The UK Press is partly to blame for the incident tonight

Cockaroachsoup80

The UK press have exaggerated and played up late start times, told everyone repeatedly how Axl and the band hate their fans, and played up the "poor" crowd element to no end. I don't know what it is with the "ME" 1st mentality that has taken hold of this generation, but its beyond ridiculous. As with every concert headliner, it takes 45 minutes or so to get the set changed, and the extravagant lighting and explosives ready for this show--then they need to test it out to make sure no one gets blown up like James Hetfield. I have no idea why the press has failed to report this (well, I do--they have it out for Axl), but by not telling the truth, they have created an environment where the band walks into an arena, and if the band is not on five minutes after the opening act, the drunks begin feeling like they need to deal with Axl and become a UK hero. Before you know it, the dipshits in the crowd, feel empowered and almost justified in throwing shit and basically taking matters into their own hands. Hell they'll be a hero on the front page of NME tomorrow! What you have here are spoiled idiots, who think that they should get what they want when they want it, have no idea what logistical matters need to be dealt with to ensure a good show, and now are emboldened by a UK press who have slandered the band to no end and created a polluted and dangerous atmosphere. Shame on the UK press for their total slandering and irresponsible reporting. Watching the crowd last night at Belfast losing their minds in joy, and then reading a report that half the crowd left and those remaining were silent and booing sealed the deal---the UK press have no credibility whatsoever.

With that said, Axl going on two hours late when it's his fault is ridiculous and he deserves blame. But, being onstage 45 minutes to an hour after the opener is not LATE--and on this leg of the tour, that is what it has been. Starting a show at 10:20 or so like they did tonight, about 50 minutes after the opener is not a big deal, and would not have gone down like it did if the UK Press had not ratcheted up the crowd and made them believe that attacking the most hated band in the UK was OK! The nutcase on the radio, making shit up about the show and band was a perfect example of the delirium, somewhat similar to the same "Islamophopia" sweeping the US. People start seeing bogeymen after awhile, and the press is doing that with GNR. It's sad, and absolutely ridiculous. I feel for the band--sure in the past Axl has had his moments in the past--but during these past four shows, he hasn't done anything to deserve the bullshit that happened tonight. A band cannot be pelted with gallons of piss and debris, and expected to stand there and take. Hats off to them for finishing the show.

Edited by Cockaroachsoup80

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK press have exaggerated and played up late start times, told everyone repeatedly how Axl and the band hate their fans, and played up the "poor" crowd element to no end. I don't know what it is with the "ME" 1st mentality that has taken hold of this generation, but its beyond ridiculous. As with every concert headliner, it takes 45 minutes or so to get the set changed, and the extravagant lighting and explosives ready for this show--then they need to test it out to make sure no one gets blown up like James Hetfield. I have no idea why the press has failed to report this (well, I do--they have it out for Axl), but by not telling the truth, they have created an environment where the band walks into an arena, and if the band is not on five minutes after the opening act, the drunks begin feeling like they need to deal with Axl and become a UK hero. Before you know it, the dipshits in the crowd, feel empowered and almost justified in throwing shit and basically taking matters into their own hands. Hell they'll be a hero on the front page of NME tomorrow! What you have here are spoiled idiots, who think that they should get what they want when they want it, have no idea what logistical matters need to be dealt with to ensure a good show, and now are emboldened by a UK press who have slandered the band to no end and created a polluted and dangerous atmosphere. Shame on the UK press for their total slandering and irresponsible reporting. Watching the crowd last night at Belfast losing their minds in joy, and then reading a report that half the crowd left and those remaining were silent and booing sealed the deal---the UK press have no credibility whatsoever.

With that said, Axl going on two hours late when it's his fault is ridiculous and he deserves blame. But, being onstage 45 minutes to an hour after the opener is not LATE--and on this leg of the tour, that is what it has been. Starting a show at 10:20 or so like they did tonight, about 50 minutes after the opener is not a big deal, and would not have gone down like it did if the UK Press had not ratcheted up the crowd and made them believe that attacking the most hated band in the UK was OK! The nutcase on the radio, making shit up about the show and band was a perfect example of the delirium, somewhat similar to the same "Islamophopia" sweeping the US. People start seeing bogeymen after awhile, and the press is doing that with GNR. It's sad, and absolutely ridiculous. I feel for the band--sure in the past Axl has had his moments in the past--but during these past four shows, he hasn't done anything to deserve the bullshit that happened tonight. A band cannot be pelted with gallons of piss and debris, and expected to stand there and take. Hats off to them for finishing the show.

If Danko Jones goes on at 8 and plays for 40 minutes, GNR could have the 50 minute change over and be on stage by 9:30. Not a peep would be heard from the crowd.

An even better solution would be to set up GNR's stage before the opening act comes on to cut down on the time needed for change-over. That is what most of the world's major touring act's do that have elaborate stage shows.

It doesn't help matters when the economy is in the tank in Dublin, and you have a bunch of drunks looking for a scapegoat to blame for all that is bad in their lives--enter Axl..Public Enemy #1, who will likely be blamed for the breakdown in the Middle East Peace process by the UK Press the way their reporting has been lately. What a load of shit, starting a show shortly after 10, and 50 minutes after the opening act is not a big deal. This isn't the Dublin Boy's Choir. The press has been encouraging this event in the UK with their narrative: "Axl is Public Enemy #1, he hates his fans, he is an asshole, he should be pelted, etc." The band should be commended for finishing the show after gallons of urine and god knows what else were dumped on them by the drunken fools at the show. Axl and co. owed them nothing after the shit those idiots pulled--listening to that dumb TWAT on the radio I have to wonder if there is acid being leaked into the water of Dublin..ridiculous...

Edited by Cockaroachsoup80

Blame the press all you want it's Axl Rose that didn't show up on time...hence the boos at the show tonight.

They took the stage pretty much right on time--the only reason you think he's late is because the press has been claiming that not being on a few minutes after the opening act is now "late". For Christ's sake, this obsession with marching in lock step onto the stage to the tune of a stop watch is insane. They have to make sure everything is safe and ready for the band prior to them taking the stage. If Danko finished at 9:30, and GNR took the stage at 10:20, that is not late.

There is a real wave building against Axl out there right now. You look at the comment sections from the videos tonight on youtube, and on Blabbermouth, and the Dublin radio station tonight and there is a sea change going on where people are saying enough is enough, with a great majority saying he "deserved it" and happy that people are finally fighting back against his disregard for the fans.

If I were Axl I would be nervous about continuing to show up late to these gigs whether it is late in his mind or not, because it could be the beginning of a wave of piss bottles coming his way.

Ticket sales have been really good for the European tour, so people clearly want to see him sing. What that also means is that every night is going to be a packed house of people getting restless, and that increases the likelihood of something bad happening if the mob mentality takes over and people take matters into their own hands to voice their displeasure over the waiting.

I bet Axl is regretting calling that promoters bluff on the start time, because this whole thing has mushroomed out of control and now he can't get the genie back in the bottle. Yet he seems loathe to suck it up and get on stage early to avoid all the trouble, so I guess it is not bothering him too much yet to force him to alter his behavior.

Someone is holding a hammer over him though, because he ended up playing Leeds after publicly saying he wasn't going to, and then went back on stage tonight even though he was clearly miserable and disinterested.

There is a real wave building against Axl out there right now. You look at the comment sections from the videos tonight on youtube, and on Blabbermouth, and the Dublin radio station tonight and there is a sea change going on where people are saying enough is enough, with a great majority saying he "deserved it" and happy that people are finally fighting back against his disregard for the fans.

If I were Axl I would be nervous about continuing to show up late to these gigs whether it is late in his mind or not, because it could be the beginning of a wave of piss bottles coming his way.

Ticket sales have been really good for the European tour, so people clearly want to see him sing. What that also means is that every night is going to be a packed house of people getting restless, and that increases the likelihood of something bad happening if the mob mentality takes over and people take matters into their own hands to voice their displeasure over the waiting.

I bet Axl is regretting calling that promoters bluff on the start time, because this whole thing has mushroomed out of control and now he can't get the genie back in the bottle. Yet he seems loathe to suck it up and get on stage early to avoid all the trouble, so I guess it is not bothering him too much yet to force him to alter his behavior.

Someone is holding a hammer over him though, because he ended up playing Leeds after publicly saying he wasn't going to, and then went back on stage tonight even though he was clearly miserable and disinterested.

Exactly my point--he hasn't been late to these shows--Reading and Leeds, they were on within 50 minutes of the prior band, but the press wrote 100's of articles with complete and utter bullshit saying "how late" they were, which is now being floated as the "truth". It's a shame that the press has influenced the easily manipulated, but that is how it goes. One has to wonder why the press decided to attack as they did after Reading and Leeds---as anyone who watched the videos of the shows, can see an audience absolutely enjoying the shows? The press has totally driven this false narrative, and stirred the pot to the point that the narrative is inciting these people. Guns could go onstage on time, and the press will find a way to say they are late. This phenomenon of bogey-men, and mob mentality is easily stoke these days, as people don't seem to know how to analyze data, and think for themselves---they just believe what they are told. Must be why they like schedules to run on stop watches...and rock n' roll shows to be organized with bullet points like a fucking corporate meeting. As far as I am concerned, Axl giving the middle finger to the establishment and their rules is more endearing than ever! There aren't any young bands out there with balls anymore!

I completely agree with you. This had everything to do with those first couple of reviews, which people read, and went in there with that in their minds. The whole late start thing is being blown out or proportion too. This was never a problem in 2006. They went on late every show, and nobody was tearing them to shreds like this. This whole tour they were doing it. It was never an issue until Sturgis and Reading, and now everyones focusing on it, and making a bigger deal out of it than should be made.

I just hope it doesn't bring down anything else the rest of the tour. I'm glad their next stop is in Italy. They will have more respectful fans.

Edited by DocBrown

I agree the press has convinced people axl is late cos he's arrogant so people are indignant, I've seen Jagger a few times pretty much an hour late no one cared. People throw bottles tho. Maybe axl can wear a mask for the first few songs

Blame the press all you want it's Axl Rose that didn't show up on time...hence the boos at the show tonight.

They took the stage pretty much right on time--the only reason you think he's late is because the press has been claiming that not being on a few minutes after the opening act is now "late". For Christ's sake, this obsession with marching in lock step onto the stage to the tune of a stop watch is insane. They have to make sure everything is safe and ready for the band prior to them taking the stage. If Danko finished at 9:30, and GNR took the stage at 10:20, that is not late.

Danko didn't finish at 9:30, they finished I'd say about 9ish. And that was after having their set extended, BY DEL FUCKING JAMES. There was well over an hour between the end of Danko and the start of Guns. Don't give me the bullshit that the changeover takes an hour, because it only took half an hour in Belfast, and evening then they could've done it quicker.

I completely agree with you. This had everything to do with those first couple of reviews, which people read, and went in there with that in their minds. The whole late start thing is being blown out or proportion too. This was never a problem in 2006. They went on late every show, and nobody was tearing them to shreds like this. This whole tour they were doing it. It was never an issue until Sturgis and Reading, and now everyones focusing on it, and making a bigger deal out of it than should be made.

I just hope it doesn't bring down anything else the rest of the tour. I'm glad their next stop is in Italy. They will have more respectful fans.

And you, ignorant fuck. Were you there? No. You've no idea what happened. It was a problem in 2006. It's always been a problem. You're fucking lucky this was Dublin or else that arena would've been torn apart. More respectful fans? I hope the Italian fans rip someone a new one for that.

The press has totally driven this false narrative, and stirred the pot to the point that the narrative is inciting these people. Guns could go onstage on time, and the press will find a way to say they are late. This phenomenon of bogey-men, and mob mentality is easily stoke these days, as people don't seem to know how to analyze data, and think for themselves---they just believe what they are told.

Well pointed out. This is what happens all the time in he mainstream media. Lies make about ... I guess at least 50-60% of what is printed and aired reporting nowadays - very often on purpose and advice from top levels - so you can never tell whether the reported is what actually happened or what you are supposed to believe that happened. The media are meant to manilupate people. That is their job nowadays. And it has become worse than ever during the last few years.

Must be why they like schedules to run on stop watches...and rock n' roll shows to be organized with bullet points like a fucking corporate meeting.

Exactly. Do what you are told, be well-behaved human capital that can be conveniently used and disposed of as needed for making money. Believe what you are being told, don't question it, don't criticise your boss or you're out. And the more people are trained or forced to accept his way of living, the more they hate people who like Axl openly live the freedom they themselves don't have.

I don't think each of these "journalists" was/is conscious of the agenda they were/are following when writing lies about Axl being a joke, audiences hating him and him always oh so inacceptably late on stage. But Axl is not just another artist on stage, he is a symbol of disrespect for the establishment. And it might well be a full-blown witch hunt going on there in the press.

As far as I am concerned, Axl giving the middle finger to the establishment and their rules is more endearing than ever! There aren't any young bands out there with balls anymore!

Which might be exactly the reason for the smear campaign going on. He is a kind of last man standing not only in terms of the AFD line-up.

Edited by Granny

And you, ignorant fuck. Were you there? No. You've no idea what happened. It was a problem in 2006. It's always been a problem. You're fucking lucky this was Dublin or else that arena would've been torn apart. More respectful fans? I hope the Italian fans rip someone a new one for that.

Ignorant fuck, eh? Axl's being late has never been that much of a problem. It was a given whenever you went to see GNR. Quite on the contrary, people are totally taken by surprise if he goes on stage at the set time. Him stopping shows or not turning up at all - that was what caused riots.

But if the press ram it into every reader's brain that Axl's being late is the main feature of GNR's performances and also lie about what the audience gets delivered once GNR hits the stage - then the audience expects it, their minds are set to see it this way - Axl as a ridiculous joke of the star he once was, old, fat, out of breath, sounding like a squalling cat, with a hired band of musicians who by far cannot match the AFD line-up, their performances not worth to wait for any longer than 10 minutes ... etc. pp.

No, they did not tear apart the place. But throwing full bottles onto stage - after being warned - is not exactly repectful behaviour either.

The original poster is a fucking moron

Very convincing argument, indeed. <_<

Edited by Granny

Exactly my point--he hasn't been late to these shows--Reading and Leeds, they were on within 50 minutes of the prior band, but the press wrote 100's of articles with complete and utter bullshit saying "how late" they were, which is now being floated as the "truth". It's a shame that the press has influenced the easily manipulated, but that is how it goes. One has to wonder why the press decided to attack as they did after Reading and Leeds---as anyone who watched the videos of the shows, can see an audience absolutely enjoying the shows? The press has totally driven this false narrative, and stirred the pot to the point that the narrative is inciting these people. Guns could go onstage on time, and the press will find a way to say they are late. This phenomenon of bogey-men, and mob mentality is easily stoke these days, as people don't seem to know how to analyze data, and think for themselves---they just believe what they are told. Must be why they like schedules to run on stop watches...and rock n' roll shows to be organized with bullet points like a fucking corporate meeting. As far as I am concerned, Axl giving the middle finger to the establishment and their rules is more endearing than ever! There aren't any young bands out there with balls anymore!

Or maybe if the band played at the time they were supposed to fans wouldn't be riled. I'm sorry but if I had to leave halfway through the show just to be able to get home that night i'd be pissed off as well. This isn't a problem with other bands and it is good that Axl is catching shit for this at long last.

I went in 2006 and was not out of the gig till 1.30am, fortunatly I wasn't relying on public transport but many others were. Would love to take my wife to see a show this year but they're just to unreliable and disrespectful for me to risk wasting my money, plus I really don't want my pregnant wife there on the occasion when the band incites a riot due to their lack of courtesy to their grown up fans who have responsibilities and a life outside of waiting for Axl Rose!

Ignorant fuck, eh? Axl's being late has never been that much of a problem. It was a given whenever you went to see GNR. Quite on the contrary, people are totally taken by surprise if he goes on stage at the set time. Him stopping shows or not turning up at all - that was what caused riots.

But if the press ram it into every reader's brain that Axl's being late is the main feature of GNR's performances and also lie about what the audience gets delivered once GNR hits the stage - then the audience expects it, their minds are set to see it this way - Axl as a ridiculous joke of the star he once was, old, fat, out of breath, sounding like a squalling cat, with a hired band of musicians who by far cannot match the AFD line-up, their performances not worth to wait for any longer than 10 minutes ... etc. pp.

No, they did not tear apart the place. But throwing full bottles onto stage - after being warned - is not exactly repectful behaviour either.

The original poster is a fucking moron

Very convincing argument, indeed. <_<

It's about Axl being respectful to his fans that pay his wages and put money in his pocket. It's down to us that he is in the lofty position of being able to show up whenever he feels like it... the fans are treated with distain by Axls refusal to play a show at the time it says on our tickets! It aint that hard... unless your sleeping I guess...

Danko didn't finish at 9:30, they finished I'd say about 9ish. And that was after having their set extended, BY DEL FUCKING JAMES. There was well over an hour between the end of Danko and the start of Guns. Don't give me the bullshit that the changeover takes an hour, because it only took half an hour in Belfast, and evening then they could've done it quicker.

You sound a bit angry. No I wasn't at this show. I did however see them four times in 2006, and they were late everytime. Nobody gave a shit once the show started, and nothing was thrown on stage. I also saw them in 1991, where they were about 3 hours late at the show I was at. I also saw them in 1993 where they were late after Metallica played a long ass set. Again nobody cared. It's always just been something everyone expects out of a GNR show.

Of course you're upset because this happened to you, but I'd say it has more to do with the type of crowd he was playing for, than him being late to the show. Why am I lucky that this was in Dublin? What do I care. You're lucky he kept playing after being hit twice. The truth is, this seemed like the most disrespectful, lame ass crowd they played in front of yet. I've seen clips from this whole tour, and every single place besides a couple of the Canada shows were super into things. Even when the crowds in Canada sucked for a couple of shows, they weren't disrespectful straight off to the band for being late, and throwing things on stage

The start to this tour has sucked for them, but it's mostly likely because he played a couple of shitty music festivals, and a show with a lame ass crowd last night. I expect things to pick up bigtime the rest of the tour, when they are around more respectful fans that aren't going in looking to hate the show because of things the media said.

I do agree with the fact that since he was late two BIG shows, people take more notice to when he's late even though he's always done that, it's just been covered by the media so much that instead of the normal "ha, axls being a dick, i dont feel like waiting" its "RAH RAH RIOT FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKRIOTFUCK".

Not excusing Axl's behavior. He's really coming off as a fat fucker.

It's about Axl being respectful to his fans that pay his wages and put money in his pocket. It's down to us that he is in the lofty position of being able to show up whenever he feels like it... the fans are treated with distain by Axls refusal to play a show at the time it says on our tickets! It aint that hard... unless your sleeping I guess...

He is not being disrespectful. He wants to put up the best show possible - for the sake of the fans. But he wants no shit thrown at him or the others on stage, which is reasonable, I tink. He's also improved a lot regarding turning up for shows and getting on stage ... ah, closer to the set time.

And - no, you don't pay him. He is not your employee like you are your boss's if you have a job. He gets a steady income from royalties. He probably wouldn't have to tour at all if he didn't want to. (No, I don't know for sure. But it seems likely.)

For you to make notes if you like: The fans are not Axl's boss. He is not going to work when he goes on stage. He is an artist and he performes for people who like his art.

Edited by Granny

I've never been more against media than in the past 10 years and I better know why. Never doubt they just painted him as guilty at any cost and never believed a shit the wrote, but thank you for these words.

Peace

Edited by TarjaR

I think that while Axl has always been late, this episode with Reading really crystalized for people and the media the true disdain Axl has for his fans in a way the late starts never really did.

With that promoter coming out and doing what he did, Axl, and everyone going to the show knew about the curfew. The fact that he showed up late anyway knowing it would lead to a short set seemed to rub the public the wrong way. The late starts were one thing, but the conscious decision to short change the fans to settle a score with a promoter really drove home how little he cared.

People have less discretionary income these days, and just have less tolerance for this kind of bullshit for the things they do spend their money.

While he didn't realize it at the time, the decision to call the promoter's bluff at Reading is looking like a major turning point in public sentiment about Axl and the late starts. He may have just pushed his luck one too many times, and now he is going to start paying the price for it without a major behavior modification.

... the true disdain Axl has for his fans ... the conscious decision to short change the fans to settle a score with a promoter really drove home how little he cared ...

Everybody who works with him says the opposite. People who were there in Reading and Leeds reported in the boards and in comments that the delays were not that long, not Axl's fault and the crowd was not as mad as the press pictured it. Yet you keep on riding the media's lies about it. You even claim it was Axls "conscious decision to short change the fans" based on a silly girl's allegations readily spread in the media.

While he didn't realize it at the time, the decision to call the promoter's bluff at Reading is looking like a major turning point in public sentiment about Axl and the late starts. He may have just pushed his luck one too many times, and now he is going to start paying the price for it without a major behavior modification.

Does it feel good to be part of a spiteful mob? Making Axl "pay the price" for not showing enough "behaviour modification"? You are using him as a scapegoat for your dissatisfaction with your own lives. For your information: They tried to make him change his "behaviour" since Lafayette times. Did they succeed? No. And I rather have him hidden in his mansion again than him to give in to the system's "behaviour modification" requests.

Edited by Granny