Roger Waters to do "THE WALL" tour!!

Zint

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna buy 2 for Manchester but seeing the £84 price I've decided against it for now, perhaps I'll change my mind later on and try my luck in the public sales but for now I'm out. :/

I bought two tickets this evening. I am disappointed that I couldn't get a floor seat or a decent lower tier one. I'm relieved and excited to have bought these tickets but was surprised about the £8 booking fee.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Israeli government prevents Roger from doing The Wall there.

Wall Live in Berlin has some good moments, some WTF moments, but it was more about Germany coming together. Should be interesting to see where he takes this show in the next couple of years.

The wall is 240 feet by 35 foot high and they're going to have new animation by Gerald Scarfe.

Cool!

I'll wait till it hits the $10.00 rack then snag it.

Same here. I have it on DVD, so I can wait. Also the wife has a rule, I can't buy any Blu-Ray that I already have on DVD. :(

• 4 weeks later...

David Gilmour and Roger Waters suprise fans with reunion

For the first time in five years, Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and David Gilmour, shared the stage together at a benefit in England this past weekend.

The performance was unannounced as the two driving forces behind one of rock's greatest progressive rock bands partnered up before 200 attendees of the Hoping Foundation benefit in Oxfordshire. The benefit was staged to raise money for young Palestinian refugees.

The dynamic duo, who for years refused to play together until the London Live 8 benefit show in 2005, performed a four-song set included Phil Spector's "To Know Him Is To Love Him" (a Floyd sound-check staple according to the blog on Gilmour's website) and the band's classics "Wish You Were Here," "Comfortably Numb" and "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2".

No full Pink Floyd reunion...

Fans should not expect Gilmour to be in Tacoma next December for Roger Water's performance of Pink Floyd's "The Wall", or any other dates on the tour for that matter.

As Rolling Stone previously reported,.. Waters asked Gilmour to join his 30th anniversary tour of The Wall this year, but the former Pink Floyd guitarist/ vocalist declined to participate. "David is completely uninterested," Waters said in May. "I could have probably gone for doing some more stuff, but he's not interested."

Hopes for another full scale Pink Floyd reunion tour disappeared when keyboardist Richard Wright passed away from cancer in 2008. Gilmour stated sadly, "No one can replace Richard Wright."

With last weekend's suprise performance, Pink Floyd fans can always hold out some hope for possible suprise appearances by Gilmour. Although this is probably not likely. Based on history, It seems that when the two have performed and will likley perform together in the future, it is for charity events.

Roger Waters coming to Northwest...

Roger Waters will bring the full production of "The Wall" to the Northwest on Saturday, December 11th at the Tacoma Dome. The show is one of many dates of a multi city world tour that commemorates the 30 year anniversary of the one of the greatest pieces of musical and visual art ever created. As reported here, Tickets went on sale on Monday, May 10th.

http://www.examiner.com/x-21060-Seattle-Music-Insider-Examiner~y2010m7d12-David-Gilmour-and-Roger-Waters-suprise-fans-with-reunion

Waters has just announced on his Facebook page that Gilmour will do Comfortably Numb at one of The Wall shows. I hope it's the first show of the tour. That's the one I'll be at. :thumbsup:

Here's what he said.

So here's what happened. Last year, 'The Hoping Foundation' a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (www.hopingfoundation.org) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott's Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin's 'Summertime?' which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this 'Wouldn't it be funny', idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other's throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'C. Numb', but that 'To Know him is to Love him' was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote "If you do 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows". Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-waters-the-wall/the-gig-with-david/144577855556673

Edited by Becket

Waters has just announced on his Facebook page that Gilmour will do Comfortably Numb at one of The Wall shows. I hope it's the first show of the tour. That's the one I'll be at. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that would be great. I'm going to that show too. But I wonder if they think it would be too hard an act to follow if David plays in the first one. Oh well, I can hope!

If David's going to be there, odds are likely Nick will be there, too. They don't want to call it a PF reunion, because one song and no Rick makes that impossible.

Roger's already committed to Wall shows in 2011, David's been working with The Orb on new music, but that doesn't rule out a festival concert. Gilmour had wanted to play Glastonbury when Rick was still alive but not doing so well, but the festival manager ruled against it.

I'm glad they are able to look back at a 45 year history and not have that rivalry anymore.

With Roger playing 5-6 dates in London, odds are likely Gilmour's going to one of those shows. I also think it's going to be one of those shows where anyone could show up on any night, like Van Morrison, Crosby Stills Nash or Eric Clapton. I'm glad this is how Roger wants to wind up his touring career, but I think when you see people like Leonard Cohen doing three hour night shows, or BB King and Chuck Berry still performing, it keeps "young:" (and Young, as in Neil) guys in their 50s and 60s going.