Should GNR put an "EP" out?

dalsh327

Yes.

Not that sure that they already have. Bumble said that they're workin on it

I didn't see this, can you source it? I say a big yes on this one. Heck, put out some acoustic version jams like they did at the London acoustic show or something.

Allow me to ask you something: Do you like G n' R music? If your answer is "yes", then it should be followed by a "I don't really give a damn if the put out a CD, EP, LP or Xallaballachallaboom - I just want something to listen to!". If Guns were like a regular band, that puts out a CD at least every other year, then I could see the point in layman marketing discussions, but now I really can't.

Did he ever say there were completed songs he left off of "Chinese Democracy", or were songs like "The General" still works in progress for a later date? Usually there's one or two songs left off on an album because they either didn't fit in with the other music, or not enough room. I think it was hard enough to finish the songs that were on there.

I've always liked it artists would put out a full length album, and put an EP out because they were usually all good songs.

From the Beatles,to Metallica to Alice in Chains, to GNR, to Tool, to NIN, to yes, Lady Gaga... all of which had great to extraordinary sales with the EP format.

Someone made a list of classic EPs up, and a majority of them are bona fide classics.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/ep/all-time

Did he ever say there were completed songs he left off of "Chinese Democracy", or were songs like "The General" still works in progress for a later date? Usually there's one or two songs left off on an album because they either didn't fit in with the other music, or not enough room. I think it was hard enough to finish the songs that were on there.

GnREvolution: Did you work on any of these tracks which Axl confirmed as working titles of future GnR Material or was your involvement in the recording process strictly limited to the songs which appear on Chinese Democracy? (Ides Of March, Berlin (Oklahoma), Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms, Down By The Ocean, Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone), Seven, The General, Thyme, Quick Song, Zodiac).

Bumblefoot: I played on a good handful of songs that weren't on Chi Dem. Can't predict what the fate of any of those songs will be.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7112

If the songs are finished, wouldn't it be better to put them out in the next year or two, rather then wait for a follow up that could take years to hear, and by then might not fit in with what he has planned in the future? UYI had 2-3 songs that people had already heard elsewhere by the time it came out, I don't know if they would've been better off putting those out as an EP at the time vs putting it on the albums. I think UYI might have been one album had they made a 5-6 track EP.

The listening experience between something with 4 killer songs is different to listening to something for 60-70 minutes. It would've been cool if Lies had been a standalone full length album with some more songs on it, but I think part of that release was partly to give the fans something new to chew on, and to beat the bootleggers charging 30-40 bucks or selling the original for hundreds.

There is no such thing as a regular band. Nickelback is the closest thing but I'm sure the Chadster is quirky behind the tour bus.

Allow me to ask you something: Do you like G n' R music? If your answer is "yes", then it should be followed by a "I don't really give a damn if the put out a CD, EP, LP or Xallaballachallaboom - I just want something to listen to!". If Guns were like a regular band, that puts out a CD at least every other year, then I could see the point in layman marketing discussions, but now I really can't.

GnREvolution: Did you work on any of these tracks which Axl confirmed as working titles of future GnR Material or was your involvement in the recording process strictly limited to the songs which appear on Chinese Democracy? (Ides Of March, Berlin (Oklahoma), Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms, Down By The Ocean, Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone), Seven, The General, Thyme, Quick Song, Zodiac).

Bumblefoot: I played on a good handful of songs that weren't on Chi Dem. Can't predict what the fate of any of those songs will be.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7112

To our ears, they prob. sound like they're completed. To Axl's, they're high quality demos and need some fixin'.

No one's said how many songs are releasable.

To our ears, they prob. sound like they're completed. To Axl's, they're high quality demos and need some fixin'.

No one's said how many songs are releasable.

I don't disagree with you.

Feb. 22, 2007

The good news is that all of the recording for the album has been completed. Drummer Frank Ferrer and guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal integrated themselves into the recordings seamlessly and will have their presence felt.

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070222&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

Do I have to explain this again? The guys are working on an album that is beyond the CD material for the most part, the next album is ready to go totally and will mostly have "CDII" songs, remember these guys had 32+ tracks that were more or less completed.

I'd like it but can't imagine it. Axl does not like to do things by halves.

Also it would seem a bit pointless unless a full length album was definitely coming at some point in the future too. For example it would work to drop it in the middle of a tour ahead of an album coming out a year or so later. However, as planning beyond about an hour in GNR world seems a bit pointless as something will always come up it may just end up looking like a half-assed release.

Guest Volver

spot on! what a dick topic...

There is no such thing as a regular band. Nickelback is the closest thing but I'm sure the Chadster is quirky behind the tour bus.

Ok, wiseguy. I wont compare G n' R to Nickelback, but maybe you've heard of these bands(?):

Led Zeppelin:

# Led Zeppelin (1969)

# Led Zeppelin II (1969)

# Led Zeppelin III (1970)

# Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

# Houses of the Holy (1973)

# Physical Graffiti (1975)

Black Sabbath:

# Black Sabbath (1970)

# Paranoid (1970)

# Master of Reality (1971)

# Black Sabbath Vol. 4 (1972)

# Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

# Sabotage (1975)

Hanoi Rocks:

# Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks (1981)

# Oriental Beat (1982)

# Self Destruction Blues (1982)

# Back to Mystery City (1983)

# Two Steps from the Move (1984)

See my point? I'm sure you do, but I bet you're gonna be difficult and object anyway.

Guest King Of Spades

I hope they do release an EP of new material that would be a miracle all on its own. I hope to hear The General before it's too late.

Or even ...

Guns N' Roses:

#Appetite for Destruction (1987)

# Lies (1988)

# Use Your Illusion I (1991)

# Use Your Illusion II (1991)

# The Spaghetti Incident? (1993)

For every 2 albums there is a different line-up.....I dont call that a "band".

Ok, wiseguy. I wont compare G n' R to Nickelback, but maybe you've heard of these bands(?):

Led Zeppelin:

# Led Zeppelin (1969)

# Led Zeppelin II (1969)

# Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Black Sabbath:

# Black Sabbath (1970)

# Paranoid (1970)

# Sabotage (1975)

Hanoi Rocks:

# Oriental Beat (1982)

See my point? I'm sure you do, but I bet you're gonna be difficult and object anyway.

All of the bands you mentioned, while excellent, are vastly different creatures from GN'R. In fact, the person who then posted GN'R's early output summed it up nicely, likely without trying: After a number of popular albums released in quick succession, the bands in question fell apart. Just like original lineup GNR.

Hanoi rocks had a brutally short run.

Black Sabbath and Ozzy went their separate ways.

Zepplin was once considered the biggest band in the world but after the albums you listed their output went downhill for personal reasons to some extent; their last studio CD was basically outtakes, and then Bonham died. The end.

And still none of those had close the the horrid breakup and legal wrangling that GN'R has had.

On top of that, the recording industry has changed since the 60s/70s, where artists sometimes put out two albums in a year. Most labels don't want you to do that. They want to extend sales and mine the album for more singles. Too late in CDs case and now would be a great time for another record (well... 2011 I think) but GN'R really isn't comparable to most other bands.

Do I have to explain this again? The guys are working on an album that is beyond the CD material for the most part, the next album is ready to go totally and will mostly have "CDII" songs, remember these guys had 32+ tracks that were more or less completed.

Has anyone in GNR actually said in the past year they've booked studio time? It just sounds like they're enjoying the tour with the few incidents that have sidetracked the live shows, kicking ass and doing lengthy sets. Maybe Axl's journal or ipad's got some amazing lyrics while they're on the road, maybe they've tried a song or two in rehearsals, but I think someone from the band would've made mention of going in the studio.

Led Zeppelin:

# Led Zeppelin (1969)

# Led Zeppelin II (1969)

# Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Black Sabbath:

# Black Sabbath (1970)

# Paranoid (1970)

# Sabotage (1975)

Hanoi Rocks:

# Oriental Beat (1982)

Not sure where you were going with this. I was talking about. the "soccer mom" generic stuff, and how some of those guys are likely to be freaks behind closed doors and no better or worse than bands labelled "bad boys of rock and roll". Sabbath and Zep sure as hell were in a whole other world back in the day, and plays part into their rock legend status. I still respect the people who make it in the music biz, even if I can't stand the music.