U2 Forced To Cancel Glastonbury Festival. Edge Makes Surprise Appearance WIth Muse. (Video In Last Post)

Tater Totts

Following a phone call from Bono to Michael Eavis this morning, we're extremely sorry to report that U2 will not be able to perform their headline slot at this year's Glastonbury Festival. This is due to the serious back injury which Bono sustained last week and the subsequent medical advice he has received.

Said Bono: "I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special - we even wrote a song especially for the Festival."

Said Michael Eavis: "It was obvious from our telephone conversation that U2 are hugely disappointed. Clearly, they were looking forward to playing the Pyramid Stage as much as we were looking forward to watching them. At this point, we have no comment to make about possible replacements for U2's Friday night slot. Instead, we would simply like to send Bono our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery."

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/u2-forced-to-cancel-glastonbury-appearance

NORTH AMERICAN DATES WILL BE RESCHEDULED IN 2011

25 May 2010

Tour promoters Live Nation have confirmed that the 16 U2360° shows from Salt Lake City on June 3rd, through to New Jersey's Meadowlands Stadium on July 19th, will be rescheduled for 2011.

U2 tour producer/promoter Arthur Fogel, CEO of Live Nation Global Touring, said, 'Although we understand the disappointment to U2 fans, first and foremost comes the recovery of Bono.'

Additional details on rescheduled dates will follow shortly and fans are encouraged to hold on to their tickets. We'll have all the information on U2.com as soon as it's confirmed.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/north-american-dates-will-be-rescheduled-in-2011

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

Hey the Darkness were awesome, well first album was.

Shit the injury was bad. "Bono sustained an injury to his back during preparation for the North American third leg of the tour, the damage to which included sciatica, a ligament tear, a herniated disc, and partial paralysis of his lower leg and resulted in the need for emergency spine surgery at Ludwig Maximilians-University Hospital in Munich."

Shit the injury was bad. "Bono sustained an injury to his back during preparation for the North American third leg of the tour, the damage to which included sciatica, a ligament tear, a herniated disc, and partial paralysis of his lower leg and resulted in the need for emergency spine surgery at Ludwig Maximilians-University Hospital in Munich."

Agreed.

Yeah, I heard Bono got his injury during rehearsal falling offstage, he got too close to The Edge.

Heard on the radio that other concerts are also postponed.

Was going to the aug 17th concert in Montreal.

Falling on the stage and or off the stage is something that happens to many artists. We'll just have to wait a little longer to see U2.

Axl didn't fall off the stage during the 2010 concerts, but he did slip and fall on his back during a concert. After the concert, when I asked him if he was hurt by the fall, he said that his hip hurt a little but that he was ok.

Bono must feel really bad, but these things happen, so we wish him all the best and also a quick recovery.

Partial paraysis in the lower leg could likely be due to the herniated disc (pressing against the nerves,it can mess with motor skills).

As soon as I heard this story I knew there would be more than one or two shows cancelled.

Nuerosuregry...that's serious shit.

Been all through this with a family member last year.

Personally I doubt if he'll be on the road at all this summer...and if he is,it won't be the same Bono,he's gotta be careful in regards to healing times and further stress to the areas of surgery.

Once you have back surgery,everything changes.

Edit:...didn't see Eric's post above.

Sounds like he's out for the summer.

With neurosurgery on your back,you're not up and bouncing around in a week or two.

The first week or two is getting off the serious pain killers...then coming to grips with the pain that is still there.

Then slowly letting that pain ebb and getting used to the discomfort that,for some,never leaves.

Then the physio (ie: painful exercises) and readjusting to walking.moving,bending properly etc.

It takes a while man,I've seen it.

He's out of commission for months...and if I had to throw a rough estimate out there,maybe the rest of this year.

He's 50,and just had neurosurgery on his back...life as he knew it has just altered.

Edited by zint61

Now postponed until 2011.

I knew it..it only makes sense.

And I doubt you will ever witness the same performance (physically) out of Bono again.

You just can't contort your back or body the same way after neuosurgery on your back.

Edited by zint61

Agreed.

Yeah, I heard Bono got his injury during rehearsal falling offstage, he got too close to The Edge.

:laugh::thumbsup:

At this stage, U2's more like a hobby that makes him money. The dude's going to be 50 by the time U2 are back on the road, but U2 is aging - the band has to play the songs in a lower key because he would blow his voice out singing the way he used to. Bono isn't jumping into pits anymore. I think he said he dove 30 feet of the stage back in the day and realized he'd better stop because he was pushing his luck. One day he'd dive and hit the ground hard. So he stopped.

Usually the drummers are the ones who get the most injuries, the hearing and the back go on them more than anyone else. Usually singers keep themselves in great physical shape.

They played plenty of shows. You can't always assume a band is going to be around forever. I mean, there were prob. some people back in the early 90s that were going "GNR's sold out, eh, they'll be back around in a few years". Or when Jimmy Page said "I want to see Hendrix but I'll see him next time". Or when people who skipped Zeppelin in 77 thought there would be a US tour in 1980. Or those who were planning to see Elvis in NY in September 1977.

Shit happens, but at least he gets to recover anywhere in the world he wants to spend the next year, and have his celeb friends keeping him company. Edge will prob, come up with some new songs or do some philanthropy stuff.

Odds are he'll be in Angelina Jolie's hospital bed in France when she had the babies, then go to some amazing beachfront place to do his rehab.

You can't always assume a band is going to be around forever. I mean, there were prob. some people back in the early 90s that were going "GNR's sold out, eh, they'll be back around in a few years". Or when Jimmy Page said "I want to see Hendrix but I'll see him next time". Or when people who skipped Zeppelin in 77 thought there would be a US tour in 1980. Or those who were planning to see Elvis in NY in September 1977.

Shit happens

I was supposed to see Skynard's Street Survivors tour...

• 1 month later...