In defense of Buckethead....

Kaneda

Why do people keep posting Jordan anyway? It's not like it's Bucket's best piece, not even close.

Try this;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5V67VSHH

Okay let me point this out from a guitarists view, finger picking all 3 fingers(plus pick) with sweeps. No Bucket cannot match this in technical ability.

nice yet unlistenable.

See the difference is, Bucket uses his gifts for the good of the listener:

I never said which one is more listenable, I listen to Bucket more often them Bumble, but Ron is the better guitarist.

I suggest you go and re-read post #16.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Buckethead left because he got sick of waiting for CD to be released. Can't blame him in retrospect. Do you think Bucket would be happy being on the 2010 tour? They are only playing 6 songs a night off the new album at this point, and 3 of the songs they are playing have been played since 01. I'll always wonder what could have been. Bucket was the new band for me. At this point I'm just hoping that they find a way to get the rest of the Bucket era material out. I am curious to see what the 2010 lineup can do in the studio but I'm not holding out for anything at this point. It's a shame that it's so hard for New GNR to get the record company to release their albums.

Edited by ITW 2012

Okay let me point this out from a guitarists view, finger picking all 3 fingers(plus pick) with sweeps. No Bucket cannot match this in technical ability.

nice yet unlistenable.

I never said which one is more listenable, I listen to Bucket more often them Bumble, but Ron is the better guitarist.

Bucket's the better overall guitarist, Ron's a good technician. That is all.

nice yet unlistenable.

How much of Rons solo stuff have you heard? Download an album called Adventures of Bumblefoot, it's an instramental album. Believe me, Rons is every bit as good in terms of "Writing" and "Feeling" and much more so in technical abilty that Bucket....that makes him a better guitarist.

nice yet unlistenable.

How much of Rons solo stuff have you heard? Download an album called Adventures of Bumblefoot, it's an instramental album. Believe me, Rons is every bit as good in terms of "Writing" and "Feeling" and much more so in technical abilty that Bucket....that makes him a better guitarist.

I've heard all of Ron's solo stuff and all of Bucket's, and I agree with moreblack.

How much Bucket stuff have you heard?

nice yet unlistenable.

I've heard all of Ron's solo stuff and all of Bucket's, and I agree with moreblack.

How much Bucket stuff have you heard?

I own 41 Buckethead albums, all of which I bought(I'm including Praxis stuff too). Have you listened to all of Bumbles albums? What about Hermit and Adventures of Bumblefoot? They are discontinued fairly rare album, I bought Hermit launch day.

BIG WHOOP!!

Let me point this out to you from a guitarist's point of view, here Bucket is doing 8 finger tapping(1.40 minutes) not to mention his finger picking string skipping on the acoustic(.10 seconds). Saying Bucket can't match Ron's technical ability is laughable at least.

BIG WHOOP!!

Let me point this out to you from a guitarist's point of view, here Bucket is doing 8 finger tapping(1.40 minutes) not to mention his finger picking string skipping on the acoustic(.10 seconds). Saying Bucket can't match Ron's technical ability is laughable at least.

No it's not, tapping is much easier than chicken picking will all fingers and sweeping 5 notes .

BIG WHOOP!!

No it's not, tapping is much easier than chicken picking will all fingers and sweeping 5 notes .

So your saying Bucket can't do chicken picking?!? You must have missed the 2002 Bucket solo spots... Oh and sweeping, oh my...no guitarist has ever sweeped before... certainly not Bucket, Yngwie, Chris Broderick, Marty Friedman... Only Ron can do such a thing...

BIG WHOOP!!

So your saying Bucket can't do chicken picking?!? You must have missed the 2002 Bucket solo spots... Oh and sweeping, oh my...no guitarist has ever sweeped before... certainly not Bucket, Yngwie, Chris Broderick, Marty Friedman... Only Ron can do such a thing...

Bucket cannot chickenpick at Rons pace. And in terms of sweeping, yea Bucket can sweep(Better is a great example) but educate yourself before you talk out of your ass, listen to ALL of Rons albums like I listened to all of buckets, then you'll know that Ron is the much better sweeper. Also take a look at a song called "I can't play the Blues" it's a song that makes fun of Yngwie(Terrible guitarist) and Marty(overrated).

This enough Bucket?

there is literally no bucket involved. no capes, no nunchucks, nothing.

Jackie you're doing it wrong, close your eyes, now imagine Ron with a Bucket on his head and he is playing the song one handed with the other spinning nunchucks.

I own 41 Buckethead albums, all of which I bought(I'm including Praxis stuff too).

That only leaves about 80 more albums that you haven't heard.

Yes I've heard all of Ron's stuff.

You're losing this argument dude :)

I own 41 Buckethead albums, all of which I bought(I'm including Praxis stuff too).

That only leaves about 80 more albums that you haven't heard.

Yes I've heard all of Ron's stuff.

You're losing this argument dude :)

Lol, in only missing 4 more Buckethead albums(one is Population Override, I still need a hard disk of that). So of the Ron albums, name your top 3 and why because I do not believe you one bit. You would be the second person I ran into on this forum with Hermit(Glow101 is the other).

Lol, in only missing 4 more Buckethead albums(one is Population Override, I still need a hard disk of that). So of the Ron albums, name your top 3 and why because I do not believe you one bit. You would be the second person I ran into on this forum with Hermit(Glow101 is the other).

If you count collaboration albums, you're missing way more than 4 dude, like I said, there's around 80 more you haven't heard.

I don't really get off on Ron's solo stuff, but my favorite 3 are Abnormal, 911, and Hands. As for Hermit, I don't own an official copy but have downloaded it in the past. It didn't do anything for me so I got rid of it.

edit: scratch that 80 figure. Just did a count of his discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead_discography

If you consider ISOT as being 13 albums, that brings the total amount of albums that Bucket has been involved with to 175. Yes one hundred and seventy five albums. You've heard less than a quarter. Seeing as his best stuff (IMHO) is the collaborations, you've got some listening to do :)

What collabs have you heard besides Praxis?

Edited by ashysdad

Personally buckethead is my favorite guitarist. I'm not a guitar player (although when I'm drunk I think I'm the best guitarest and pianist ever). To me judging my favorite guitar player isnt purely technique. It's soul and style. Songs like whitewash, soothsayer, king James, cookies for Santa, etc. Are what makes him the best in my opinion. I think most of what I've read about him would agree. Most people think he's the best, the ones who don't always follow it with a comment about his 'freaky' appearance. I'm nit saying Ron isn't great, but from the limited amount of solo stuff I've heard and some of his stuff on cd ( shackler, rhiad) he just kind of seems like an off the wall type. Like " look how many far apart notes I can play". Yeah it may be complicated but it doesn't gave the bluesy soul feel which most of the buckethead songs do. By the way I love shackler and rhiad. Solos took some getting used to though..

I like both. Bumble is a better team player for a rock band. Bucket's creativity can be limited just a little by having to write music in a group. Bumble varies his style to fit the gnr sound, bucket has to reinvent the sound. Both are awesome guitarists, if we look at solo work, I prefer bucket's songwriting. As for Guns N' Roses and the live shows, I prefer Bumble because the gimmick doesn't limit the band as much.

Edited by steveysham

Guest gunns5

Bumble varies his style to fit the gnr sound, bucket has to reinvent the sound.

Best fucking Post ive read this year.

Both guitarist have added something the other couldn't.

Bucket is definitely great, the 2002 South Park N Roses band was pretty epic, it's a real shame that that version of the album didn't get out. The newer line up seems to be connecting with GNR fans in a similar way to the original line up did, it's amiddle ground. It's definitely been a fucked up situation but nobody can say it's been boring. Bucket (all these guys) are worthy of GNR and I'm glad I got exposed to them even if all I do is check out their stuff on youtube. Overall I don't really care about the guitarists as much as the songs, CD sounded epic in 2002, sounds great in 2010. The band could be Izzy, Pitman, Brain and Axl for all I care. I'm open to anything.

I don't quite understand what both player's degree of fret-wanking mastery really has to do with Guns's music...

The stuff that's on CD can be pretty much replicated live. I don't know about some of you guys but I am not the kind of guy that takes notes during a gig...