Tesla claims they wrote Patience first

BehindTheMask

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I'll be devastated if this turns out to be Telsas material.

I really don't see how it could though. Unless there was some misunderstanding

Telsa needs to get on a boat with the rest of the washed up 80's bands and sail far, far away.

Some people would say that about Guns. Show a little respect. Telsa was a solid band.

I guess so was Slaughter..Poison,Warrant,Mr. Big and all the other 80's garbage that time has rightfully buried. The whole fucking scene was a disgrace to rock n roll.

I was watching That Metal Show on VH-1 Classic last night, and during 1 of the commercials, they showed a preview for next weeks (November 13) episode. The episode features Jeff Keith and Frank Hannon from Tesla, and the announcer said they reveal for the first time, something about Guns n' Roses. They then show a clip of them saying they were label mates on Geffen, and Tesla did a demo song called, "Better Off Without You," which they said became "Patience," to which the TMS crew reacted with shock. There's a replay of TMS at midnight Eastern time tonight, and it will be on a lot in the next week (the episode features Phil Collen from Def Leppard, and Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot), and the commercial is shown once during the show. I don't know if the Tesla guys were saying Gn'R ripped the song off or what, as the clip was only about 30 seconds long. Has anyone ever heard this before?

I saw Tesla open for Roth in 85/86 and the lead singer had that snake dance down pat too.

Just sayin'.

After Guns, my favorite 80's band is Tesla. Good to see people sticking up for them!

As far as the claim goes, I'll wait until the show airs to comment. Hard to watch that show though, those guy come off quite phony/sleazy & creepy. :tongue2:

Like I said, it's hard to tell from the clip just how it comes off. You know how the news likes to make sensational headlines, and then it turns out that was a hook to get you to watch? That's what this commercial came off as. I'm eager to hear the story, and why it's coming up now.

I have to agree about TMS. I like that Eddie Trunk still gives classic hard rock/metal a home, but he comes off as big time name dropper. He's always bragging about who he's met, or places he's been, etc. It gets to be quite annoying when he cuts off a guest to say stuff like, "I remember I was there in '83, and no one else stood up for you guys but me," or has to constantly mention how many musicians text him on a daily basis. As for the rest of the crew, I'm not doubting their love for metal. That girl they have on the show is a complete poser, though. Then again, she's basically there to be eye candy.

Telsa needs to get on a boat with the rest of the washed up 80's bands and sail far, far away.

Some people would say that about Guns. Show a little respect. Telsa was a solid band.

I guess so was Slaughter..Poison,Warrant,Mr. Big and all the other 80's garbage that time has rightfully buried. The whole fucking scene was a disgrace to rock n roll.

Yes, heaven forbid rock and roll being about having some fun. If anything, it was more a resurgence rater that a disgrace. It, like just about anything, became a parody of itself when it became a bandwagon situation.

For those that missed it, here's what was said. TMS has this segment called the Throwdown, where they argue on what was better, like a song, band, album, etc. Tonight's Throwdown was which was the best acoustic hard rock song, Patience or Signs. The Tesla guys obviously picked Signs, as did Chuck Billy from Testament. Eddie Trunk picked Patience, and said he did so because it was an original song, while Signs was a cover. Frank Hannon then jumped in, saying they were label mates on Geffen, and Tesla did a demo song called "Better Off Without You," which became "Patience." Right away, Eddie Trunk responded with, "Sue their asses!" Jeff went on to mock Axl's whistling in Patience, saying, "He whistled in the song! You don't whistle, you sing!" Someone mentioned that Gn'R ripped them off, and Frank said, "We don't know if it was them, Tom Zutaut, or what." Then, they went on to say that Patience was an original song, but the whole, "We need a little patience" part at the end was theirs. The end result was Tesla "winning" the Throwdown, since the fans cheered for Signs (which wasn't surprising, given who was on stage).

That has to be one of the most asshole statements made by any one on this board for any reason..as if you knew what rock and roll was in the first place. All I can say is.. I had a fucking really great time with no regrets.

Any fucker that has the shit to say that obviously wasnt there and has no clue..because we all know the post 80's rock scene is so much more..boring and bland..and contrived and..well cheesy.

That has to be one of the most asshole statements made by any one on this board for any reason..as if you knew what rock and roll was in the first place. All I can say is.. I had a fucking really great time with no regrets.

Any fucker that has the shit to say that obviously wasnt there and has no clue..because we all know the post 80's rock scene is so much more..boring and bland..and contrived and..well cheesy.

The 80's rock scene was fun, but the music blew huge penis.

Yes, heaven forbid rock and roll being about having some fun. If anything, it was more a resurgence rater that a disgrace. It, like just about anything, became a parody of itself when it became a bandwagon situation.

You can like and believe in whatever you want but I believe music is a serious thing, to be taken seriously. That's one of the reasons I like Axl Rose. Songs like CITY and Prostitute etc. are amazing pieces of art.

Cherry Pie? Not so fucking much........

Edited by Nintari

Tesla wasn't such band.they were more classsic rock than glam metal, they were never glam more like heavy Aerosmith influenced band. They didn't write songs about sex, drugs, motocycles and cherry pies. They have actual talent but don't have glam metal attitude.

Putting them in the same line as Poison, Warrant etc is showing lack of actual knowledge about songs Tesla wrote and songs that bands wrote.

You can like and believe in whatever you want but I believe music is a serious thing, to be taken seriously. That's one of the reasons I like Axl Rose. Songs like CITY and Prostitute etc. are amazing pieces of art.

Here's where I stand up for the old timers:

Mr. Jani Lane. Warrant's image was at times laughable, but as a song writer Jani has chops. Cherry Pie was written by request of the record company, and wasn't supposed to be on the album in the 1st place, much less be the title! I'm not saying you'll enjoy other works of his, but basically Cherry Pie is Jani's My World.

C.C. Deville is Poison, IMO. I know people knock him, but I think he has a great ear for melody and much like Jani, an under-appreciated song-smith. If you don't believe me, check out some Bret Michales solo efforts if you dare.

It hurts a bit to defend Mr. Big, but they're basically Chickenfoot circa late 80's. Accomplished musicians writing pop tunes. You could basically unplug Bumble from GNR and put Paul Gilbert in his place as a piece of that art rock puzzle.

There's only one Axl Rose, and there's a reason that those two songs you mentioned are so good. He's a perfectionist with no time table, and the balls to tell the record company to sit on it.

As far as music being a serious art form, that's all good. I'll assume that you don't enjoy songs from GNR's early days, as there was a just a bit of humor and fun amongst the darkness they presented.

Here's where I stand up for the old timers:

Mr. Jani Lane. Warrant's image was at times laughable, but as a song writer Jani has chops. Cherry Pie was written by request of the record company, and wasn't supposed to be on the album in the 1st place, much less be the title! I'm not saying you'll enjoy other works of his, but basically Cherry Pie is Jani's My World.

C.C. Deville is Poison, IMO. I know people knock him, but I think he has a great ear for melody and much like Jani, an under-appreciated song-smith. If you don't believe me, check out some Bret Michales solo efforts if you dare.

It hurts a bit to defend Mr. Big, but they're basically Chickenfoot circa late 80's. Accomplished musicians writing pop tunes. You could basically unplug Bumble from GNR and put Paul Gilbert in his place as a piece of that art rock puzzle.

There's only one Axl Rose, and there's a reason that those two songs you mentioned are so good. He's a perfectionist with no time table, and the balls to tell the record company to sit on it.

As far as music being a serious art form, that's all good. I'll assume that you don't enjoy songs from GNR's early days, as there was a just a bit of humor and fun amongst the darkness they presented.

Great write up, but I AM an "old timer". I lived right through that shit. From "Slippery When Wet" to "Open Up And Say Ahh". That era of pouty lips,cross dressing,hair spray,make up and god awful music, most of which was made sort of a parody of itself....DESERVED to die. It was all one big joke after another imo. I look back at old 80's hair metal videos and I can't BELIEVE people use to be able to watch/listen to that garbage and buy into it. There were very few bands that made it out of that era alive, and for good reason.

The whole thing was nothing more then...a "scene". Towards the end it had nothing to do with the music being written (if you can call most of that music) and more about image and other things. There was a documentary made, I forget the name of it...but it showed just how bad it really got

I'm glad Seattle wiped away 99% of that crap.

Edited by Nintari

Well, the 80s rock scene produced a fun atmosphere and some cool tunes. I agree that a lot of it was really, really lame, but that doesn't mean there were no redeeming qualities. You can't just lump every band in with the worst of that era. That is what a lot of people do with GN'R - to them GN'R and Poison are the same thing and we all know that's just wrong.

Most music in the 90s and 00s is crap too. That's just the way it goes. You are going to have the elite bands in any given era, followed by the majority of bands who produce mediocre music (okay, but unremarkable). That's what I think of most of 80s rock...the musicians are usually capable and the music sounds fine, but it lacks soul, it's nothing special, and the lyrics are usually really cheesy. But not every band deserves to get painted with that broad brushstroke.

Edited by KBear

I like Warrant, Poisonm etc.

But the bands that came a few years later blows them out of the water. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Alice In Chains, etc.

Take Pearl Jam for example. They are down to earth, lyrics are real and emotional, music is genuine and good, and they are amazing live.

But the bands that came a few years later blows them out of the water. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Alice In Chains, etc.

Take Pearl Jam for example. They are down to earth, lyrics are real and emotional, music is genuine and good, and they are amazing live.

Alice in Chains is a great band, they are one step above the bands you just mentioned imho.... pearl jam? i honestly don't like em i see eddie vedder like a miserable human being

Edited by dario27

Alice in Chains is a great band, they are one step above the bands you just mentioned imho.... pearl jam? i honestly don't like em i see eddie vedder like a miserable human being

How come you see him as a "miserable human being"?

is just my opinion, but he seems to always try hard to look cool or smart or intelligent and i might be very stupid, not cool and dumb but i only see him as miserable.

he just doesn't seem happy with anything, or tries to portray that image... even Cobain, as genuine as he was looked better

if he hates his life that much he should try something else, flipping burgers or working at a car wash, but he doesn't seem happy being a rock star

again is just my opionion Whazup, is nothing personal. Jerry Cantrell, now that's a genius

is just my opinion, but he seems to always try hard to look cool or smart or intelligent and i might be very stupid, not cool and dumb but i only see him as miserable.

he just doesn't seem happy with anything, or tries to portray that image... even Cobain, as genuine as he was looked better

if he hates his life that much he should try something else, flipping burgers or working at a car wash, but he doesn't seem happy being a rock star

again is just my opionion Whazup, is nothing personal. Jerry Cantrell, now that's a genius

No worries, I was just curious.

But I do agree, Jerry Cantrell is pretty awesome :)

I seriously love cantrell's Lyrics, whomever said they liked Warrant :D is beyond help, poison, and shit-bands like this are a fkn joke, don't like pearl jam either-he is trying to do a terrible Morrison impersonation imo