20 Gigs to go - Then what?

star

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To suggest DJ is a Slash imitator is a bit rich too - DJ has been doing his thing for years, well before he was a member of guns and his style in the band now is no different to what it's been when he's played with Sixx:AM, etc.

yes, but is it not possible that he's been influenced by Slash since long before he knew he was gonna be in GNR? as in, when he was learning guitar?

Sure, but imitator? Look, i'm a massive Slash fan, but he's not exactly the most original guitarist in the world.

True but Slash's image is iconic. DJ is not known for his iconic image. Relative to Slash, the casual concert goer isn't going to have a clue as to who DJ is. This is why some people pick up on his similarities to Slash and think he is paying tribute to him.

There is an increasing number of people going to GNR shows who are woefully ignorant about the band. I call them the greatest hits crowd. If you look at Slash's facebook page some people were asking him lately if he was touring with Guns in Europe at the moment. One person even said that her friend persuaded her that Slash played at the GNR gig that he went to recently.

I always thought that Axl's intention was to move away from Slash, both in terms of image and sound. Buckethead was ample proof of this. However lately it looks a whole lot different.

With Bumble and DJ Axl seems to be going for a more classic rock look; even his image suggests that.

He does seem to be moving away from the more electronic/techno feel of early 2000s Guns. The NYtimes noted about a GNR concert in 2001:

"But only in the first song of their encore, a hard-driving electronic rave-up that sounded like a Chemical Brothers remix of Guns 'n' Roses, did the audience get a glimpse of the music that the band really seemed to want to play. And it was the glimpse of a completely different beast than Guns 'n' Roses (with a new frontline of a beefy Mr. Rose, a mimelike Buckethead and a stormtrooper-outfitted Mr. Finck), which isn't necessarily a bad thing."

That sound and version of the band seems to have fallen away.

To suggest DJ is a Slash imitator is a bit rich too - DJ has been doing his thing for years, well before he was a member of guns and his style in the band now is no different to what it's been when he's played with Sixx:AM, etc.

yes, but is it not possible that he's been influenced by Slash since long before he knew he was gonna be in GNR? as in, when he was learning guitar?

Sure, but imitator? Look, i'm a massive Slash fan, but he's not exactly the most original guitarist in the world.

True but Slash's image is iconic. DJ is not known for his iconic image. Relative to Slash, the casual concert goer isn't going to have a clue as to who DJ is. This is why some people pick up on his similarities to Slash and think he is paying tribute to him.

There is an increasing number of people going to GNR shows who are woefully ignorant about the band. I call them the greatest hits crowd. If you look at Slash's facebook page some people were asking him lately if he was touring with Guns in Europe at the moment. One person even said that her friend persuaded her that Slash played at the GNR gig that he went to recently.

I always thought that Axl's intention was to move away from Slash, both in terms of image and sound. Buckethead was ample proof of this. However lately it looks a whole lot different.

With Bumble and DJ Axl seems to be going for a more classic rock look; even his image suggests that.

He does seem to be moving away from the more electronic/techno feel of early 2000s Guns. The NYtimes noted about a GNR concert in 2001:

"But only in the first song of their encore, a hard-driving electronic rave-up that sounded like a Chemical Brothers remix of Guns 'n' Roses, did the audience get a glimpse of the music that the band really seemed to want to play. And it was the glimpse of a completely different beast than Guns 'n' Roses (with a new frontline of a beefy Mr. Rose, a mimelike Buckethead and a stormtrooper-outfitted Mr. Finck), which isn't necessarily a bad thing."

That sound and version of the band seems to have fallen away.

People grow and change over time. I think a lot of the whole "industrial" angle was blown out of proportion. And I think the elements that were there were integrated really well in CD.

A lot was based on rumour, and the look of certain members. Meh.

and then?

I think before Australia they should play e.g. in GERMANY. I don't know what's the problem with Germany, but i think they should play there. A big Europe tour without country of 80 million citizens? I don't get it. That's a lot of fans there or?

Give it time. They might not have been able to work out the right deal. They might want to do a larger tour of Germany later. Germany, Poland, Ukraine - there are other countries that didn't get shows on this leg of the tour. You could easily do another European leg in 2011. They did what, 10 shows on the 1st euro leg, 24 shows on the 2nd euro leg? What's another 10 - 15 shows then?

Especially since the 1st 4 shows sold out. Promoters only look at the bottom line.

Europe will have a third leg for sure especially after these sold out dates. Hungary and Scotland have not been visited and I am sure of more Uk dates on top of Germany..ie Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Sheffield or Nottingham.

Oz and NZ will get a return Just look at Pink and Metallica on wikipedia, they play load of dates down under. If the US does not happen GNR can always return to Asia and South America. Oh yeah Mexico too. Should add to 40 or 50 dates. If GNR play 110/120 show in total on this CD tour (from 2009) I think that is pretty good going especially considering the size of venues so far.

At this point, I'm a pessimist. Everything has gone wrong. All opportunities have been shit on by the band. I don't see anything positive coming, honestly. This CD tour should have remained as it started: playing tons of CD songs with the classics. The band absolutely kicked ass at the start of this tour. There was an awesome energy, and I couldn't wait to see what surprises were in the setlists.

Giving fans the new material should have been the goal: You satisfy fans that know the knew material and want to hear it live, and you introduce fans to the new material who haven't heard it yet. You do all the shows, build your reputation, and then release another album. That's how you set yourself up for success. That's how you define this new band as a band. Then people like the new material and support the whole thing. The new songs are awesome live, especially Shackler's and Scraped, but all of them are fantastic.

Now what happens? Are they ever going to play more CD material? If they release another album, what songs are going to get played? I will see them on tour if I can, but I am sick of the set list. I don't want to hear most of the old songs. At least not now. Bring them back in a few years when I am craving them, but for now I've had enough.

At this point, I'm a pessimist. Everything has gone wrong. All opportunities have been shit on by the band. I don't see anything positive coming, honestly. This CD tour should have remained as it started: playing tons of CD songs with the classics. The band absolutely kicked ass at the start of this tour. There was an awesome energy, and I couldn't wait to see what surprises were in the setlists.

Giving fans the new material should have been the goal: You satisfy fans that know the knew material and want to hear it live, and you introduce fans to the new material who haven't heard it yet. You do all the shows, build your reputation, and then release another album. That's how you set yourself up for success. That's how you define this new band as a band. Then people like the new material and support the whole thing. The new songs are awesome live, especially Shackler's and Scraped, but all of them are fantastic.

Now what happens? Are they ever going to play more CD material? If they release another album, what songs are going to get played? I will see them on tour if I can, but I am sick of the set list. I don't want to hear most of the old songs. At least not now. Bring them back in a few years when I am craving them, but for now I've had enough.

I said the exact same thing last night, When (or if) cd2 is released, will they only play 2 songs from that, 2 songs from CD1 and the rest old songs?

This band deserves to be playing songs from chinese democracy every night with a few old songs sprinkled in instead of the other way round which is whats been the case nearly ever concert.

Im not hating on the setist, im hating on the opportunity that is missed to really showcase the amazing songs from Chinese in a live setting, and maybe instead of playing Shacklers ok in one concert, and poorly in another (based on the reviews Ive read) if they played it regularly, it will be a song that is aced like Nightrain is every night (well the majority of nights).

its like people are saying to axl "you cant have that guy in the band because he looks too much like slash"

how do you think axl would reply to that? fuck off ill do what i want, probably.

axl didnt hire him because he looks like slash. he hired him because he is fucking awesome.

he wasn't going to not hire him because he looks like slash, though. axl would probably see that as giving in.

i think axl just has a thing for novelty hats.

Im not hating on the setist, im hating on the opportunity that is missed to really showcase the amazing songs from Chinese in a live setting, and maybe instead of playing Shacklers ok in one concert, and poorly in another (based on the reviews Ive read) if they played it regularly, it will be a song that is aced like Nightrain is every night (well the majority of nights).

SR was played nightly on the asian / canadian tour and it only seemed to get worse, the lowlight being south america where it was totally dropped.

look, i love CD, im moving forward, but asking for 50/50 is simply unreasonable. nobody goes to ACDC to hear black ice, you dont go see STP to hear between the lines, you dont go see GNR to hear madagascar.

thats not to say they shouldn't be played or people dont want them, i heard lots of "TWAT!" chants, but we are talking in generalities here. you have to be realistic.

axl promised buckethead this wouldn't be a GNR coverband, there is no way that was ever going to happen while the GNR name was still attached. if axl was out as the axl rose project he could play CD 14/14 if he wanted. but he chose to keep the GNR name and this is one of the consequences. people want to hear estranged whether he likes it or not.

Edited by Jackie Moon

its like people are saying to axl "you cant have that guy in the band because he looks too much like slash"

how do you think axl would reply to that? fuck off ill do what i want, probably.

axl didnt hire him because he looks like slash. he hired him because he is fucking awesome.

he wasn't going to not hire him because he looks like slash, though. axl would probably see that as giving in.

i think axl just has a thing for novelty hats.

SR was played nightly on the asian / canadian tour and it only seemed to get worse, the lowlight being south america where it was totally dropped.

look, i love CD, im moving forward, but asking for 50/50 is simply unreasonable. nobody goes to ACDC to hear black ice, you dont go see STP to hear between the lines, you dont go see GNR to hear madagascar.

thats not to say they shouldn't be played or people dont want them, i heard lots of "TWAT!" chants, but we are talking in generalities here. you have to be realistic.

axl promised buckethead this wouldn't be a GNR coverband, there is no way that was ever going to happen while the GNR name was still attached. if axl was out as the axl rose project he could play CD 14/14 if he wanted. but he chose to keep the GNR name and this is one of the consequences. people want to hear estranged whether he likes it or not.

I know I got ahead of myself when I said 'the majority of chinese should be played each night ,I know that would never happen.

But by not at least playing songs like Better,IRS, SHACK,ITW etc every night (and dropping ISE, BROWNSTONE) then when the hell will they play it on a more regular basis?

Im not expecting to see cd 14/14 every night, but damn when will they showcase more CD songs, Maybe ill fly over to see the Asian concerts when they tour there next, because they are the setlists im talking about

edit*

I know they played Shack quiet a few times at the start of the tour and it didn't sound the best, but look at TWAT, the first 2 times that was played it was pretty mediocre to say the best (except for a few lines) but when performed on the current tour the band pretty much nailed it.

If they can nail twat, then why couldnt they nail Shack with more practice/performances

Edited by gunns5

In an online interview with richard, just before the Europe tour, When asked if Europe was the end of the tour, he said something like "This tour is far from over." right?

if so then id say AUS dec, US early 2011. maybe a few more SA/Asia dates, then they COULD wrap the tour up with an appearance at RIR 2011.?

Edited by AxlIsGod.

In an online interview with richard, just before the Europe tour, When asked if Europe was the end of the tour, he said something like "This tour is far from over." right?

if so then id say AUS dec, US early 2011. maybe a few more SA/Asia dates, then they COULD wrap the tour up with an appearance at RIR 2011.?

Yeah, and they could reveal a few new songs at Riol ike they did in 2001. That'll be cool.

Maybe after thte European/Australian set of the tour, they work on the finishing touches of the new album, release it and tour the US behind the new album. The "End of Forever" US Tour. Then they'll probably disappear from the public eye for another two years, lets hope not.

I have said it before so why not say it again, i really can't see another album, at best there will be more touring but no new albums in my opinion.

Great live act but there doesn't seem to be any real hunger to create, maybe im wrong but after the shit storm that was CD's release i can't see why anybody would want to do it again

I think it's pretty obvious that the next Chinese Democracy album is right around the corner, probably with a coinciding U.S. tour.

Oh,wait, nevermind. That would actually be really great for the fans. God knows Axl's been doing his damndest to keep that at bay. :rolleyes:

:

I think it's pretty obvious that the next Chinese Democracy album is right around the corner, probably with a coinciding U.S. tour.

Oh,wait, nevermind. That would actually be really great for the fans. God knows Axl's been doing his damndest to keep that at bay. :rolleyes:

:

Yeah you're absolutely right - I get the whole 'Axl Rose' thing, but there's really nothing wrong with releasing an album more frequently than every 15 years. Just do it Axl, we won't call you a conformer, really we won't.