Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

What is funny is that the press generally gives negative reviews of GNR shows. It’s weird to find a journalist who criticizes the band as regards music, not as regards the absence of Slash. One clear and recent example was Belfast show. The crowd loved the show, there was no problem, everything was ok, but the telegraph gave a completely different view of the show. They gave GNR two stars and bashed the band and Axl throughout the article. In Dublin, yeah, things went wrong with crowd and Axl. But what’s the difference? If GNR make a good show or not, it’s the same for the press :shrugs:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems things are coming to a bit of a "crisis" point, for lack of a better word.

Times have changed. Opinions are no longer word of mouth, they are passed immediately via Twitter, Facebook, and other avenues of social media, so by the time the "official" word gets out, it's far too late and seen as a whitewash, not more valid than the hundreds of tweets that have been delivered and passed on.

People are hurting for money. Saying to take the day off work, get a hotel room, etc., is completely unrealistic. It's most likely not going to happen. People want to take a few hours, go to a concert, and then resume their lives. Missing their ONLY transportation home to do this is not cutting it. Here in the states, we pretty much all drive to a venue. That's not how it is in other countries. Public transportation is HUGE and that transportation does not give a shit that Axl doesn't like to start a concert in a timely manner.

I'm not going to do any "Axl should's" here. He'll do what he wants. And so will the crowds and those who attend any concerts. No one can make Axl do anything and only Axl could help make the crowds do something. I'm not holding my breath for improvement.

On arrival at the o2 Arena I grabbed a bottle of drink (Non-alcoholic) as did my Sis who was coming along because I said how great the current lineup is, how Axl has been sounding really good in the past year of touring etc. I had booked standing tickets way back in early June but unfortunately since I ended up on crutches. Right, bit of a bitch but I couldn't change to seated by then so screw it - I will go in on crutches and expected the band to be on by 11pm at the latest.

Danko Jones come on the stage, interact with the crowd - the response was generally positive. About 8-10 songs in they present their new single which from my experience is generally a way a support band generally finish their show. They play 2 songs from their new album and then they say "we're gonna play a few more songs" and about 3 songs later "we're gonna play a couple more songs"

NOTE: I wouldn't recognize Del James so can't comment if he was saying to extend their set - the people around me seemed to think it a bit odd that they were playing so long, as did I.

Danko Jones finished their set at 9.15 and the tech's / roadies started taking apart the Danko kit and started setting up the GnR set. Firstly it was a guitar tech bringing out one of the guitars, strumming it and checking the floor pedals. Cue this repeated on another set of pedals. Then another guitar comes out with the same tech guy.... he tries it on both pedals.

The boo's are starting to grow louder with chants of we want Slash. I told some drunk or stoned guy to fuck off to a Slash gig then... I don't think he understood the logic of that though (He was ENGLISH and a moron, so don't blame the Irish alone) Random cheers every now and again where I presume people could see DJ or Bumble (judging by the comments I have since read on here)

It is now coming up for 10.10 and I have now been on my feet and crutches with 1 broken hip bone, 1 cracked hip bone and very bruised hands being pushed all around by people pushing through to the front or going back to grab another drink to quench the thirst - boy did we need an industrial Air Con system in that place I at no point boo - I expect this sort of thing at a GnR gig. I am prepared for a wait until 11 or so.

People are still fucking about on stage doing the same checks over and over.. boo's are continuing. Then the lights go out... CHINESE DEMOCRACY starts but sections of the crowd are still booing and you can clearly hear it. A few bottles are going toward stage, mainly at Axl and DJ as they were closest to the edge of the stage. WTTJ plays... another bottle and cups of drink go over the stage - AXL stops the show, speaks to the crowd, starts playing again.

End of Sorry, Axl starts to do an introduction, the guy in front of me throws a bottle and it goes right over Axl. It wasn't full of piss I can guarentee that. I will also say, people WERE pissing in bottles, but not throwing them.

The guys walk off. Security don't say to leave, nothing happens for a good 10 minutes as the boo's continue. A woman comes on stage and says "We are having technical difficulties" which is greeting by jeers and booing.

For the next 45 minutes, nobody really knows whats going on but at no point to security say to go. A fight broke out behind me where bins were being thrown, a security guard got floored etc. I was staying, I was going to be the last one to leave

Axl and the band come back on stage, Tommy gives a speech to the crowd and things start up again. Axl looks like he doesn't give a crap and his voice is screeching and nowhere near as good as it was. Only YCBM was a decent effort.

The rest of the band are fab, they sounded really good. Pity Axl was the weak link.

Guest RonMexico82

I will be posting some more info. in a bit about the gig and why it went so wrong. There are still bits of information that will shed light on why the audience was so pissed off. I'll also be posting a frank opinion of Axl's actions, which I deliberately left out of my review earlier as I was still pissed off.

Well, if everyone knows that throwing things can cause a cancellation of the concert from what happened in Dublin, you'd think they were learn not to be so stupid. The people who do it, know it could wreck it for everyone but do it anyway. So people in the crowd have to stop the guy to protect their own show. Do you think those idiots won't throw things if the band shows up on time? Of course not, because they're idiots regardless.

I share the same opinion.

We know that if you throw something, the show can be cancelled. Many people of the crowd were so drunk that didn't care, and these people want refunds now? hahaha.

I will be posting some more info. in a bit about the gig and why it went so wrong. There are still bits of information that will shed light on why the audience was so pissed off. I'll also be posting a frank opinion of Axl's actions, which I deliberately left out of my review earlier as I was still pissed off.

Good stuff man, enjoyed your last write up

Guest RonMexico82

Well, if everyone knows that throwing things can cause a cancellation of the concert from what happened in Dublin, you'd think they were learn not to be so stupid. The people who do it, know it could wreck it for everyone but do it anyway. So people in the crowd have to stop the guy to protect their own show. Do you think those idiots won't throw things if the band shows up on time? Of course not, because they're idiots regardless.

We know that if you throw something, the show can be cancelled. Many people of the crowd were so drunk that didn't care, and these people want refunds now? hahaha.

Two people threw the bottles that stopped the show spoiling the entire gig for the other 13,998 fans that were there. You can't expect somebody who is watching the stage to be looking out for someone who may or may not be about to throw a bottle. What you two just posted is illogical.

The rest of the band are fab, they sounded really good. Pity Axl was the weak link.

I've seen the videos. You can see an angry Axl. Hehe. Next time, don't throw so much bottles. Just one... :rofl-lol:

I nearly decked the guy in front who threw the walk-off causing bottle.

Two people threw the bottles that stopped the show spoiling the entire gig for the other 13,998 fans that were there. You can't expect somebody who is watching the stage to be looking out for someone who may or may not be about to throw a bottle. What you two just posted is illogical.

I’ve been in shows where people were throwing things. If they’re just a couple of guys, the rest tell them to stop it. It seems in Dublin, most of the fans were throwing bottles some empty and others filled with something. Unfortunately, most of the crowd didn’t want the show, they wanted slash. I feel sorry for those who wanted to hear the band, but it wasn’t the desire of most of the people there. One thing is one bottle or maybe two... :tongue2: but this wasn't the case. The crowd kept throwing things.

Guest RonMexico82

I’ve been in shows where people were throwing things. If they’re just a couple of guys, the rest tell them to stop it. It seems in Dublin, most of the fans were throwing bottles some empty and others filled with something. Unfortunately, most of the crowd didn’t want the show, they wanted slash. I feel sorry for those who wanted to hear the band, but it wasn’t the desire of most of the people there. One thing is one bottle or maybe two... :tongue2: but this wasn't the case. The crowd kept throwing things.

Were you there?

Were you there?

I was there.

No one that I hear was chanting for slash.

Two, maybe three bottles were thrown on stage in a 22 minute period; no bottles were thrown after Axl came back on.

This 'Axl was bottled' thing is getting out of control. One plastic cup was thrown on stage; Axl made an ultimatum. Then a second one was thrown about fifteen minutes later and he left.

There was no mass throwing of things (except for a brief moment when he left and the lights came on- however these were thrown at the empty stage).

I've seen the videos. You can see an angry Axl. Hehe. Next time, don't throw so much bottles. Just one... :rofl-lol:

I nearly decked the guy in front who threw the walk-off causing bottle.

Poor Chris. What a moment! :(

Guest RonMexico82

Ploease, people who make concert threads UPDATE THE FIRST POST

I'd like to know what went down, but i ain't reading through 60 pages

Here is my experience of the gig. The band returned to the stage at 11.30 and played until 1am but Axl just stood still for the rest of the gig and phoned it in.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=165056&st=855

I was there.

Two, maybe three bottles were thrown on stage in a 22 minute period; no bottles were thrown after Axl came back on.

In some reviews, fans said that the crowd was chanting for slash.

3 bottles in 22 minutes?? I think you should have waited more :laugh:

Guest RonMexico82

I was there.

In some reviews, fans said that the crowd was chanting for slash.

3 bottles in 22 minutes?? I think you should have waited more :laugh:

This isn't very funny to the people who were there so unless you have something constructive to add try and show a bit of solidarity to your fellow fans who were fucked over instead of laughing in their faces. Cheers.

I Concur with the post above,

The one way to stop this is to Just stop throwing shit -

stupid jobless irish twats

@Uzilover15

Are you a stupid fuckwit or what???

Do you want me to call you and everyone there "Scumbag English Soccer Hooligans" because your country has had more than it's fair share of mindless thugs giving you a bad name,

So should we all brand everyone in the UK with this brush???? - I think not!!!! We have the respect to know that it's only a few bad seeds who cause these problems and that the other 99% of the crowd and supporters are decent respecitble people!!!

Don't go disrespecting my Nation and branding everyone with the same brush!! And for what it's worth without getting into a slagging match - I can assure you, I have a far better job than you have!!!

No offence intended to UK people!!!

Now to the Concert in Question:

I was very sad and upset by what happened on Wednesday night!! Being a life long GnR fan since 1988, I couldn't believe this shit went down :(

Those fuckers with the bottles should have been harshly removed from the stadium and ejected through the exit doors using their heads to open the doors!!

But Come on AXL!!! What was the Baby Childish behaviour all about!!!

Not so much as a "Hello Dublin" to the crowd or "Sorry we were delayed getting on" - That would have made things instantly better, but the first words out of his mouth were threats!!! That will not go down well in Ireland!!! People felt he was adding Insult to Injury!!

I was very upset by it, then when he started playing again, I couldnt enjoy the songs!!

Now regarding the Bottle Incidents - I saw guys coming from the Bar carrying plastic cups with Beer - But also they were carrying opened Smirnoff Ice Bottles, which I can only assume they got from the bar (it looked that way) and these were glass bottles!!!

I said to my friend, I can't believe they have Glass bottles as there is only one thing that can happen once they are empty - and that is they will be tossed through the air either at other fans or at the band!!!

Now if Glass Bottles were thrown at the Band, I can totally appreciate Axl's concerns and that, but I still can't approve of his behaviour!!! He should have had the Security throw those fuckers out!!!!

He was pissed off from the second he walked on the stage!! He ripped the box off at the start and threw it at the Roadie guy, then walked off stage during the first song!!

When he stormed off - at Richard F's introduction and took the band with him, we were at the back of the concert hall and the Security people said that's it the show is over and ushered us out of the Hall!!!

Now I hear they came back and finished the set :(

How pissed am I???? Plus we have been told - No refunds will be given, although I am going to fight this one all the way!!!!

Looking at the footage of the band coming back on, I can't believe he stood there like a Spoilt Brat and didn''t dance around or anything for the rest of the songs and set!!! That's just so unprofessional!!! I mean how much is he getting paid for that night!??!?

I saw Iron Maiden a few months back, and they got hit with just as much plastic glasses and beer etc, and they didn't bat an eyelid!!! Isn't there a section of Slash's book which says in the early GnR days they had a spitting contenst with the front row and when they came off stage

they were covered in phloem and what not!!! Isn't this Rock and Roll, not that I approve of anyone throwing shit at bands etc, but his behaviour was wrong from the start!!!

Fair play to the rest of the guys in the band - they did their professional best to keep everything going even when AXL decided to Sulk the rest of the night away!!!

I'm sorry this happened in Dublin!! It should have been an amazing show and a great night for everyone!!!! But unfortunately it wasn't too be!!! A lot of people were very upset by the events and will never forget it!!

It could have all been prevented and dealt with a lot better!!! GnR 2006 was an amzaing show in Ireland (But for once they started on time that night!!!)....

Didn't Axl learn his lesson the week before in Reading and Leeds or was this just another show of DIVA Arrogance - and He will show us attitude!!!

Well AXL I hope you have finally learned your lesson - because you lost an awful lot of fans Wednesday night and upset everyone including your bandmates (who you also seem to have no respect for)!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!!

Edited by Irish_Man

hey ron read your review i have one somewhere buried in this 60 page mammoth and i echo all your sentiments about the gig but i stayed and it was the second part that annoyed me the most the spoilt brat attitude leaning against an amp singing sweet child is just fucking annoying,saying that like we spoke about on boards.ie the other such a shame all them dicks on the boards thread where proven right..

Guest RonMexico82

hey ron read your review i have one somewhere buried in this 60 page mammoth and i echo all your sentiments about the gig but i stayed and it was the second part that annoyed me the most the spoilt brat attitude leaning against an amp singing sweet child is just fucking annoying,saying that like we spoke about on boards.ie the other such a shame all them dicks on the boards thread where proven right..

I know man, we went out of our way over there to defend this band and then the gig just verifies everything the haters were saying. Lesson learned I guess, I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Today, pretty much all nations are multi-cultural.

If one were to be racist against a nation as you say is possible, you would essentially be acting on yourself, as there is an almost 100% chance there are people sharing your own culture/history/language etc.. living in that country.

True and that's why racists are idiots.

Major idiots, I agree.

Possible to be racist against a nation... no.

Many, many years ago it would have been possible to make a racist statement against a nation, as there were virtually no immigrants. Everyone living in a country would be the same race and share their history.

Bit off topic :xmassrudolph:

off topic definitely

but nation refers to culture

your mixing it up with state

you can have a multi culturual state

you cant have a multi cultural nation

hence the phrase nation state refering to a homogenous state

on topic

axl sulk helped

it means he was able to sing

I know man, we went out of our way over there to defend this band and then the gig just verifies everything the haters were saying. Lesson learned I guess, I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Im in the same boat as you man,im actually still gutted my sis brought my nephew along and she left because she thought there was gonna be a riot cause she seen them in wembley and slane back in the illusions days so she knew the craic the little man is only 6 and loves GNR and he was actually upset cause he was dying to see the gig....felt like a giant kick in the balls

Guest RonMexico82

I was talking to two fans who stuck it out until the end of the gig. I met them yesterday on the train home. They described Ask as standing at the back like a statue and said he was "a sulking little bollix." Not everyone who stayed appreciated his attitude.