Is anyone else still digesting Chinese Democracy?

Best Regards

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I still find myself digesting Chinese Democracy. By that, I mean, I don't feel as though I have traveled every road that Chinese Democracy has to offer. Songs like Sorry and This I Love are so complex and emotionally charged that, in most cases, it would take repeated listens over a period of time before one is able to fully appreciate their grandeur.

Nearly 2 years after its release, I still find myself discovering meaning behind songs that previously went un-noticed.

I know alot of people think a new album would be great, but the truth is, we have no reason to complain. Chinese Democracy is a great album that takes time to understand and fully appreciate.

I'd be just as happy to get a remix of Chinese Democracy (as Brain hinted) as I would be if they were to release another album full of unheard material. I'd like to hear an Axl and orchestration only version of TWAT. I think adding a little background saxophone would be cool. Maybe a straight up club mix of Shackler. Guest vocals: Dr Dre.

Does Chinese Democracy still have un-tapped potential for you?

Edited by Best Regards

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that you have tried to digest it unlike many people...

It took me a few weeks of listening to get used to the new sounds (coming from a straight edge hard rock background) but i can say it is definitely my 2nd favorite GNR album. Sometimes my favorite depending on my mood.

But yeah i think it fully digested it after a couple weeks but it hasnt gotten old to me yet and i dont think it ever will.

Honestly, I digested it like diarhea, I shat it out quite quickly never to try it again.

I vomited that trash all over BestBuy's parking lot. I'm still feeling the side-effects to this day.

I "digested" it quickly. It only has a couple of decent songs. I have not played it since December 2008.

Wow. I really feel like I am surrounded by fans here. :rolleyes:

Say hello to 1988 for me.

Edited by Best Regards

Wow. I really feel like I am surrounded by fans here. :rolleyes:

Say hello to 1988 for me.

DId you read the other half of my post?

And beleive it or not "fans" can have their own opinion.

Oh and if you possess the means to get me to 1988 and see Guns N Roses oerform in that era, you'd make me an extremely happy man.

Edited by The Black

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I still find myself digesting Chinese Democracy. By that, I mean, I don't feel as though I have traveled every road that Chinese Democracy has to offer. Songs like Sorry and This I Love are so complex and emotionally charged that, in most cases, it would take repeated listens over a period of time before one is able to fully appreciate their grandeur.

Nearly 2 years after its release, I still find myself discovering meaning behind songs that previously went un-noticed.

I know alot of people think a new album would be great, but the truth is, we have no reason to complain. Chinese Democracy is a great album that takes time to understand and fully appreciate.

I'd be just as happy to get a remix of Chinese Democracy (as Brain hinted) as I would be if they were to release another album full of unheard material. I'd like to hear an Axl and orchestration only version of TWAT. I think adding a little background saxophone would be cool. Maybe a straight up club mix of Shackler. Guest vocals: Dr Dre.

Does Chinese Democracy still have un-tapped potential for you?

No, BBA.

I havn't played it in ages.

When I do play it, it's a real skip to moment experience:

skip track 1 - Chinese Democracy ..that into lol!

skip track 2 - Shacklers.. the alarm like intro.. ouch my ears..

Better - it takes too long to reach the good bit: Robins's solo :thumbsup:

Street of Dreams / The Blues - Good track

If The World - The Buckethead opening guitar is just great. It's all down hill from there..

There Was A Time - Too long, too bloated, too many layers - there's some good guitar in the mix..

skip track 7 - Catcher. The old leak had so much potential, then along came Bumblefoot..

skip track 8 - Scraped - fucking awful track. How this ended up on the album remains a mystery..

skip track 9 - Riad - Back in 2000 the Vegas show, Riad sound like it had potential.

skip track 10 - Sorry. Sorry but thistrack sucks hard..

skip track 11 - IRS. Gets boring all too soon. So repetitive.

Madagascar - Up there with The Blues, well almost..

This I Love - The Robin Finck solo is really something :thumbsup:

Prostitute - Probably the most balance song on the album. Not bad.

Edited by star

Songs like Sorry and This I Love are so complex

Are they? I don't really get why people say CD is complex? Actually, most of the songs have a rather ordinary structure. Just because it's overproduced doesn't mean it's complex. Lyrically, the only complex song to me is CITR...jmo

btt: I listen to CD once in a while. I really think the leaks destroyed it for me in some ways. I already listened to Better a million times before it got released.

Still listen to it a lot on i pod, blasted it on my stereo the other day and it felt like a different record - so much goin on.

would prefer a remix to nothing at all by a long shot but why rehash something that took so long to get released in the first place. that said a few club mixes that brains working on through i tunes or somethin would be bitchin

new record please!

Songs like Sorry and This I Love are so complex

Are they? I don't really get why people say CD is complex? Actually, most of the songs have a rather ordinary structure. Just because it's overproduced doesn't mean it's complex.

Respectfully disagree - production does play a huge part in the "complexity" of a record

It's definitely one of those records which isn't easy to decipher on first listen but after a while it makes complete sense but remains a mystery I don't think I'll ever hear IRS the same twice

Exactly. IRS has more lasting power than, say, Velvet Revolver's second album :D

Edited by Jyrgen