Bands better live than in the studio?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GNR did not necessarily sound better live but the magic was alot easier to grasp, or to present to someone. On that note Velvet Revolver for a while were magic on stage but were only pretty good in the studio.

What a musically diverse post I have constructed.

Aerosmith

Foo Fighters

Papa Roach

Buckcherry

KISS

Paul McCartney

Queen

GNR

This could vary depending on time periods in each of the bands histories.

I agree with most of those but disagree on Queen. Freddie's voice was terrible live. He skipped all of the high notes.

I had never heard of Queens of the Stone Age before I saw them live in maybe 2005(?)

they blew me away! so later I got myself one of their albums and was a little let down.. thought they were way better live than in studio. Love that album now though but right after seeing them live it failed to live up to my expectations.

On that same hand I saw Them Crooked Vultures the other day and while I did enjoy their album, I didn't love it, but the show? oh man that show! it was amazing!

so yeah..

Queens of the Stone Age

Them Crooked Vultures

EDIT; GN'R on quite a few songs.. was very impressed! but that was in a very different way since I know their songs so well so I can't really say whether I like them better live or in studio

Edited by Revolver

Aerosmith

Foo Fighters

Papa Roach

Buckcherry

KISS

Paul McCartney

Queen

GNR

This could vary depending on time periods in each of the bands histories.

I agree with most of those but disagree on Queen. Freddie's voice was terrible live. He skipped all of the high notes.

Are you serious? I was about to mention Queen as one of the bands better live than in studio. They were really great in studio, but some of the live performances are just incredible. Of course he sometimes skipped the high notes in their hey days, as any singer would. When you're playing a show almost every night, you has to take care of your voice. I think one of the best things about Queen, is that they never played a song live as it is on the album. They always wanted to to something new. And if this is skipping notes, then I don't know... :shrugs:

from Montreal 1981 Edited by Scaramouche

SOUNDGARDEN

GNR

Led Zeppelin

Type O Negative

All of your other choices I can understand except Zeppelin. In the early days, before all the keyboard and ''orchaestra'' driven stuff I imagine the rip roaring rockers were even more intense live--But around '73-75 when their music became much more Prog Rock, layered and included keyboards and synth, songs for example the Rain Song, imo didn't sound as good live.