Metallica--The Black Album

Vincent Vega

I like it. I don't love it, I don't think it's great, but I also don't hate it and I don't think it's bad. I think it's only a tiny bit above average. But at the same time I didn't have to live through the time period where it was played constantly on every radio station ever (the only songs from it I hear are "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters", both of which I like). It's my fourth favorite Metallica album after Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Kill 'em All in that order. Everything else from Metallica I despise. The first three I "love". The Black Album is the only one I'm not crazy about or hate. I think it's a pretty standard heavy metal album that's enjoyable every now and then. The only thing about it is that they sold out big time with it. Not many bands go from a technical thrash metal/heavy metal band (with AJFA) to a radio friendly heavy metal/hard rock band.

The reason for the division is the dramatic shift in the bands music. There was no song like "Nothing Else Matters" on any previous album. The production was way more polished. Im with Lighting Bolt, I like it dont love and Metallica is in my top 10 fav bands. "The God That Failed" and "Dont Tread on me" are two of my fav Metallica tunes but I hate Wherever I May Roam and a few other tracks. They still had some good ideas in the tank but overall Justice was their last truly remarkable, genre shifting, important album.

I dont hate the music itself, I hate Metallica for making it though. Their first 4 albums were far superior and for some reason they decided to quit being a metal band and made an album I cant even call hard rock, and then a transgression into a band into something I cant even listen to.

The reason for the division is the dramatic shift in the bands music. There was no song like "Nothing Else Matters" on any previous album. The production was way more polished. Im with Lighting Bolt, I like it dont love and Metallica is in my top 10 fav bands. "The God That Failed" and "Dont Tread on me" are two of my fav Metallica tunes but I hate Wherever I May Roam and a few other tracks. They still had some good ideas in the tank but overall Justice was their last truly remarkable, genre shifting, important album.

And who is responsible for the sound of the Black album? Bob Rock. Metallica wanted him as the producer because of the sound he created with the Motley Cruë album Dr. Feelgood. Metallica wanted a similar heavier sound for the Black album. That's why it sounds so different from their earlier albums.

I like it better after last night. It was covered on "Classic Albums" which is basically a 'making of...' kind of show. I'm not really a big Metallica fan, but I gain a better appreciation for the music when I understand what they went through and how they developed it. I'll probably give it some time on my iPod.