New SIXX:A.M. Songs/Album On The Way...

Gordon Comstock

MÖTLEY CRÜE / SIXX: A.M.'s Nikki Sixx has issued the following update:

"I've been slammed in the studio with Sixx: A.M. lately and wanted to give you all a quick update.

We're getting close to picking our first single. Its a really hard choice. Also the video and photo shoots are gonna be coming up in the next 3 weeks, but right now all I can think about is that the weekend is almost here... yeah.

New Nikkisixx.net coming soon. Until then keep your "eyes" and "ears" at Twitter.com/nikkisixx.

You know we might leak something soon... we can't help ourselves.

Thank you all for listening to the Sixx Sense Radio show (and the weekend countdown show too)... so many e-mails telling us how much your enjoying it. You're not alone... Were having a blast!"

Gibson.com correspondent Elianne Halbersberg recently caught up with Sixx: A.M. vocalist / producer James Michael. An excerpt from the interview is available below.

Q: How has your approach to working with Nikki (Sixx / Mötley Crüe) changed over the years?

JM: "That's a great question. It hasn't changed at all. The day he showed up at my house to write the first song for New Tattoo -- he's the same person. That question excites me because I realize that our friendship has stayed consistent and we still have that good give-and-take and appreciation for what each other does."

Q: Can you be too comfortable working with an artist?

JM: "I guess you could, but that would then make you not as effective as a producer. You always have to throw a fistful of nails in when things get too comfortable. For me, it's instinctive to do that. The music-making process is about the discomfort, working through things, challenging yourself and discovering new things about yourself."

Q: Nikki's roots go back to analog and tape, what one might call the "old school" way of making records -- "old school" now meaning anyone over 30. How does this impact what you do?

JM: "Mine are in analog and tape, too! I was very lucky to start engineering at 14 on large analog consoles and two-inch tape machines. I was always a tech geek, so as soon as the first Mac Classic came out, I was pushing it to the limit. I have that old-school style, but I'm also cutting-edge efficient on digital recording. I'm one of the handfuls of guys who cut his teeth on the cusp and can do both. Having the same recording experience as Nikki, we speak the same language and that's very important. We appreciate the old and the new and can find the sweet spot between the two. We also know when we've gotten there. Being from the other era of recording gives us an advantage."

What does this mean for DJ Ashba? Sixx:A.M. is gonna want to tour eventually, and there have been rumours flying for a long time about a possible fall/winter US tour. Who knows how long the tour schedule is going to last, I would hope DJ doesn't let Sixx:A.M. get is the way of GNR.

Thoughts?

(PS: I'm pretty pumped for this, love Sixx:A.M., can't wait for the new album! Hope I get to see them live again)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've been slammed in the studio with Sixx: A.M. lately and wanted to give you all a quick update.

We're getting close to picking our first single. Its a really hard choice. Also the video and photo shoots are gonna be coming up in the next 3 weeks, but right now all I can think about is that the weekend is almost here... yeah.

New Nikkisixx.net coming soon. Until then keep your "eyes" and "ears" at Twitter.com/nikkisixx.

Thank you all for listening to the Sixx Sense Radio show (and the weekend countdown show too)... so many e-mails telling us how much your enjoying it. You're not alone... Were having a blast!"

Gibson.com correspondent Elianne Halbersberg recently caught up with Sixx: A.M. vocalist / producer James Michael. An excerpt from the interview is available below.

Q: How has your approach to working with Nikki (Sixx / Mötley Crüe) changed over the years?

JM: "That's a great question. It hasn't changed at all. The day he showed up at my house to write the first song for New Tattoo -- he's the same person. That question excites me because I realize that our friendship has stayed consistent and we still have that good give-and-take and appreciation for what each other does."

JM: "I guess you could, but that would then make you not as effective as a producer. You always have to throw a fistful of nails in when things get too comfortable. For me, it's instinctive to do that. The music-making process is about the discomfort, working through things, challenging yourself and discovering new things about yourself."

Q: Nikki's roots go back to analog and tape, what one might call the "old school" way of making records -- "old school" now meaning anyone over 30. How does this impact what you do?

JM: "Mine are in analog and tape, too! I was very lucky to start engineering at 14 on large analog consoles and two-inch tape machines. I was always a tech geek, so as soon as the first Mac Classic came out, I was pushing it to the limit. I have that old-school style, but I'm also cutting-edge efficient on digital recording. I'm one of the handfuls of guys who cut his teeth on the cusp and can do both. Having the same recording experience as Nikki, we speak the same language and that's very important. We appreciate the old and the new and can find the sweet spot between the two. We also know when we've gotten there. Being from the other era of recording gives us an advantage."

What does this mean for DJ Ashba? Sixx:A.M. is gonna want to tour eventually, and there have been rumours flying for a long time about a possible fall/winter US tour. Who knows how long the tour schedule is going to last, I would hope DJ doesn't let Sixx:A.M. get is the way of GNR.

Thoughts?

(PS: I'm pretty pumped for this, love Sixx:A.M., can't wait for the new album! Hope I get to see them live again)

Best case is Robin comes back since he is done with NIN and DJ goes back to Sixx AM, ,everyone wins.

Thoughts?

Best case is Robin comes back since he is done with NIN and DJ goes back to Sixx AM, ,everyone wins.

that would be hilarious is that actually happened

Thoughts?

I think Sixx:AM was considered as a side project for all of them so I can't imagine in getting in the way of anything.

It would be strange to have Robin back... But I'm sure the guys will make the right decision!

It would not be that strange. It would be even better if Axl would get back Robin, BH and Brain.

But getting Robin back and maybe Brain rejoining would be a good start for a new tour

Thoughts?

I think Sixx:AM was considered as a side project for all of them so I can't imagine in getting in the way of anything.

James and Nikki aren't doing anything, I'm sure they'll want to do something with Sixx:A.M.

Nikki doesn't look like he'll be doing a lot or anything Motley for a while.... He seems kinda disinterested nowadays

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've only read the title and some responses in this thread, so I didn't see any dates, but I sure hope that he wont be replaced with Finck before they've played in Sweden.

I like Sixx:Am's first record. looking forward to this.

Why the fuck would somebody want Robin back?

Because he was in gnr for close to 10 years and wrote most of the stuff on CD and the follow ups?

lol buckethead

You do know if BH said tomorrow he wants back in, Axl would drop Ron in a heartbeat right?

u have to be high to think Robin's coming back. if that were to happen then DJ would have to leave. Considering DJ is "having the time of his life" in GNR i do not see that happening. DJ is such a great fit for new GNR and Axl seems to love him. but some fans always want what they can't have. whatever, i love DJ.

after touring and probably in between toruing DJ will work with sixx am. thats just what is most likely to happen IMO. none of this robins returning BS.

its not that complicated. Sixx AM isnt working on their own Chinese Democracy, Sixx AM will probably take a year like ur average band to make a album. considering its a side project it might even be less. so its not like DJ will be there forever.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

Because he was in gnr for close to 10 years and wrote most of the stuff on CD and the follow ups?

lol buckethead

You do know if BH said tomorrow he wants back in, Axl would drop Ron in a heartbeat right?

not at all

Guest gunns5

lol buckethead

not at all

Well from the questions I asked axl a year or 2 ago in those chats, he seemed to be quiet friendly with Bucket, and that theres no animosity between him and the big B. I love Ron in the band, dont get me wrong, but Bucket in a gnr 2010 lineup would be something dreams (or miracles in this case) are made of.

lol buckethead

not at all

Then you dont know much about Gnr history if you dont think that is the case.

Axl was trying to get BH back up until a few weeks before hammerstein, and had to settle for Ron.

Axl wants BH back and would take him back in a heartbeat.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to 'discussions' as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

Well, Buckethead left badly.

u have to be high to think Robin's coming back. if that were to happen then DJ would have to leave. Considering DJ is "having the time of his life" in GNR i do not see that happening. DJ is such a great fit for new GNR and Axl seems to love him. but some fans always want what they can't have. whatever, i love DJ.

after touring and probably in between toruing DJ will work with sixx am. thats just what is most likely to happen IMO. none of this robins returning BS.

its not that complicated. Sixx AM isnt working on their own Chinese Democracy, Sixx AM will probably take a year like ur average band to make a album. considering its a side project it might even be less. so its not like DJ will be there forever.

Indeed!

lol buckethead

not at all

Axl was trying to get BH back up until a few weeks before hammerstein, and had to settle for Ron.

really, where ya get that info? That was a rumour that was created at the time by the BH lovers, to me I am glad Ron is in. Ron is great player and is undeniably great with the fans, I would rather talk to a guitar player than a puppet just my opinion though. I am glad BH and his gimmicks are long gone.

lol buckethead

not at all

really, where ya get that info? That was a rumour that was created at the time by the BH lovers, to me I am glad Ron is in. Ron is great player and is undeniably great with the fans, I would rather talk to a guitar player than a puppet just my opinion though. I am glad BH and his gimmicks are long gone.

It was not a rumor created by BH fans, his own admin even said it on BHs official site.

And yes you are someone that would rather take image over talent, that is the problem with fans like you.

You would rather have a lesser guitar player over a better one because he looks normal.

You know all the best solos on CD are from BH. ANd also one of the best was made by that freak Robin who was a goth until the 2006 tour.

I laugh at all the hate Robin got from 2000 until the hammerstein gigs when he switched his look.

Its a joke people would rather have a butcher on guitar than a guy would runs circles around him just because of his gimmic.

I guess you must have hated gnr when they more make up right?

^^^^^^^ not about looks totally as for BH, the look the gimmicks the puppet talking the mask, the fact that when I seen them he stood there and did nothing. Can he play sure but thats it I would rather have someone who can play the shit outta the music and be comfortable in his own skin in this band, and with the fans. Just my opinion though Dave, my observations.

And for the record I never liked Robin much due to his playing rather than his look

Edited by gunsguy

^^^^^^^ not about looks totally as for BH, the look the gimmicks the puppet talking the mask, the fact that when I seen them he stood there and did nothing. Can he play sure but thats it I would rather have someone who can play the shit outta the music and be comfortable in his own skin in this band, and with the fans. Just my opinion though Dave, my observations.

And for the record I never liked Robin much due to his playing rather than his look

Agreed.

Bucket is a great guitarist, but he doesnt fit the dynamic of the band. Bumble and DJ both have great stage presence as well as being the best at keeping contact with the fan base.

They can play all the licks, too. Plus, we don't know at all what kind of songwriting they could create together w/ Axl and Tommy... they haven't done it yet. Could be some great stuff!