also Kiss's first album in 11 years, although it wasn't as anticipated as Chidem. Kiss also has 2 out the of the original 4 members in the band. Was the Walmart promotion not up to par for the Kiss album as it was for AC/DCs(i don't live in the US so i don't know)? The point is, considering the similarities and circumstances, It still didn't sell half of what Chidem did in the States, so why is Chidem considered a failure in the US? Kiss had the advantage in almost every single aspect(music vid, Walmart, more original members, interviews, PR, Gene Simmons whoring the Kiss name to everything known to man :P ) Kiss's album was a return to form while Chidem was vastly different to old GnR(and anything out there) and still sold more.

Im interested to hear your thoughts. Why did the Kiss album not do so well compared to Chidem? Why did Chidem do double what Sonic Boom did? Please discuss :)

Edited by Young_Gun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiss's latest album Sonic Boom entered the Billboard at No.2 and sold 108,000 in the first week, then tapered off afterwards. Chidem sold 261,000 copies(although entered the charts at No 3) and is considered a failure by a fair few(not me, i fucken love the album). Sonic Boom was released through Walmart(same as AC/DCs last album) and Kiss made a music video for their lead single. BTW, I love the cock! Kiss also did the whole PR stunts(performing on Letterman, interviews etc). It was also Kiss's first album in 11 years, although it wasn't as anticipated as Chidem. Kiss also has 2 out the of the original 4 members in the band. Was the Walmart promotion not up to par for the Kiss album as it was for AC/DCs(i don't live in the US so i don't know)? The point is, considering the similarities and circumstances, It still didn't sell half of what Chidem did in the States, so why is Chidem considered a failure in the US? Kiss had the advantage in almost every single aspect(music vid, Walmart, more original members, interviews, PR, Gene Simmons whoring the Kiss name to everything known to man :P ) Kiss's album was a return to form while Chidem was vastly different to old GnR(and anything out there) and still sold more.

Im interested to hear your thoughts. Why did the Kiss album not do so well compared to Chidem? Why did Chidem do double what Sonic Boom did? Please discuss :)

Because people hate attention-whore Gene Simmons more that they hate Axl. Maybe.

- The name GN'R is bigger than KISS

- CD had a budget of 15million

- CD was maybe the biggest anticipated album of all time

- CD was 15 years in the making

And besides, really have they a knew album out? Didn't knew that...

I think you get my point...

KISS is actually one of the biggest marketing brands in the history of music ... GN'R isn't.

CD wasn't 15 years in the making even though people claim so.. people could've claimed that KISS album was 11 years in the making since it's their first one for 11 years

As much as I love all things guns, I can't let the point of "Guns is bigger than Kiss" get away...yes gene licenses everything, but that's what makes the Kiss name huge...

dPv

Gene Simmons is an ass.

Ok Ok :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Kiss is one of the biggest bands in the world, they influenced countless bands and musicians, Kiss is a band of the same level of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath

Sorry, but Kiss >>>> Guns :thumbsup:

so KISS are bigger than Guns ... that means you disagree with his statement saying "Gene Simmons is an ass"?

..'cause I want you to really, really think about that

Gene Simmons is an ass.

Kiss is one of the biggest bands in the world, they influenced countless bands and musicians, Kiss is a band of the same level of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath

so KISS are bigger than Guns ... that means you disagree with his statement saying "Gene Simmons is an ass"?

..'cause I want you to really, really think about that

HER* statement ,please. Thanks. :xmasssanta:

Given the amount of time and money spent on Chin Dem, it should have been musical gold-dust. Instead, it featured very mediocre tracks such as Rhiad, Scraped and IRS.

I wouldnt exactly call it a failure,, but it was very disappointing and sub-par when you compare it to 'the band's' earlier work

LA

Gene Simmons is an ass.

please be joking please be joking please be joking please be joking

Chinese Democracy was one of the most anticipated albums of all time, Kiss' wasn't.

Anticipated by whom though? Hardcore internet GnR fans really. Most of the old school fans are in their 30s and 40's now and don't even know GnR still exist in some form. It was the most anticipated album in certain media circles and internet forums(mostly Guns related), 90% of the people were waiting on the new Metallica/Lady Gaga/Kayne West album.

This thread seems a bit petty and pointless really.... who cares what kiss does compared to GNR. Kiss hasn't be relevant since they took off thier make up for the first time

Obviously you care to some extent, since you posted on this very thread :) Otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

KISS is actually one of the biggest marketing brands in the history of music ... GN'R isn't.

CD wasn't 15 years in the making even though people claim so.. people could've claimed that KISS album was 11 years in the making since it's their first one for 11 years

This.

Kiss is bigger than GNR

This.

Kiss is bigger than GNR

Kiss is bigger then new GnR for sure, Gene and Paul whore out the Kiss name to pretty much everything and they put on massive tours to millions of people over the years. GnR was bigger then kiss from 1987-1994 but after the band went MIA while Kiss stayed on course, well, Kiss surpassed Guns in brandname and such.

This.

Kiss is bigger than GNR

Kiss is bigger then new GnR for sure, Gene and Paul whore out the Kiss name to pretty much everything and they put on massive tours to millions of people over the years. GnR was bigger then kiss from 1987-1994 but after the band went MIA while Kiss stayed on course, well, Kiss surpassed Guns in brandname and such.

Kiss is more famour to general public than GNR. Everybody knows Kiss and I know alot of people don´t know about Guns and roses ...

Kiss's latest album Sonic Boom entered the Billboard at No.2 and sold 108,000 in the first week, then tapered off afterwards. Chidem sold 261,000 copies(although entered the charts at No 3) and is considered a failure by a fair few(not me, i fucken love the album). Sonic Boom was released through Walmart(same as AC/DCs last album) and Kiss made a music video for their lead single. Kiss also did the whole PR stunts(performing on Letterman, interviews etc). It was also Kiss's first album in 11 years, although it wasn't as anticipated as Chidem. Kiss also has 2 out the of the original 4 members in the band. Was the Walmart promotion not up to par for the Kiss album as it was for AC/DCs(i don't live in the US so i don't know)? The point is, considering the similarities and circumstances, It still didn't sell half of what Chidem did in the States, so why is Chidem considered a failure in the US? Kiss had the advantage in almost every single aspect(music vid, Walmart, more original members, interviews, PR, Gene Simmons whoring the Kiss name to everything known to man :P ) Kiss's album was a return to form while Chidem was vastly different to old GnR(and anything out there) and still sold more.

Why do album sales matter? Isn't it the quality of the album and not the number it sells? Isn't that what was said when CD didn't sell what some people anticipated?

This.

Kiss is bigger than GNR

Kiss is more famour to general public than GNR. Everybody knows Kiss and I know alot of people don´t know about Guns and roses ...

Maybe where you are, pal... It's pretty much the opposite here, particularly for the younger generations.

People saying "Chinese Democracy was more anticipated... that's why it sold more," what does that even mean? The whole thing was streamed on myspace -- anyone could hear it. For free. People didn't go and buy it just to hear what it would be like. Sure, not everyone who got it loved it, but clearly more people wanted to buy it than KISS's latest. That's got to say something. GN'R still have some relevance.