Best Guitarist of the last 30 Years

Marky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame they called it the "Best Guitarists" if they're listing people by popularity over skill.

Most of these guys are popular because they make guitar music that a lot of people enjoy and wanna listen to.

Surely that is the most important thing?

If you're making a popularity list.

Off that list? Easily Tom Morello. However, I find the lack of Dave Murray disturbing.

To be fair, as worn out as the "greatest guitarist of all time" debates are, there's one guitarist (Who happens to be my all time favorite guitarist) who literally never gets mentioned; Dick Dale.

Guest deleted_19765

This is a terrible list and there are very few artists on it from before the Grunge era. As for the best guitarist of the last 30 years, its pretty obvious (even for a pigheaded list like this) that Stevie Ray Vaughan should be #1. No one has so powerfully assumed the mantle Hendrix had established and spawned so many imitators. Its hard to argue that he wasn't the best Blues guitarist ever. SRV is like a genre now, sustaining the careers of artists like Joe Bonamassa and even John Mayer. I know most of the musical literati is in a different paradigm, but I think you have to respect that Stevie was on another level and brought improvised electric guitar there with him.

Who's that guitar playing sons-a-bitch?

It's a question common asked.

On his head a bucket of chicken bones, on his face a plastic mask.

Well, he's the bastard son of a preacher man, on the town he left a stain.

They made him live in a chicken house, to try and hide the shame.

He was born in a coop, raised in a cage, children fear him critics rage.

He's half alive, he's half dead, folks just call him BUCKETHEAD!!!

My answer is Buckethead.

Malcolm Jones. The man puts his heart and soul into everything he does, never mouths off, doesn't do anything but shut up and play to be honest. He's an amazing showman, but he only communicates through his instrument.

Amazingly expressive solo:

Hope at least someone here finds some sort of appreciation for him, a true artist and a musician's musician, he deserves far more recognition than he gets these days and the fact he suffered a massive heart attack last year brought it home to me that he's not going to be around forever...:(

2:35 in that video marks the moment he returned to the stage after undergoing triple-bypass surgery, in front of 17000 fans, what a pro.

Quality stuff. Used to love Runrig as a bairn. Wanted to go to that gig as I'm in Scone and the palace is 5 mins down the road but I think I was up North that weekend. Looks decent though.

Paul Waggoner. Maybe not THE best, but one of them.

4:40 on.

Those vocals are very annoying, that song could do without the redundant screaming.

Everything else is good, kinda dig the guitar playing

Also let me say this, I would be listening to this band a hell of alot more if they didn't scream so much in their songs, it takes somthing away from the music. I really am excited about and drawn to the instrumental side of their music though. Damn fine guitar player in that band.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/04_april/09/axefactor.shtml

John Frusciante won the poll. 30'424 listeners voted online.

The full top ten:

1. John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

2. Slash (Guns N'Roses)

3. Matt Bellamy (Muse)

4. Johnny Marr (The Smiths)

5. Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine)

6. Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

7. Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)

8. Prince

9. Jack White (White Stripes)

10. Peter Buck (REM)

Don't get the love for Tom Morello, his retarded effects have ruined just as many songs as they've improved. He always over-does it. Look at Original Fire by Audioslave, the song's fine until his solo. Just awful.

Johnny Greenwood has to be one of the more original guitarists of recent times, uses the effects well in addition to other instruments, like his radio in Climbing Up The Walls. Get some great ambient sound which makes the songs seem so full as well as those powerful, driven chord sequences. Great stuff.