The General

rocker rockstar

I remember reading about how great the song the General was. I think it was Baz that said he heard it. Anyone else hear it? I think it could be amazing form what I read about it. It really makes one wounder what the other songs Axl recorded during the time he had to record Chinese Democracy the album. There must be many songs that are just laying around waiting to be released or ones we will never hear. Makes one want Axl to hurry up and release something. It just took so long to get Chinese D that I feel we are do more material. I don't want to wait years again to get another album. But I am worried it will take years again. Hopefully not tens of years to get another one.

Guest gunns5

Is it supposed to be similar to estranged? I read that some where.

If axl has to rerecord songs everytime someone quits the band it could take a long time to get another album. I am guessing DJ is rerecording parts. Maybe DJ is making compeletely new songs with Axl.

but do you think Axl would sacrifice quality for loyalty/whos in the band currently when they're ready to release an 8+year old song? Im not talking about full on solos (even though Axl chose to go with Rons solo over Brians) but song structure and riffs , would they be re arranged just because of a band member left x years before hand? or to make it sound more '201x'

as a lot have already said, the 2002 gnr band was a lot darker, and if cd was released back then it would of had a more industrial/darker feel to it then when it was released in 08.

Is The General the "big gun" that is going to change the world of music forever and make everybody say "It's obious that Axl doesn't need Slash anymore"?

that was obvious long ago. like when twat first leaked.

BucketAllGood4.jpg

Edited by Jackie Moon

Not being a dick here, but if "the general" is so badass.........why was is not on Chinese Democracy. You would think that if someone has worked on an album for sooooo long, they would put the best stuff they had on the album.

Not being a dick here, but if "the general" is so badass.........why was is not on Chinese Democracy. You would think that if someone has worked on an album for sooooo long, they would put the best stuff they had on the album.

One would think that, but if history has shown us anything it's that common sense is something that appears to be very much in short supply when it comes to Axl and those that run/guide GNR.

SEBASTIAN BACH: The World's Not Prepared For What I've Heard From AXL ROSE - Nov. 5, 2007

Metal Edge: Well, I've heard the six tracks that were leaked, and they're amazing.

Bach: But those aren't the final versions. He laughed about those. Those aren't the record. Those are some other version of whatever. One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "Fine" — and one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, peircing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, "When is this coming out?" And he said "2012" I was like, "Dude, you're killin' me!" He goes, "Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." He's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know...the world's not prepared for what I've heard from this guy. It's got the grandness and the epic-ness of "November Rain" but with the snarl, the attitude of "Appetite". Because the album that I've heard, a lot of the drumming is by Brain, who plays so heavy and mean. It's a really...grand is the word for it, but its still got that attitude. There's some great music comin' your way.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?Mode=Archive&Date=11/5/2007

I wish people would stop asking why The General wasn't on CD. There are tons of songs and "big guns" that didn't make CD because they were never intended for the first CD. They will more than likely appear on the upcoming new GNR record. And from what I hear they will be mostly unmolested as in Bumble will have some fingerprints on some of the songs like with CD. I can assume the next record will be the last one with the ever so great Bucklethead on it, which makes me sad, but, gotta move on.

One would think that, but if history has shown us anything it's that common sense is something that appears to be very much in short supply when it comes to Axl and those that run/guide GNR.

I think Axl or someone said that the best tracks werent all put on CD.

The leaks were put on becuase they had already been leaked.

Baz described "Sorry" EXACTLY the same way.....said it was Axl singing really clean over this low grinding beat and that it was fucking mean. His words...I'm paraphrasing.

I didn't think Sorry sounded like that AT ALL. I thought Sorry was OK, but certainly not one of the best on the album.

I wouldn't trust Baz's opinions on stuff like this....he's a bigger fanboy than most of us here, and no matter what Axl played for him, he's gonna say it was "fucking sick dude!"

Baz described "Sorry" EXACTLY the same way.....said it was Axl singing really clean over this low grinding beat and that it was fucking mean. His words...I'm paraphrasing.

I didn't think Sorry sounded like that AT ALL. I thought Sorry was OK, but certainly not one of the best on the album.

I wouldn't trust Baz's opinions on stuff like this....he's a bigger fanboy than most of us here, and no matter what Axl played for him, he's gonna say it was "fucking sick dude!"

"Axl singing really clean over this low grinding beat and that it was fucking mean"

It's hard to argue that Sorry didn't sound like that though. His description was right.

I disagree. I don't think the low grinding beat is nearly as pronounced as it would need to be for ME to define it as "fucking mean."

And I didn't think Axl's vocals were really clean....remember, this is the song with the infamous "don'twantodoeet" line.

I think Sorry is just an OK song....but I imagined something really different in my head from Baz's description.

Obviously we don't agree on this. Let's not start a flame war or anything....just different opinions OK?