Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

WhazUp

I have been listening to this album a lot recently.

This is such a fantastic album and fits with AIC perfectly. Sure I miss Layne but he is not coming back. Will does a fantastic job with the vocals and harmonies and Jerry's songwriting is superb. The title track is always a tear-jerker and one of their best songs IMO.

Even without Layne, Alice In Chains lives on, and they are still one of the best bands around.

I agree with you completely! It may not be as good as the Layne albums but it doesn't change the fact of how amazing this album is I literally cried when I heard the title track.

Will blew me away when i saw them back in 2007 opening for VR, I like many didn't think anyone could replace Layne but he does a fantastic job, I hope they release a live record with him.

oh & by the way AIC is my 5th favorite band.

Edited by The Matinator

I echo the other views in this thread. I actually got to meet and hang out with the AiC guys (spent a good chuck of time with DuVall and Inez) when they played here last year. He's a really great guy, excellent performer... they're one of the most down to earth groups I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Gotta thank my smoking hot friend for getting in with Will and scoring me backstage passes and some time at their afterparty - she knew I was a big fan and thought of me. :heart:

It's basically an album that was way better than it had any right to be, given that reunions of this sort so very rarely work. It might not be their best album but it's one that wouldn't have disappointed Layne.

I really have to agree with that, too. I really, really, had no expectations for this album at all, because the singer is in my opinion the hardest member to replace. But the way they handled this reunion, step by step and making sure it felt like the right thing to do, is really what helped make this album so great. It really felt like a triumph when Check My Brain and Your Decision became decent hits after all of their work.

• 2 months later...

Album is fantastic !! But it was easier to replace Layne as Jerry is handling majority of lead vocals as he was on Self titled album so transition is not that extreme. Also they played it safe in some ways mxing all previous AiC albums

there are straight metal tracks like "One of My Kind"

"Private Hell" is like "Down in the Hole" follow-up in my opnion

"Your Decision" wouldn't be out of place on "Jar of Flies" and "When Sun Rose Again" is similar to "SAP" tracks.

I love this album as Alice in Chains is my second favorite band of all time and I wait eagerly for second album as they won't be playing it safe and give more lead vocals to William who is awesome singer ( look at AiC cover of "kashmir" on youTube - mindblowing stuff)

• 1 month later...