20 Gigs to go - Then what?

star

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No just saw this band for what it is. A cash grab greatest hits tour by a very competent tribute band. There is nothing to be ashamed of by admitting that. DJ is the greatest Slash imitator I have ever seen. I love what that are doing I think its great but there will never be another album.

Sorry, but that's an opinion, not a fact and I think many (including every member of the band) would disagree.

We know there is more material already recorded, most of the members have discussed their desire to make new, fresh music and it's clear from the chemistry and the fact that they jam together on a regular basis that there's a potential for some great, new music. That is a really harsh and unfair view to take.

To suggest DJ is a Slash imitator is a bit rich too - DJ has been doing his thing for years, well before he was a member of guns and his style in the band now is no different to what it's been when he's played with Sixx:AM, etc.

I understand you're probably feeling a little raw after your experiences at the Dublin show and that's fine and understandable, but to take Axl being late (which is no different from what he's been doing for the past 20 years) and convert that into a view that we'll never see another album in contravention of most of the evidence that we have in front of us is a bit much.

In response to the OP - Australian dates in December - a few months in between the European and AU shows - may be some time in there for the guys to get into the studio? Axl also bought the rights to produce a movie some time ago, so maybe some of his attention will be focused on that. Who knows?

I don't see them hitting the studio, Ron has said countless times he would love it but they never get a chance

I'm sure when the timing is right, they will. They're touring behind the last album they released now, and once they're done with that then it would seem that it might be the right time for the studio.

I don't see them hitting the studio, Ron has said countless times he would love it but they never get a chance

I'm sure when the timing is right, they will. They're touring behind the last album they released now, and once they're done with that then it would seem that it might be the right time for the studio.

if when the next album is released, you gotta think will they play those songs on tour as well as songs from chinese democracy, or will it just be like 2 songs from CD2 and then 2 songs from CD and then the majority of the other songs from Appetite?

I know it seems stupid bitching about a setlist years in advance, but if there only playing a handful of songs now from chinese after being released in 2008, will CD2 get the same amount of attention, and then all the love goes to appetite/uyi songs etc?

Because im sure if the current band write new material and it appears on CD2 then they will predominantly just want to play that .

It just seems like this band is getting on so well together (from what we see on stage anyway) that it would seem a shame for them to not really 'shine' by coming together and creating and performing their songs live, instead of playing songs that Bucket or slash wrote X decades ago.

Im not bashing, if anything I just want to see this band reach a height that none of the (new) lineups previously have before in terms of having a real good rapport on stage as well as creating music together and playing the music they created live all without having any interfering egos etc.

I just think that some songs that are played as a staple at every gnr concert (ala brownstone/ISE etc) should be dropped for just chinese songs or even just 1 chinese song.

but before anyone says im bitching about the setlist, then ill agree with you but its under positive pretenses.

and thats it from me, back to some crownies ;P

Edited by gunns5

No just saw this band for what it is. A cash grab greatest hits tour by a very competent tribute band. There is nothing to be ashamed of by admitting that. DJ is the greatest Slash imitator I have ever seen. I love what that are doing I think its great but there will never be another album.

It's easy for some not so informed people to say this, but if that really was the case, then why would they so often go on late and play heavy penalty fees, go under ground for many years, and not play the US??

Answer that please.

Guest RonMexico82

I believe that this band is more than capable of writing exciting fresh new material. That's not the point though. Axl has burnt so many bridges in the music business I can't see anyone touching him with a bargepole regarding releasing a new album. There is so much baggage attached to Axl I think in my opinion that he has bitten off more than he can chew, particularly in regards to Azoff. All I can really see is Axl touring with more or less the same greatest hits setlist for the foreseeable future.

and then?

I think before Australia they should play e.g. in GERMANY. I don't know what's the problem with Germany, but i think they should play there. A big Europe tour without country of 80 million citizens? I don't get it. That's a lot of fans there or?

Recording new material with this line-up will be a major issue financially as I am sure the label is not going to shell over a whole lot of money for "new recording" and would instead prefer to use what has already been done and paid for as the basis of any new album.

They are not going to give Axl any sort of new big advance to start a whole new process, and I am not sure he is physically capable at this point of doing something on a bare bones recording budget.

I think the idea of him starting from scratch on a new album is totally out of the question when you just look at it from a financial standpoint unless Axl is so committed he is going to pay for it all out of his own pocket. Realistically the best we can hope for is them tweaking and re-recording parts of the mountain of material that has at least been started, and hoping that he releases something this decade.

Axl has shown he is not exactly the highly motivated, self-starter type, so I see him having little interest in dealing with the process of getting another album out when there is little or no money in it for him. He makes his money touring, not releasing music.

To suggest DJ is a Slash imitator is a bit rich too - DJ has been doing his thing for years, well before he was a member of guns and his style in the band now is no different to what it's been when he's played with Sixx:AM, etc.

yes, but is it not possible that he's been influenced by Slash since long before he knew he was gonna be in GNR? as in, when he was learning guitar?

yes, but is it not possible that he's been influenced by Slash since long before he knew he was gonna be in GNR? as in, when he was learning guitar?

Sure, but imitator? Look, i'm a massive Slash fan, but he's not exactly the most original guitarist in the world.

Guest RonMexico82

Sure, but imitator? Look, i'm a massive Slash fan, but he's not exactly the most original guitarist in the world.

True but Slash's image is iconic. DJ is not known for his iconic image. Relative to Slash, the casual concert goer isn't going to have a clue as to who DJ is. This is why some people pick up on his similarities to Slash and think he is paying tribute to him.

There is an increasing number of people going to GNR shows who are woefully ignorant about the band. I call them the greatest hits crowd. If you look at Slash's facebook page some people were asking him lately if he was touring with Guns in Europe at the moment. One person even said that her friend persuaded her that Slash played at the GNR gig that he went to recently.

I always thought that Axl's intention was to move away from Slash, both in terms of image and sound. Buckethead was ample proof of this. However lately it looks a whole lot different.

Wow, some of you act as if the band has to release a new album every year while doing world tours just to be eligible for the title "active". CD was not released that long ago and they are still currently touring. There is a lot going on in the GNR world and they could take some downtime after this tour without it meaning they are "done" with their careers! If they finished this tour and we didn't hear or see from them until 2012-2013 (album or tour) I would consider that a fine schedule. It's going on now, enjoy it.

Wow, some of you act as if the band has to release a new album every year while doing world tours just to be eligible for the title "active". CD was not released that long ago and they are still currently touring. There is a lot going on in the GNR world and they could take some downtime after this tour without it meaning they are "done" with their careers! If they finished this tour and we didn't hear or see from them until 2012-2013 (album or tour) I would consider that a fine schedule. It's going on now, enjoy it.

Release a new album every year? No. Every fifteen years? Give me a break. Spotty tour with no US stops? Retarded.

I believe that this band is more than capable of writing exciting fresh new material. That's not the point though. Axl has burnt so many bridges in the music business I can't see anyone touching him with a bargepole regarding releasing a new album. There is so much baggage attached to Axl I think in my opinion that he has bitten off more than he can chew, particularly in regards to Azoff. All I can really see is Axl touring with more or less the same greatest hits setlist for the foreseeable future.

Huh?

Axl already has a label. They sold at least a few million copies of Chinese Democracy. Nevermind the exact numbers but it was a platinum CD in many countries including the U.S.

Now lets look at another success story: Black Gives Way to Blue by Alice in Chains. It hasn't sold close to what CD has but everyone points to it as a "successful comeback" and Duvall was talking about a new album recently.

If Guns outsold that, why wouldn't they put out a new album?

No, they won't get the funding they did before, but then they shouldn't need it. They have existing material. Plus, didn't they build a studio? Best Buy paid off the debt also.

And what does Azoff have to do with putting out a CD? If Azoff so much as tries to tamper with an album release the DOJ will likely throw his ass in jail. He's already being looked at by anti-trust lawyers.

and then?

I think before Australia they should play e.g. in GERMANY. I don't know what's the problem with Germany, but i think they should play there. A big Europe tour without country of 80 million citizens? I don't get it. That's a lot of fans there or?

Give it time. They might not have been able to work out the right deal. They might want to do a larger tour of Germany later. Germany, Poland, Ukraine - there are other countries that didn't get shows on this leg of the tour. You could easily do another European leg in 2011. They did what, 10 shows on the 1st euro leg, 24 shows on the 2nd euro leg? What's another 10 - 15 shows then?

Especially since the 1st 4 shows sold out. Promoters only look at the bottom line.