What does everyone think of Frank Ferrer?

GN'R Forever

Sorum was great, why all the hate?

Boring, uninspired, largely used the same fill for the whole two Use Your Illusion albums, didn't really understand the GNR sound, had his drum skins tightened to fuck, especially his snare, when part of what gave Appetite its feel was Steven's huge sounding, loose reverberating snare... and that drum solo... that god awful....drum solo, when Axl said "Here to turn your brains into mashed rice" I didn't think he meant it literally...

Best they ever had was Brain, the guy is a DEMON behind the kit, but I'm cool with Frank as well, his drums sound huge, he's got a great groove and a lot of enthusiasm, what's not to like?

Sorum was great, why all the hate?

Boring, uninspired, largely used the same fill for the whole two Use Your Illusion albums, didn't really understand the GNR sound, had his drum skins tightened to fuck, especially his snare, when part of what gave Appetite its feel was Steven's huge sounding, loose reverberating snare... and that drum solo... that god awful....drum solo, when Axl said "Here to turn your brains into mashed rice" I didn't think he meant it literally...

Best they ever had was Brain, the guy is a DEMON behind the kit, but I'm cool with Frank as well, his drums sound huge, he's got a great groove and a lot of enthusiasm, what's not to like?

Adler had a very bland, 80s Hair Metal sound.

Sorum on the UYIs was playing what the band told him to.

Listen to him on Snakepit's first record or VR. That's the true talent of him.

Solid but unspectacular.

Yet here you are ... posting on a GNR fan forum. :rolleyes:

God forbid anyone try being the voice of reason.

Ferrer doesnt seem to be anything special. Drums in GNR songs have never been anything extravagent so you dont need someone great to be drumming, if anything you should just try to find someone who is awesome and would be well received by (non delusional) fans.

But IMO, Brain was/is the best drummr GN'R have ever had

You're entitled to your opinion and everything, but it makes me laugh when people say things like this, because I saw GNR with Brain and GNR with Frank....and there is little difference live...I think that the drummers are simply session musicians, faces but no names, and I don't really think Ferrer really fits into the line up. I think GNR these days, for Axl, is himself, Chris, Tommy, Dizzy and Paul in the studio. I think everyone else is a welcome addition, much loved, but ultimately a session performer who adds to the music and the live performance but is not the essence of the band

If you're looking for a decent GNR drummer, try Josh Freese, because despite not performing on any records or playing live he co-wrote the title track from the new album and went on to form A Perfect Circle

For me, he earned a PILE of respect when he was onstage with Tool, playing Lateralus, and keeping with Danny Carey, was a truely breathtaking moment when I saw the youtube, unfortunately I wasnt there. Doubt many could accomplish that to begin with, given Mr Carey's calibre of playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zGA8BDauQ&feature=related

and Brain, although great..cant really hold a CANDLE to Mr Carey.

Is Frank playing on bongos with drumsticks? I've been wanting to hear this for a while cuz I was like "Someone from TOOL knows who Frank Ferrar is?" But his drums sounded like shit so I couldn't really judge his playing but what I could decipher didn't do much for me.

the best drumming on You could be mine has been from Frank .................... finally someone can fuckin nail it !

I thought of this after. YCBM with Frank is vastly improved from the shows I saw with Brain. No offense to Brain, and it's just one song...

Whos Frank Ferrer? Did I see him in the Better video? Or was it on the IRS vid?? perhaps I saw him on Modern Drumming magazine cover....hmmmmmmm..who the fuck is Frank Ferrer?

Replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a of the original..(did I get that right in the count?)

But hes a damn good skin pounder Ill give him that.

For me, he earned a PILE of respect when he was onstage with Tool, playing Lateralus, and keeping with Danny Carey, was a truely breathtaking moment when I saw the youtube, unfortunately I wasnt there. Doubt many could accomplish that to begin with, given Mr Carey's calibre of playing.

Is Frank playing on bongos with drumsticks? I've been wanting to hear this for a while cuz I was like "Someone from TOOL knows who Frank Ferrar is?" But his drums sounded like shit so I couldn't really judge his playing but what I could decipher didn't do much for me.

Mr Carrey is playing on his full set and Mr Ferrer is playing on a 7 piece set...and pwning it.

..and for non-Tool fans, Mr Ferrer joined in 1/2-way thru the song...the song is so long it had to be broken in 2 for youtube :)

part 1 is here if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJOEQVXIu4

Edited by happyguy35

Mr Carrey is playing on his full set and Mr Ferrer is playing on a 7 piece set...and pwning it.

I wasn't aware of this, I'll have to check it out. Tool happen to be my other favorite band. Saw them live in Hamilton a few years ago, watching Carey pound away on the skins is impressive. That's the first time I've been drawn to the drummer's performance really. It helps that Tool has their show very low key to purposely highlight each individual instrument. It wouldn't work for GN'R - different style etc. - but you really do notice each member more with the "frontman" standing at the back as just another "tool" in the band.