Kanye West

inthisriver

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Album's a flop internationally. Be interesting to see how the U.S. sales are.

I would be surprised if they were much better, that whole Taylor Swift thing is still pretty fresh with the public. His public persona has long super seceded his music, and it's going to hurt him.

I don't think it's because of the Taylor Swift thing... he hasn't been doing any promotion over here at all and, with the exception of Power, none of the songs are particularly radio friendly.

I would be surprised if they were much better, that whole Taylor Swift thing is still pretty fresh with the public. His public persona has long super seceded his music, and it's going to hurt him.

I don't think it's because of the Taylor Swift thing... he hasn't been doing any promotion over here at all and, with the exception of Power, none of the songs are particularly radio friendly.

Maybe not specifically, but it's just another straw on top of his camel back of a public persona. A lot of people hate the guy for his arrogance, and can't see past that to his music. I know that's part of the reason why I never looked into his music until now. Taylor Swift is the sweet, innocent, everygirl, and Kanye going after her made him into sort of a villain. I don't give a fuck how many copies he sells though, I'm really digging the album and I'm happy with that.

Anyway, anyone else get really annoyed at the intro to So Appalled? "One hand in the air, if you don't really care..." etc, it kinda kills the song for me when it keeps getting repeated. Listening to Runaway right now though, damn good song. For some reason I'm almost reminded of industrial music because of that slow, dirgey beat.

Eh, debuted number one on Billboards top 200. 5/5 Rolling Stone, 9/10 Spin.... Sold close to 500k copies in the first week not even counting the iTunes downloads. I don't see this album as a flop in any sense.

For me the last stand music rebels are Axl, Eminem and Kanye. Vartiey magazine got it so right.

But perhaps the most remarkable element of West's success is that it comes despite his battered public persona. From his high-profile dustups with public figures ranging from Swift to Matt Lauer and George W. Bush, plus an off-the-record calling-out from Barack Obama, no artist since Eminem or Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose has seen such success arrive concurrently with such wide public criticism.

West's career to date has obvious parallels to Rose's, and "Fantasy" is in many ways a descendant of "Use Your Illusion," GNR's 1991 double album set.

Like Rose, West began his career as an unusually relatable pop music figure. Raised middle class, with none of the street hustler background (real or imagined) that informs so many rappers, West instead spoke on such topics as the frustrations of college and working at the Gap. Yet both artists rapidly moved from these humble early personae into theretofore-unseen degrees of musical opulence and paranoid lyrical insularity.

"Illusion" was a monolith that ran over 2½ hours, featuring several heavily orchestrated epics. To promote the record, Rose insisted on shooting elaborate musicvids, culminating in a $4 million-budgeted clip for "Estranged."

While far shorter at 68 minutes, "Fantasy" nonetheless lists 44 additional musicians in the liner notes, ranging from string sections to Elton John, Jay-Z, Justin Vernon and Chris Rock in guest spots. There are several long musical interludes and codas, with album centerpiece "Runaway" stretching to more than nine minutes. In lieu of a traditional video, West instead directed a lavish, 35-minute art film incorporating his music. No rap record has ever been so elaborately produced.

Like Rose, West is obsessed with his own sense of persecution -- "Fantasy" includes direct attacks on the cast of "SNL" and the writers of "South Park," while Rose famously challenged several music critics, by name, to public fisticuffs on "Illusion." Combined with the record's detours into misogyny and unexpected political outbursts (both also Rose hallmarks), West has demanded considerable indulgence from fans accustomed to his radio-ready pop.

The excesses of "Illusion" eventually proved fatal to Guns N' Roses, as all original members save Axl subsequently left the band, leaving Rose to spend 17 years (and a reported $10 million) producing a proper follow-up. West has no questioning bandmates with which to contend, but it's also hard to see where he goes from here. One hopes the warning signs from pop's most famous prior over-reaching blacksheep will not go unnoticed.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028283?refCatId=16

Power is great track. I like 6 off this cd. I think he's better on his own rapping about being an asshole as the economy collapses than collabing. All the Lights would be great in a Gta game.

Yeah, I'd like to hear him rap more on this CD, there's so many guests it feels like you hardly get to hear Kanye.