• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from brain damage:

Full dress rehearsal for The Wall Live last night

Written by Matt

Monday, 13 September 2010

A select few had their collective minds blown last night (Sunday, September 12th) by all accounts, with a "special dress rehearsal" of Roger Waters The Wall Live show at the Izod Center, in East Rutherford, NJ. This venue will see a couple of concerts at the start of November, but last night a fraction of the audiences expected later in the year faced very tight security to enjoy what we hear was a knockout performance.

As one commentator put it: "Tonight I had the chance to see a preview of Roger Waters The Wall in all of its rock glory at the Izod center in NJ where Roger is rehearsing for his upcoming tour. The Wall has always been on my bucket list, so I jumped at the chance to see this new updated live version. I have to tell you that this is much more than a concert, it is an experience and the show has been updated with state-of-the-art technology and new political themes that make the show as relevant and fresh as it was 30 years ago. I know the tickets are expensive, but you have never seen anything like this before. Check out this interview where Roger discusses the ideas behind the new show. If you only see one show this year, make sure it is this one."

:heart:

WOW!!!! :shocked: It's 4 hours after the show and I'm still blown away!!!! Amazing show. Anyone that hasn't got tickets yet. GET THEM!!!!!

The sound was amazing, Roger sounded great. The projections were INCREDIBLE!!!!

Anyone who saw the show know what that homeless guy before the show started was all about? :lol: At first I thought, how the hell did he get in, then realized it must be part of the show.

I will have some pics and video when I get back home on Sat.

Damn, no encore. That sucks.

I wasn't expecting one, but was hoping. Was also a bit disapointed he didn't do When The Tigers Broke Free.

I had seen the movie, but I hadn't seen the Wall before in concert. This show was awesome. It was so theatrical, the constantly changing imagery was really interesting and you kept spotting different things.

When we got there, we noticed this homeless guy is pushing his full cart all around the ground seating. The lights are all still on, it's before the show and you're wondering how he got in. A security guard is walking with him, obviously arguing with him to leave. He has big placards in his cart with words on them. Once we made out the words we thought he might be part of the show. But he just kept pushing that cart around. It was so wierd.

Roger's voice was surprisingly good. He had a good Gilmour like guy singing too. The music was great though the sound at ACC isn't the best from our seats and only minor glitches happened which for a first show of the tour of this kind is pretty impressive.

The wall was the star. There is so much going on. The constant changes and really interesting imagery. There were several times I thought I understood how they would 'bring down the wall' though they seemed early. I'd think 'okay that was an interesting approach' but then it kept going and another way would be shown until it finally happened.

No opener and no encores. I had read that there would be none for this show so I wasn't disappointed. I loved that he brought the kids in from our local music school and he plans to do this in the different cities. They were great and they'll never forget this experience.

I would say if you can go, do.

Edited by Orsys

He's been taking voice lessons to be able to do this tour.

Yeah and it shows.

The usual knobs can piss off with their canned vocals crap.I was 8th row floors and I saw the guy's neck straining as he reached for certain notes...and found...quite handily.

Further proof being when he started to sing Mother,the mic wasn't working,a few attempts to get it going resulted in feedback,from the mic...that he was singing in to.It took a few lines before they got it running properly.

He sounded amazing by the way.

Edited by zint61

Damn, no encore. That sucks.

Not really...would have been anticlimatic.

The sheer power of the Wall collapsing...it's untoppable.

Not to mention,there were bricks from a 30 foot stage EVERYWHERE...all over the stage.

It's an overwhelming feeling to stand there and witness the collapse of the Wall...and the build up to it.

To have to stand there for 10 minutes or more while they clear the stage of the rubble...so he could,what...sing a song from Dark Side or Wish You Were Here??

nah...

It's a not just a concert,it's a theatrical presentation of a body of work.

You don't get an encore of Cats songs when you go see Phantom Of The Opera.

He's been taking voice lessons to be able to do this tour.

Yeah and it shows.

The usual knobs can piss off with their canned vocals crap.I was 8th row floors and I saw the guy's neck straining as he reached for certain notes...and found...quite handily.

Further proof being when he started to sing Mother,the mic wasn't working,a few attempts to get it going resulted in feedback,from the mic...that he was singing in to.It too a few lines before they got it running properly.

He sounded amazing by the way.

Wow, must have been very cool to watch from there. Just the 'hugeness' of it all.

Wow, must have been very cool to watch from there. Just the 'hugeness' of it all.

It was stunning.And as I was just telling Becket..almost overwhelming.

It emerses you deep in the experience.

It's a different vantage point for sure,I'm looking forward to show 2 tonight,I'm in the stands and a bit further back.

Last night when all the fireworks were going off,I was lost in the "flash" of all that and completely missed the crashing plane.

I didn't even know about it until I saw a youtube clip. :lol:

I'll tell you what was powerful...mighty powerful,from that vantage point.

The victims of war images on the wall during intermission.

Those images and stories about the deceased were ALL sent in by loved ones.

Those were all personal submissions.

Rather than using intermission to transform myself into a two beer fisted drunken asshole who didn't REALLY care that he was there anymore **cough**..I took the time to look at the pictures of these people who lost their lives,from WW1 to 9/11 and beyond.The synopsis stories of their lives were quite intriguing.It was poignant and I think Roger achieved what he set out to do in that regard.

Last night was a remarkable experience,I rank it among the best I've ever seen.