Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

The smirnoff ice bottles were actually plastic bottles (I held one); they just looked like the glass bottles.

Oh really????

Shit yeah they certainly looked glass, well then is all this fuss over a plastic bottle???? :(

Again not that I approve of anyone throwing anything Plastic or Otherwise - But come on???

He wanted to go from the start - and that was the perfect excuse!!!

Well the bottle I held was plastic. I cannot say that all bottles were (e.g. the heineken bottles).

However I cannot see a venue like that allowing any glass bottles in. If someone from a seating area

threw a glass bottle into the crowd it would kill someone. The guards and the o2 would know that.

With all due respect, this is exactly why it is best to have a cautious approach from the band's perspective especially given what happened to Duff in 1993 when he was knocked unconscious. And if, as you say, the plastic bottles look like glass bottles, it may be easy to mistake them for glass bottles.

Ali

Im sure duff wasnt knocked unconscious by being hit by a plastic cup which is what it appears was thrown at Dublin

Edited by yorkie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a rock show so just be grateful they came on.

What the fuck sort of attitude is this... seriously. This statement is ridiculous. Be grateful they came on!?? You said it yourself:

You paid 70 euro for a ticket

People need to get out of Axl's ass and realise he's not doing us all a massive favour by deciding to eventually appear on stage... we're paying him good money to DO HIS FUCKING JOB.

And Ali... you can end your tireless crusade against bottle throwers for christs sake. We get it. Throwing projectiles at a band is wrong.

The smirnoff ice bottles were actually plastic bottles (I held one); they just looked like the glass bottles.

Oh really????

Shit yeah they certainly looked glass, well then is all this fuss over a plastic bottle???? :(

Again not that I approve of anyone throwing anything Plastic or Otherwise - But come on???

He wanted to go from the start - and that was the perfect excuse!!!

Well the bottle I held was plastic. I cannot say that all bottles were (e.g. the heineken bottles).

However I cannot see a venue like that allowing any glass bottles in. If someone from a seating area

threw a glass bottle into the crowd it would kill someone. The guards and the o2 would know that.

With all due respect, this is exactly why it is best to have a cautious approach from the band's perspective especially given what happened to Duff in 1993 when he was knocked unconscious. And if, as you say, the plastic bottles look like glass bottles, it may be easy to mistake them for glass bottles.

Ali

Im sure duff wasnt knocked unconscious by being hit by a plastic cup which is what it appears was thrown at Dublin

No offense, but you seem to have completely missed the point.

Edit: Here is an account from kennyabis at chinesedemocracy.com, who attended the Dublin show. Here are his words: "Before Guns came on I got hit with a plastic bottle that still had a lot of liquid in it, the corner of the lid caught me right on the crown of my head and it hurt like hell, my vision got blurry and by throat went numb, thankfully it seemed to subside byt the time Guns came onstage. Although after the gig I ended up having a terrible migraine and lost sight in my left eye. Thankfully I managed to sleep through the worst of it on the bus journey home. In conclusion whether they where glass or not they are still feckin dangerous and I can totally understand were Axl was coming from."

page 10 of the Dublin thread: http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php/topic,46631.135.html

Nobodys Fault: Obviously, not everyone "gets it" as there are some who believe that because the objects were only plastic, no real threat was posed. Sorry, but to me, that isn't "getting it".

axl 666: I agree that it was not fair for everyone to pay for the poor choices of a few. I would be upset too. I understand and appreciate your sentiment on that issue.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Axl Knows, go fuck yourself. If this had happened at a show you attended then you would probably still be crying and cutting yourself in 2 years time. At least try to enter in the conversation, or GTFO of the thread.

Nah, I'd get over it. I've had similar experiences at concerts, and I wasn't complaining. Now quit with the cussing or else your mother just might have to wash your mouth out with soap water.

And I'd rather stick around for the thread thanks. I love watching ya'll whining.

Edited by Axl Knows

I remember being at the very front of the GNR/Metallica show at RFK Stadium and during the long wait before GNR, many of the 50,000 fans up in the stands were throwing anything they could get their hands on at the fans on the ground to alleviate their boredom and express their frustration at the wait. I remember looking up it was almost like a mass of confetti with all of the stuff coming down on us. Mostly it was large plastic/paper cups flattened so people could sling them with some speed. It was pretty idiotic of them and getting hit by the especially well thrown items stung a little but, but I had fun with it - no complains, no whining. However, without the long wait that wouldn't have happened, and it didn't happen until towards the end of the wait. It was a great show with Estranged in the encore being probably my favorite part. But I digress... the more you make people wait, the more stupidity will occur. He's so concerned about he and his band getting hit with things, what about the fans that he cares so much about being pelted with things while they wait? Like the kennyabis guy mentioned above that got hit with the liquid-filled bottle. Each time this happens increases the likelihood that a fan (or several fans) will be injured and sooner a later the band or the venue will be sued. The venues are aware of this and see what's going on, which makes this band a liability and a risk to book.

Make all the excuses you want for him and explain it away with the "he's always late" line, but I would think that people on this forum ideally want to see this band live somewhere at some point, whether it be for the first time of the fifteenth time. The chances of that are going down with each fiasco, whether or not the "fiasco" is perceived, real, or exaggerated. It's a different world than it was in 1992. News travels immediately, people are lawsuit-happy, and the economy is bad - when people put out what little money they have, they don't want to be disrespected for doing so. At the end of the day it's his gun and his foot. He loves to pull the trigger and sooner or later is going hit the bulls-eye.

It was a rock show so just be grateful they came on.

What the fuck sort of attitude is this... seriously. This statement is ridiculous. Be grateful they came on!?? You said it yourself:

You paid 70 euro for a ticket

People need to get out of Axl's ass and realise he's not doing us all a massive favour by deciding to eventually appear on stage... we're paying him good money to DO HIS FUCKING JOB.

And Ali... you can end your tireless crusade against bottle throwers for christs sake. We get it. Throwing projectiles at a band is wrong.

Right so I'll explain a little more since only one side of the coin is visible to you.

Grateful they came on? What's worse? A gig that starts late or one that doesn't start at all? Yes grateful they came on.

I also said in my previous posts that I was disappointed Axl left and I thought he should have sucked it up. Did you miss that part maybe?

Tickets were approx 70 euro - Correct.

Axl came on a bit late - Correct.

So there's two choices that were made that night:

1) Be grateful they came on and enjoy the two and a half hour rock show you paid to see.

2) Try and spoil the gig. Yes he gave a warning so anyone who threw anything then made that choice!

I feel for anybody who had problems caused by this BUT me and many others were there too. I also paid for my ticket. I also took time off work. I also travelled a long way as I don't live in Dublin either. I also paid for a hotel for the night. I spent a lot of money too. Axl coming on late wasn't going to spoil my night. Many others were the same. So why just because some people missed the feckin LUAS etc should they ruin it for me and everyone else who paid just as much money and made the same if not more effort to be there? It sucks for you but how dare you spoil it for others.

I know which attitude I took and fuck you if you disagree and think throwing shit at the person who already gave a warning is a better attitude.

He could have said:

"Hello Dublin, sorry we're late, looks like we'll be here till after midnight"

That would have settled the crowd, but he never addressed them once.

It's was highly disrespectful.

Spot on M8!!

This is exactly what I have been saying, but some people don't seem to get the point I am trying to make!!

Talk and Welcome your audience... Don't Strut and Antagonize!!!!

Guest RonMexico82
Everybody who is unhappy should fuck off - Dizzy Reed

What a nerve. He should take his own advice.

Edited by RonMexico82

While I'd be bummed not to see the snake dance, his voice sounded incredible when sitting or standing in one spot and not running around constantly. I hope something the same quality as the Osaka show comes out of this, because it sounds like the best performance of Better and SOD I've heard.

While I'd be bummed not to see the snake dance, his voice sounded incredible when sitting or standing in one spot and not running around constantly. I hope something the same quality as the Osaka show comes out of this, because it sounds like the best performance of Better and SOD I've heard.

That was accidental!! If he knew this would have been the case he would have run around so he sounded worse :) He was trying his best to sulk and upset everyone no matter what it took!!

The rest of the band came back and didn't sulk and they were subjected to the same crap from the assholes in the crowd!!

Better was pardon the pun Better in 2006 I thought!!?? First time I heard it live I thought it was amazing!!!

Now that we are on the topic - Is there any CDs / DVDs / Blu Rays of the new GnR Band??? I practically wore out the GnR Live ERA CDs (Now I have them on iPhone so thats ok) - But surely there is

some good digital quality recordings of the new band with all those shows they have done???

The only DVDs I have is the Use Your Illusion DVDs and these are PCM DVDs....

Are there any DTS or Dolby Digital recordings of any shows of the new GnR band preferabbly with BucketHead in the lineup as I think he was the best GnR guitarist!?

Guest RonMexico82

Lol, keep crying guys. rofl-lol.gif

Keep trying to cupcake.

pot meet kettle

Excuse me? Axl Knows has added nothing to this thread except repeated efforts to cupcake.

Forum Rules

2) Message must make sense, contain a real topic for people to debate, contain more than just an emoticon

It's a bad time for GN'R that's for sure. If it carries on this way Axl will lose many casual fans. If I were at the Dublin show I would have been gutted and I can see why many people were angry/upset. I also don't think the future looks bright if Axl insists on hitting the stage at half ten every night. I'm sure many of the people who were at Dublin would think twice about seeing GN'R again.

I don't really care what other people say when pretty much ALL other big name acts are three quarters of the way (or more) through their set at half ten you know something's up.

The vast majority of concert goers aren't like people on here. They wouldn't shell out money on a hotel, wait for hours at a train station or outside the venue, take a day off work just to see a GN'R show. It also seems that the only people who are completely okay with Axl hitting the stage at half ten are people on here. Hell, I'm not okay with the late starts, I put up with them as I'm a huge GN'R fan but I could never defend them.

Throwing bottles is inexcusable and could seriously hurt people (including people in the crowd!) so I understand why Axl did what he did but then you have to see that such a scenario would probably be avoided if he just hit the stage at a normal time. Not everyone lives and breathes GN'R and as such won't put up with as much as people on here do.

There's a solution to this: print the start time on the ticket and play smaller venues to the diehard fans. However, I doubt this will ever happen.

I'll be interested to see how the rest of the tour progresses and hopefully things will improve.

On an unrelated note I went to a Robert Plant show last night, he hit the stage just gone nine, had a great connection to the audience, did a great set and finished around 10:50. [and therefore I managed to get home and didn't need a hotel or to wait around at a train station.] None of the crowd bottled him even if it wasn't completely a heavy rock show and the Zeppelin tunes were rearranged. His voice was fantastic and had a great stage presence. Now there's a true professional.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Revisionist history is now rearing its ugly head. Suddenly it's plastic cups?

No people, some video clearly show bottles. Are they plastic? Maybe, but a full plastic bottle with lid on can do some serious damage!

So quit making excuses for the gutter trash who pulled this crap. No one's blaming the Irish as a whole - just the assholes who caused this mess. Lots of other bands have stopped shows for bottles, yes just plastic bottles.

Or, would anyone like to stand there while I whip one in their face - even though it's "only plastic" (but filled to the brim with a cap on and heavy).

Guest RonMexico82

So now its filled to the brim? Revisionist history works both ways pal. I was there. The first thing thrown was a plastic cup and the spray hit Axl. Not a full pint, spray. The other thing thrown was an empty plastic bottle.

So now its filled to the brim? Revisionist history works both ways pal. I was there. The first thing thrown was a plastic cup and the spray hit Axl. Not a full pint, spray. The other thing thrown was an empty plastic bottle.

Did you see the glass bottles all over the place. people were spotted pissing in bottles in the smoking garden.

Before the assholes left the place was a war zone.

Took Axl's follow up on his promise to set people straight and for them to reliaze he wasn't playing around.

Remove that massive chip dude.

I saw him get nailed with a full pint a bit before he gave the first warning. Hit him in the upper chest and exploded all over his face and down his front. Looked like a lot more than spray to me. Hopefully it wasn't piss - I guess some people would now hope it was :lol:

On the bright side of this thread, none of you whiners are complaining about the setlists............. Till of course the next show when you have nothing else to cry about!

Somebody call a wahmbulance, because this thread is full of crybabies.

Guest RonMexico82

Did you see the glass bottles all over the place. people were spotted pissing in bottles in the smoking garden.

Before the assholes left the place was a war zone.

Took Axl's follow up on his promise to set people straight and for them to reliaze he wasn't playing around.

Remove that massive chip dude.

I never expected you off all people to actually be an apologist for Axl Rose treating Irish fans like shit. Which is what he did when they came back on and he phoned in a performance. I thought more of you man.