Pearl Jam

WhazUp

Not being huge on radio friendly hard rock, their first two records are only passable for me. But their run from Vitalogy to Yield was glorious and their last record was more in line with that then the lesser ones of the early 00s. Best arena band ever. Period.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted_19765

Pearl Jam is just too white. I thought moderately hard about this for about ten seconds and I can't think of another reason why I don't like them that isn't covered by their whiteness. Harmonically there is actually more Blues in PJ than in their peers, but they just don't have the rhythm that Jane's Addiction or even Alice In Chains had. Some of Jerry Cantrell's riffs were fucking nasty and funky. There was that groove. I should appreciate Pearl Jam's benevolent spirit and freewheeling, earthy music, but I could never dance to them by myself.

AIC and Soundgarden were labelled "metal" in 1990, "grunge" in 1991.

PJ are a good live band that take the songs in different directions, and throw a cover song or two out to the fans. The "spirit of indie rock" is alive with them... they didn't really get upset about the money and success, it's the part where their label started pushing them hard on promotions, marketing, etc... which they did, but you just got the impression Vedder saw where the road led to, and was scared shitless of going down it, and didn't really want to be a poster boy of grunge rock, setting himself apart from the bandmates. They all seemed to work pretty hard on keeping it as cohesive as possible by relying on live shows over music videos to promote themselves. A video like "Jeremy" is definitely a memorable piece of film, as is "Smells Like Teen Spirit", or "Black Hole Sun". But at the end of the day, they have to be happy with the decisions they've made as a band, including turning down big money offers.

But even with "Ten", the band refused to do a video for "Black" and when "Daughter" came out, and you can see this on You Tube, they just had some pictures put to music.

Regarding posers and sellouts, Maynard said it best in "Hooker with a Penis".

Amount of crap in that thread is massive.

Where in AiC music you can find punk influences ? Soundgarden. It is true for Nirvana which was in nutshell punk rock band, and Pearl Jam as well to some extent.

Whole grunge term is one of the biggest bullshits in music. Alice in Chains and Nirvana are almost opposite in musical direction/influences/songwriting. AiC even didn't wore flanel shirts but black leather.

But I agree that Peral Jam although a great band were bunch of posers with that alternative shit ! They acted like they were upset that "Ten" was so succesfull and with that whole political crap

But I agree that Peral Jam although a great band were bunch of posers with that alternative shit ! They acted like they were upset that "Ten" was so succesfull and with that whole political crap

Yes, it is.

They "acted" like they were upset? Eddie wanted to quit the band around the time they got too big for him to handle it. They, or specifically he didn't want to ride the media like other so-called "rebels" of that era did, that's why there was for example no other music video for six years after Jeremy, hardly any promo for new music and still they were succesful. Should they be sorry for their on going succes?

They didn't even ride that whole Grunge term, listen to any other albums apart from Ten and Vs. Yeah, I guess they were imposers, Vitalogy or No Code are such a generic Grunge records, yeah right.

If they wouldn't have pulled the plug to some extent on all that media buzz, Eddie said he felt he would have gone the Cobain way, Cobains suicide hit him really bad.

But oh well, what am I doing here, the bullshit-opinions are already set in stone, I ain't gonna change anyones mind. All my post is going to spark is you guys twisting my words to point out what posers they are. :rofl-lol:

You were very nice only to pick something out of context , how an artist can be upset with album/work being succesfull ? It is a pose, media attention is other thing one can loathe it and that was a case with Pearl Jam. Two totally different things.

And it was nice that you missed comment about their political involvement , that's were they introduced themselves as a posers to the world. I can understand if it were subject of their music and interest from the Day 1, but how on earth multi millionaries living in huge mansions in USA know a shit about politics, they are far from society, they haven't experienced those problems that hue hypocrisy. I can understand U2 making music about political issues, but they've seen their sisters and brothers killed on the streets, lived in extreme poverty in country which was torn apart in almost every possible way. And who was Eddie Vedder ? Sure he had hard childhood but many children did, but he wasn't living in poverty, The Edge built his first guitar from some shitty scraps, Vedder got one on birthday he had never experienced social or political difficulties in his life, he surfer from California with hue songwriting skills and great voice but started acting like a hurt Martyr with those political crap. Both Cobain and Vedder had that Martyr thing going on and Vedder didn't have a single reason to be one. Layne & Cantrell from AiC and Soundgarden didn't compromise they were alternative metal fresh bands. AiC song structure, vocal harmonization combined with heavy, unmistakeable riffs that was something new. Pearl Jam was Classic Rock with different cover. As Nirvana was updated punk rock with different cover. And I still love PJ and Nirvana music, don't get me wrong the songs and quality is up there, great bands with huge talent. I just can't get over the fact how Vedder and Cobain acted. And that's it's strange because Vedder was "hired" to play in Pearl Jam and he totally took control over the band but I still prefer Mother Love Bone over any other PJ than Ten ( as those two are equal in my opinion)

Yes, it is.

They "acted" like they were upset? Eddie wanted to quit the band around the time they got too big for him to handle it. They, or specifically he didn't want to ride the media like other so-called "rebels" of that era did, that's why there was for example no other music video for six years after Jeremy, hardly any promo for new music and still they were succesful. Should they be sorry for their on going succes?

They didn't even ride that whole Grunge term, listen to any other albums apart from Ten and Vs. Yeah, I guess they were imposers, Vitalogy or No Code are such a generic Grunge records, yeah right.

If they wouldn't have pulled the plug to some extent on all that media buzz, Eddie said he felt he would have gone the Cobain way, Cobains suicide hit him really bad.

But oh well, what am I doing here, the bullshit-opinions are already set in stone, I ain't gonna change anyones mind. All my post is going to spark is you guys twisting my words to point out what posers they are. :rofl-lol:

You were very nice only to pick something out of context , how an artist can be upset with album/work being succesfull ? It is a pose, media attention is other thing one can loathe it and that was a case with Pearl Jam. Two totally different things.

And it was nice that you missed comment about their political involvement , that's were they introduced themselves as a posers to the world. I can understand if it were subject of their music and interest from the Day 1, but how on earth multi millionaries living in huge mansions in USA know a shit about politics, they are far from society, they haven't experienced those problems that hue hypocrisy. I can understand U2 making music about political issues, but they've seen their sisters and brothers killed on the streets, lived in extreme poverty in country which was torn apart in almost every possible way. And who was Eddie Vedder ? Sure he had hard childhood but many children did, but he wasn't living in poverty, The Edge built his first guitar from some shitty scraps, Vedder got one on birthday he had never experienced social or political difficulties in his life, he surfer from California with hue songwriting skills and great voice but started acting like a hurt Martyr with those political crap. Both Cobain and Vedder had that Martyr thing going on and Vedder didn't have a single reason to be one. Layne & Cantrell from AiC and Soundgarden didn't compromise they were alternative metal fresh bands. AiC song structure, vocal harmonization combined with heavy, unmistakeable riffs that was something new. Pearl Jam was Classic Rock with different cover. As Nirvana was updated punk rock with different cover. And I still love PJ and Nirvana music, don't get me wrong the songs and quality is up there, great bands with huge talent. I just can't get over the fact how Vedder and Cobain acted. And that's it's strange because Vedder was "hired" to play in Pearl Jam and he totally took control over the band but I still prefer Mother Love Bone over any other PJ than Ten ( as those two are equal in my opinion)

So in your view, only people who have lived in poverty can be politically aware? Daftness.

Yes, it is.

Eddie didn't have a hard childhood?

Eddie found out when he was a teenager that his "dad" was not even his real dad - it was his step dad. And his real dad died a few years before. He lived in a relatively poor household and had to work as a child to help support his mother who at that time was going into an abusive relationship. He didn't get along with very many kids at school either, and dropped out of high school.

Eddie was not playing the martyr. Fame and materialistic items do not cure depression. He was living his life the only way he knew how

Yes, it is.

So in your view, only people who have lived in poverty can be politically aware? Daftness.

I didn't say that ! I talked about music , PJ changed to political issues and propagadna. It has nothing to do with political awareness it was cheap from PJ , and had no base in reality.

And yes Vedder played Martyr he was whole time sad/depressed about something :

- about his music doing to good, because he thought he was alternative , while PJ isn't and wasn't alternative band just Classic Rock repacked

- some relationship problems

- about environment

- about Bush and politics in General

for me thats playing a Martyr, Ozzy has some serious problems with depression but he isn't sad about everything.

They were awesome at Hyde Park, really great. A lot of crowd pleasers in the set, and some unexpected tunes as well. Will definately see them again. They should try doing some bigger outdoor gigs over here, Finsbury Park would be ideal for them.

They were awesome at Hyde Park, really great. A lot of crowd pleasers in the set, and some unexpected tunes as well. Will definately see them again. They should try doing some bigger outdoor gigs over here, Finsbury Park would be ideal for them.

:thumbsup:

Glad that you had a great time! They usually mix their sets pretty good! I can't wait for the 30th! B)

Guest Len B'stard
Suga's rantings were entertaining at first, but now he's just getting annoying.

You know there's something wrong with you when people with your quote in their sig tell you you're annoying :lol: I'm sorry, i didn't mean to be annoying, thats why i didn't hang onto the point and left the thread, just...tend to get a bit over-expressive sometimes, apologies :)

Suga's rantings were entertaining at first, but now he's just getting annoying.

You know there's something wrong with you when people with your quote in their sig tell you you're annoying :lol: I'm sorry, i didn't mean to be annoying, thats why i didn't hang onto the point and left the thread, just...tend to get a bit over-expressive sometimes, apologies :)

It's cool, I just get a little defensive myself over the bands I like, especially this band, who've gotten me through a lot of shit, but to each their own. And I was wondering where you'd gotten to, haha.

I completely agree, it was amazing show :thumbsup:

They put on great live shows.

They release EVERYTHING they can for their fans (remember the live "bootlegs" they put out?)

They fought ticketmaster valiantly.

Their music is great and interesting.

Eddie actually sings like a man in a baritone register, and is successful with it.

There's little to no "band drama" in PJ.

Can't really find anything to criticize.

They put on great live shows.

They release EVERYTHING they can for their fans (remember the live "bootlegs" they put out?)

They fought ticketmaster valiantly.

Their music is great and interesting.

Eddie actually sings like a man in a baritone register, and is successful with it.

There's little to no "band drama" in PJ.

Can't really find anything to criticize.

:thumbsup:

esch, I didn't answer your questions in the other thread, and I can't remember which one it was so yeah, here I go and try my best:

Yeah, I'm from Germany, over here, generally in Europe there's a huge following. Every concert is usually sold out and you always meet people from all over the world at concerts. It's really fucking great! :)

What a fucking great concert! I'm still in shock... Did I really experience that? Great setlist, great crowd, teary moments when Eddie talked about Roskilde and couldn't keep on talking... :( Some fucking assholes didn't grasp the concept of a minute of silence after that. "Come Back" was in honour for the 9 friends.

Some fucking gems in that setlist "Push me pull me", "Immortality", "Low Light", "Kick out the Jams" with two dudes from REM, and "Long road" as the opener.

It was amazing when Eddie joined Ben Harper up on stage when Ben was still on and they joined for "Under Pressure". A-fucking-MAZING!!!

Oh, one more thing, I'll kick my ass for the rest of my life for missing Jeff by 10 minutes. I could have met him after I met Stone & Mike last year but I couldn't... :(

Edited by Spoon87