Arnhem, The Netherlands

saulhudson88

I think it is good to have the solo's, it gets Axl time to get back on track and use some of his oxygen mask, becuase he's not 25 anymore. He needs to relax more becuase singing the way he does and running around at almost 50 takes a toll on you eventually. I would rather Axl take breaks instead of just singing for the whole concert, it could ruin his voice or his health.

Yeap, and the UYI tour had overly long Slash solos for the same exact reason. Also it's not like Axl is the only singer who does that.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post is laughable. (pg 1)

Since when did ANY band start at 20:30?

What a naive prick.

Since when dit ANY band start at 22:20? Can't believe that people like you just make excuses for this...

Just the eyes of you and the other people who agree with you; here some articles about yesterday: (translated with google translate because I don't have the time to do it)

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Binnenland/article/detail/517092/2010/10/04/Axl-Rose-toont-divagedrag-ook-in-Arnhem.dhtml

Axl Rose show diva behavior in Arnhem

Axl Rose. AP PHOTO

ROTTERDAM - Axl Rose shows his diva behavior in Arnhem. The singer was in Amsterdam when Guns N 'Roses was supposed to be on stage at the Gelredome.

Only one hour after start time Rose was accompanied by a number of police motorcycles, including sirens and flashing lights, the stadium in Arnhem. After arrival it took another half hour before Rose was on stage.

Although the concert eventually started a half hour late, the atmosphere was reasonable. In previous similar actions in other countries let the public clearly does not appreciate his brand of diva behavior from Rose.

Especially since the high notes, dance steps and arranging back and forth from the past no more occupants in the 48-year-old singer.

The frontman dived during and between songs every now behind the scenes.

The public therefore reacted lukewarm to the musical performance of Rose and his band. Only when the use of the classic Sweet Child O 'Mine was the room a bit loose and there were even people in the gallery out of their chairs.

Guns N 'Roses recently started regularly at least one hour late with appearances. Thrown bottles are the band and their vocalist often accrue. (NEW / BVDL)

http://www.volkskrant.nl/kunst/article1425716.ece/Recensie_Guns_N_Roses_Is_dit_serieus

Review Guns N 'Roses: Is this serious?

Menno Pot on October 4 '10, 2:51 p.m., updated October 4 '10, 15:00

Guns N 'Roses concert at Montevideo in Uruguay, with links frontman Axl Rose (EPA)

LONDON - With rock & roll has it all still very little to do. This Guns N 'Roses and especially harmless kitsch.

During the two-part Use Your Illusion (1991) was a California-Guns N 'Roses at the height of his fame and had the band members all you Kurt Cobain not being allowed: hedonistic stadium rock gods, politically incorrect, unsympathetic and proud of it. But they were dangerous though. And well.

Debut of the occupation is only frontman Axl Rose (1962) remains. Temporary workers came and went, but you have to hand it to him: Rose has always been controversial.

That is precisely why the scare Gelredome in Arnhem, where GN'R Sunday in the (otherwise well-stocked) 'XS-up "occurred, with closed sides.

Rose that his audience had to wait until 22.15 hours, so the last trains were unattainable, was one of the fans is very "rock & roll found, but there sat the rub: with rock & roll still has it all very little to do. This Guns N 'Roses and especially harmless kitsch.

Axl Rose: The Musical

The first Dutch show since the release of Chinese Democracy (the long-awaited comeback album in 2008 finally appeared) was at times even a little ridiculous: then it seemed like Axl Rose: The Musical, with an excess cover band (three guitarists and two keyboard players, that often sat in the road) and Guns N 'Roses, Axl Rose as herself and one DJ Ashba as Slash.

The defining sound of old guitarist was so clearly imitated (cigarette, pose, hat) that you wondered: is this serious?

Guns N 'Roses in 2010 showed a couple Arnhem Fri anonymous musical mercenaries, especially instructed to color outside the lines. Their play lacked character and seemed bound by a choreography: fixed 'Leashes' on hard times.

Rose, meanwhile, emerged from the explosions, still dressed in his suitcase again: sober black during the funeral ballad November Rain, Cotton Eye Joe, a cowboy outfit during the wear-Sweet Child O'Mine.

Obbligato

Especially during the world hits the audience jumped up and the fire flared up briefly, but the momentum was never really in too long, fragmentary representation. Obligatory solo moments of the band members were to blame: the one doing the James Bond theme, another Bowie tingeltangelde a piece on the piano, but why?

Chinese Democracy was being considered, but stressed that work is actually what is wrong with the GN'R of today: the evil is too much testosterone rock pushed into the background by Rose's tendency to excess and puppetry. Would the football stadium in Arnhem anyone ever sung so exalted as a forgery Rose This I Love?

It should be Slash, rock & roll conscience of GN'R, Axl Rose hurt that these stingless show the old band names.

** Guns N 'Roses. XS Gelredome, Arnhem, October 3

http://www.omroepgelderland.nl/web/Nieuws/nieuwsartikel/729171/Guns-N-Roses-kost-Mojo-veel-geld.htm

Guns N 'Roses costs Mojo a lot of money

ARNHEM - Guns N 'Roses Sunday in Arnhem Gelredome ensured an enormous cost. The American rock band let fans over 1.5 hours waiting for action.

The delays had Mojo Concerts organizer for more than 600 visitors who came by public transport, arrange for extra buses. There were also the concert promoter extra people employed. All this caused a lot of extra costs.

Mojo knew there was a possibility that singer Axl Rose was prosecuting such encounters, as he often did. "We are holders of prior warning of any delays or premature termination of his concert. Of course we're not happy, this has cost us a lot of money. Unfortunately we can not prevent such actions, it should be a bit by the rock & roll world, "said a spokesman for Mojo.

Edited by saulhudson88

It's laughable that people keep whining that promoters or even the record labels don't make the highest profit when dealing with Guns N' Roses. Obviously Mojo Concert did very good business with the packed venue. I'm thankful about the bus organization which was well worth its 4 Euro ticket. There were a couple of people throwing drinks on the crowd before GNR got on stage, but they continued during the show as well.

Whenever I see a club show, the headliner won't start before 22h or 23h. Perhaps some people should stick to Rod Stewart or Supertramp to get an evening that better match their lifestyle. Were all these reviews coming from retirement home newspapers? ;-)

Oh and by the way the show was awesome. My highlights were Street of Dreams was played much more tight during that show than what I expected, Shackler's Revenge was nice to have, Don't Cry was so smooth and Welcome To The Jungle was played to perfection.

You even quoted the guy incharge of the venue that public transport isnt advisable and that Axl couldnt be late. So, you were well warned about Axl turning up late. Also, Axl doesn't give two shits about what time u start uni the next day, most of the time, the band have to be up and awake around a similer sort of time as you were, so they could travel to the next country, ect.

Perhaps the promoters should print 2230 as there start time, that's there fault, Axl doesn't decide what goes on the tickets.

I don't have a problem with solos but lets be honest if Axl would get into better shape for these tours he would not need to suck oxygen every 15 minutes to make it through a show...Mick Jagger is in his 60's and he runs around for 1:45 with his only break coming during Keefs two solo songs.........He can do this at his age because he trains for the tour...Axl is not yet 50 so there is no excuse for him to be out of shape..........

Wasn't he in a pretty good shape during the UYI tour and still took these breaks? I agree with you though, if I was him I would have stayed in the 2007 shape for this tour but it's really up to him :shrugs:

You've got to love the irony. This is the strongest Axl has sounded since the days of the old band but he's probably in the worst physical shape of any tour. He is not as out of shape as some people like to make out though.

You've got to love the irony. This is the strongest Axl has sounded since the days of the old band but he's probably in the worst physical shape of any tour. He is not as out of shape as some people like to make out though.

maybe the extra padding gives his voice more ressonance...

The defining sound of old guitarist was so clearly imitated (butt, pose, hat) that you wondered: is this serious?

:scared:

Cigarette :lol:

hahah exactly; the translation of google is good but not perfect :P

I don't have a problem with solos but lets be honest if Axl would get into better shape for these tours he would not need to suck oxygen every 15 minutes to make it through a show...Mick Jagger is in his 60's and he runs around for 1:45 with his only break coming during Keefs two solo songs.........He can do this at his age because he trains for the tour...Axl is not yet 50 so there is no excuse for him to be out of shape..........

Amen.

But than again; his voice was far better than I expected it would be...!

BUT:

- Show some goddamn respect to the fans and don't start 105 minutes to late (22:15 instead of 20:30). Cause some people have to work or go to school the next day, and when the concert is over at 0:50 and the last train has already leaved at 23:45 you're simply screwed.

- And get rid of that fucking solo's, we know that they are technically amazing players, but when the simply can't play with as much as feeling as Slash can (and the can't), than don't do it; they have no value.

And here's me thinking They went on early.........which they did compared to some shows!

I have to disagree with you about the solos, the guys do play with passion and feeling.

Edited by axlsend

It was the second time we saw them, and I think that's it for now (for me). I agree with all the negative reviews. You can say that the reviews are "brutal" and "not true", but face it, it's how it is. Only a handfull of people are still thinking that Axl is God and that he can whatever the fuck he want. And maybe he can, but the charme, the roughness and everything I think/feel is GnR didn't fit with what i saw yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I somehow liked it yesterday. But when that guitarplayer started "sweet child o' mine" people around were saying: That just doesn't fit, he shouldn't be allowed to play that intro. Sounds stupid, but I agree.

Too bad I'm one of those fans who just can't erase everything about the old days and listen with a "fresh" start to the new GnR...

But his voice was good :shades:

It was the second time we saw them, and I think that's it for now (for me). I agree with all the negative reviews. You can say that the reviews are "brutal" and "not true", but face it, it's how it is. Only a handfull of people are still thinking that Axl is God and that he can whatever the fuck he want. And maybe he can, but the charme, the roughness and everything I think/feel is GnR didn't fit with what i saw yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I somehow liked it yesterday. But when that guitarplayer started "sweet child o' mine" people around were saying: That just doesn't fit, he shouldn't be allowed to play that intro. Sounds stupid, but I agree.

Too bad I'm one of those fans who just can't erase everything about the old days and listen with a "fresh" start to the new GnR...

I know I will get bashed with 'forget the old days', 'Slash has left 14 years ago', 'these guitar players are better than Slash''or with other stupid arguments, but you are damn right.

I said it before in this thread: DJ Ashba has suprised me extremely; he can play the old songs near perfect BUT there isn't a rock atmosphere when he plays the intro's (WTTJ, SCOM as goes for Fortus playing the PC intro), only when Axl begins singing the atmoshpere is coming alive.

Just listen to this guitar sound; DJ Ashba can play this song near perfect, but he can never play it with much as feeling as it should be done:

edit*

To make my argument clear: read the article 'Concert review: Guns N' Roses' in the first post of this thread: "It's strange, during one song, the three different guitarists Slash solos on their behalf to see taken. And yet none of the three passes in the nostalgia for the Englishman to take away. Although, of course, do not expect them the master guitarist in detail imitate"

Edited by saulhudson88

Does it fit when Brian Johnson sings Let there be rock? Does it fit when Robert Trujillo starts to play the bass line in For whom the bell tolls?

Does it fit when Brian Johnson sings Let there be rock? Does it fit when Robert Trujillo starts to play the bass line in For whom the bell tolls?

Yes, but those songs are a bit different than for example SCOM and PC: two of the best songs that has ever been written. Almost everybody knows those songs and knows how these world famous guitarriffs sounds and that's not the case with the vocals our bass notes of those AC/DC songs.

Does it fit when you Kirk Hammet plays Thunderstruck? On cd maybe yes, live absolutely not.

Edited by saulhudson88

This ain't the 90's were GN'R were the biggest band in the world. Axl should be happy with the fact that people are still attending these shows and show some respect; you simply can't make an excuse for being almost 2hours over time. If it was an half an hour it wouldn't be a big deal, but it was two fucking hours.

I was home at 03:00 and I had to get up on 07:00 cause I had to go to school (and yes it's a 'respectable' study; Univeristy).

And you really think that is great to see 4 people having their own solo moment of 5-6 minutes? Please....

The solos are actually worth watching for the first time in years and I think they add a great deal to the show now. Apart from Bucket's solos back around 2000 the individual solos have always been shit, even Slash's Godfather Theme. Now that they are actually full instrumental pieces in their own right with the full band they're great and say what you want about Ashba, but his Ballad of Death kicks the arse of any solo any of the others have played including Slash.

I agree with you on the solos, but that's not what I came there for. And I think SaulHudson88 thinks that way too. I'm so damn jealous of the people who went to a concert between '87-'93. I want that too, you know. But that's history. Don't blame us for hoping to see and feel a little of the atmosphere of that time.. B)

Edited by thefriendlyfiend

Yes, but those songs are a bit different than for example SCOM and PC: two of the best songs that has ever been written. Almost everybody knows those songs and knows how these world famous guitarriffs sounds and that's not the case with the vocals our bass notes of those AC/DC songs.

Does it fit when you Kirk Hammet plays Thunderstruck? On cd maybe yes, live absolutely not.

You're right. If anything, vocal tones are MORE distinct from person to person than a guitar tone. Bass style is harder to distinguish from person to person, but Cliff Burton was very unique.

IMO, this is really about, at least partially, a pre-existing bias shaping how you experience something. If you go into the show biased towards the new band, you are more likely to think that DJ playing the SCOM intro doesn't "fit" and that he shouldn't be "allowed to" play it.

Ali

lol, those reviews are bullshit actually.

very badly translated too btw

also, the opening act were more than half an hour late, they quit around 20:45 which gives the people about 45 minutes to rebuilt the stage for guns which makes it 21:30 before they can even take the stage. and in that case, guns were only 50 minutes late ;)

In regards to the OP: I'm sorry but you follow this band, you know you are lucky if they take the stage before 11. To then come on here and complain about it having known this information months in advance is idiotic. If it was going to mess up your plans then don't go or plan accordingly as I am with the o2 dates in London. For people unaware of the start time then fair enough, they have a right to be angry but for people who know of the situation they should take that into account when buying the ticket.

Rather than bitching that the guitarists arent Slash. How about you put he guitarists on their own merit? Slash is old news in comparison.

Slash isnt the best guitarist in the world. I wouldnt even put him in the top 1,000,000. Let it go.