The cartoon at the start of rio 2001

Atlas Shrugged

I am sure this has been discussed before but I haven't seen any productive discussion regarding the cartoon+exorcist intro in 2001 at rock in rio. The cartoon itself seems to be laden with clumsy symbolism, as does the significance of the exorcist quote, but what does it reveal about Ax's state of mind at the time, and GNR? What message was he trying to get out via the cartoon+quote? Obviously there was a motivation behind the cartoon, a creative force, it's too nonsensical and metaphoric just to be 'a bit of fun.'

To this day that period in his life(late 90's/early 2000's), that band and that cartoon, are just so enigmatic and mysterious to me. So, what messages do you think are hidden within the cartoon, and what do they mean? eg. The alien, the midget, the weird "I think I shit myself" line. As an artist and lyricist Axl often uses symbolism, metaphor etc. hes a very poetic person, that's why I think these almost totemic images in the cartoon must have been/still are relevant in some way to a message or point of view he wanted to share.

to those who don't know what im talking about heres the vid

Edited by Atlas Shrugged

Great opening.

I thihk the video was nothing more than Axl poking fun at the rumours that had been going around about him. The urine in the bottles referring to his 'reclusive' nature, the women, the oxygen, the rumoured interest in mysticism. He does have a sense of humour. Not sure about the diet Coke reference. His weight? Selling out?

I don't think it was meant to be anything too heavy.

Great opening.

I thihk the video was nothing more than Axl poking fun at the rumours that had been going around about him. The urine in the bottles referring to his 'reclusive' nature, the women, the oxygen, the rumoured interest in mysticism. He does have a sense of humour. Not sure about the diet Coke reference. His weight? Selling out?

I don't think it was meant to be anything too heavy.

Yep. This. This was pretty close to right after that insane Rolling stone article came out that just lambasted him.

man, I just rewatched some of the videos from that show. the band seriously sucked back then. seriously. i'm so glad they've improved.

Really? Rock In Rio 3 is, in my opinion, one of the best shows guns ever played. Axl's voice wasn't great, but the energy of the band and the audience was incredible.

man, I just rewatched some of the videos from that show. the band seriously sucked back then. seriously. i'm so glad they've improved.

Really? Rock In Rio 3 is, in my opinion, one of the best shows guns ever played. Axl's voice wasn't great, but the energy of the band and the audience was incredible.

i agree

anyone got a link to this rs article please??

this band had Brain on drums, Bucked and Finck on guitar. I like this lineup alot better. Hes voice wasnt great, but it was one of the first show hes did in year and that explains alot. Some songs sucke, Paradise city, silkworms, nightrain...but one of the best versions of patience, the best street of dreams version and a killer chin dem version was played. Hes intro at Jungle was pure macig.

it had its ups and downs....but overall a good. show. Buckets yellow jacket makes him look like an alian thoug

this band had Brain on drums, Bucked and Finck on guitar. I like this lineup alot better. Hes voice wasnt great, but it was one of the first show hes did in year and that explains alot. Some songs sucke, Paradise city, silkworms, nightrain...but one of the best versions of patience, the best street of dreams version and a killer chin dem version was played. Hes intro at Jungle was pure macig.

it had its ups and downs....but overall a good. show. Buckets yellow jacket makes him look like an alian thoug

Dude, they botched the ending of Patience. I own the show on VHS and think it was pretty cool but Patience was definitely NOT a highlight.

I honestly think the 2001 'Freak Show' lineup would have taken the world by storm if it had not been called Guns N Roses. It was such a unique band with an awesome sound.

i agree, definitely the most interesting lineup aesthetically and musically.

Edited by Atlas Shrugged

The best Patience version ever if you ask me. Maybe the 30 latest second wasnt that great, but the rest was the real deal m8. Beautiful version. The Blues too, never been played a better version. Axls Voice fit the song perfectly. Too bad how the song ended on the record and in 2006 when it was fucked up.

How can u say Patience sucked?

The best Patience version ever if you ask me. Maybe the 30 latest second wasnt that great, but the rest was the real deal m8. Beautiful version. The Blues too, never been played a better version. Axls Voice fit the song perfectly. Too bad how the song ended on the record and in 2006 when it was fucked up.

Um, because they fucked up the ending...

At about the 5:17 minute mark...Axl's singing the outro "I need you..woa I need you...." and the band doesn't even realize the song's suppose to end and keeps fucking playing. Axl's like WTF..and has to figure out what's going on. It's an absolute travesty.

Edited by Nintari

At about the 5:17 minute mark...Axl's singing the outro "I need you..woa I need you...." and the band doesn't even realize the song's suppose to end and keeps fucking playing. Axl's like WTF..and has to figure out what's going on. It's an absolute travesty.

This isn't memorex, it's not really a big deal.

I think it was. I mean, not only did they miss the last bar, they KEPT ON missing it. It's like none of them were even paying attention except Axl.

Edited by Nintari

Maybe they should have rehearsed?

I think it was. I mean, not only did they miss the last bar, they KEPT ON missing it. It's like none of them were even paying attention except Axl.

Meh, every line up of GN'R screws up on stage at some point, it's part of their charm!