Tesla claims they wrote Patience first

BehindTheMask

I was watching That Metal Show on VH-1 Classic last night, and during 1 of the commercials, they showed a preview for next weeks (November 13) episode. The episode features Jeff Keith and Frank Hannon from Tesla, and the announcer said they reveal for the first time, something about Guns n' Roses. They then show a clip of them saying they were label mates on Geffen, and Tesla did a demo song called, "Better Off Without You," which they said became "Patience," to which the TMS crew reacted with shock. There's a replay of TMS at midnight Eastern time tonight, and it will be on a lot in the next week (the episode features Phil Collen from Def Leppard, and Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot), and the commercial is shown once during the show. I don't know if the Tesla guys were saying Gn'R ripped the song off or what, as the clip was only about 30 seconds long. Has anyone ever heard this before?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of this but maybe they came up with a song that could of been as big or good as Patience, maybe that is what they mean? Donno

No. If I remember correctly, Frank Hannon said, "We wrote a demo song called "Better Off Without You," and that became "Patience," or something to that effect. From the reaction of everyone after hearing it, it makes it seem like they were saying Guns stole the song and renamed it.

if they ripped it off, i'd say tesla is a little late to claim it...

like 22 years late...

True. From the clip, it's hard to tell. I just thought it was interesting, as apparently this is the first time anyone is hearing this story.

Edited by BehindTheMask

"In 1984, Izzy Stradlin lived in an apartment across the street from me in Hollywood, right behind the Chinese Theater off Hollywood Boulevard. The man seemed to ALWAYS have an acoustic guitar in his hands, and was always writing bits and pieces of songs. He still does this today.

There was one especially melodic thing that he had been working on, and every once in a while he would dust it off and work on it some more.

By 1986, our band Guns N' Roses had a record deal. With that money, I put myself on a small stipend that could basically pay my rent--or half-rent, I should say--for about six months.

One of my best friends at the time was looking to move to Hollywood from her parents' house somewhere in Orange County. She and I decided that we could share rent on a one-bedroom apartment on Gardner; she would get the bedroom, and I the floor of the dining room (which I cordoned off into my little den of darkness).

My other good friend then was a guy named Del James, a recent transplant from New York who became an important part of our tightknit little group of friends and ersatz consiglieres.

Del needed a place to crash for a week or so, and back then, what was mine was his. During that first week of couch-surfing at my apartment, Del and my roommate Debby became romantic, and Del moved from the couch to her bedroom.

Del was an avid reader, and turned me onto a book called Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I remember just sitting in my bedroom/dining room with my curtain pulled taught, and reading this book with life sort of swirling around me in our apartment. There were drugs aplenty then, and Valium was the drug-of-the-month at that particular point.

I remembered Izzy's little ditty, which at that point had a working title of "Patience," and I wrote a lyrical verse then that went, '"I sit here doing drugs/Reading a book about slugs/All I need is a little patience."

This horrible lyric never made it past my apartment front door, thank God. Axl came up with a great lyric, seemingly out of nowhere, that of course became the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning--a ballsy move by Axl--while seeming odd to some of our fans and critics alike when the record Lies was released, became a part of pop culture. The song just wouldn't be the song without it, right? This was always one of my favorite GN'R songs that we did live."

Source- Duff McKagan

"In 1984, Izzy Stradlin lived in an apartment across the street from me in Hollywood, right behind the Chinese Theater off Hollywood Boulevard. The man seemed to ALWAYS have an acoustic guitar in his hands, and was always writing bits and pieces of songs. He still does this today.

There was one especially melodic thing that he had been working on, and every once in a while he would dust it off and work on it some more.

By 1986, our band Guns N' Roses had a record deal. With that money, I put myself on a small stipend that could basically pay my rent--or half-rent, I should say--for about six months.

One of my best friends at the time was looking to move to Hollywood from her parents' house somewhere in Orange County. She and I decided that we could share rent on a one-bedroom apartment on Gardner; she would get the bedroom, and I the floor of the dining room (which I cordoned off into my little den of darkness).

My other good friend then was a guy named Del James, a recent transplant from New York who became an important part of our tightknit little group of friends and ersatz consiglieres.

Del needed a place to crash for a week or so, and back then, what was mine was his. During that first week of couch-surfing at my apartment, Del and my roommate Debby became romantic, and Del moved from the couch to her bedroom.

Del was an avid reader, and turned me onto a book called Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I remember just sitting in my bedroom/dining room with my curtain pulled taught, and reading this book with life sort of swirling around me in our apartment. There were drugs aplenty then, and Valium was the drug-of-the-month at that particular point.

I remembered Izzy's little ditty, which at that point had a working title of "Patience," and I wrote a lyrical verse then that went, '"I sit here doing drugs/Reading a book about slugs/All I need is a little patience."

This horrible lyric never made it past my apartment front door, thank God. Axl came up with a great lyric, seemingly out of nowhere, that of course became the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning--a ballsy move by Axl--while seeming odd to some of our fans and critics alike when the record Lies was released, became a part of pop culture. The song just wouldn't be the song without it, right? This was always one of my favorite GN'R songs that we did live."

Source- Duff McKagan

I don't doubt this at all. I'm just interested in why Tesla is making this claim now, of all times.

Source- Duff McKagan

I don't doubt this at all. I'm just interested in why Tesla is making this claim now, of all times.

I call Bullshit on the Tesla shit!! why didn't they say anything before now?

Let's not all over analyse (sp) the comment, and let's not all start bashing Tesla. It was one comment and none of us know the entire content of what he was talking about.

And yes, I will admit that I think Tesla is one of the most underrated bands from that generation. They put out some fantastic guitar-driven rock and roll.

Let's not all over analyse (sp) the comment, and let's not all start bashing Tesla. It was one comment and none of us know the entire content of what he was talking about.

And yes, I will admit that I think Tesla is one of the most underrated bands from that generation. They put out some fantastic guitar-driven rock and roll.

True. I didn't start this thread as a Tesla bash fest. I just heard the comment, and it piqued my interest, since I'd never heard this claim anywhere else before. I'm looking forward to the story behind all this.

They're working on a box set and the demo's prob. going to be on it.

Maybe it's coincidence, maybe not, but it's based around some basic chords that easily could sound similar to any number of songs.

Unrelated but interesting. I'm sure there will be a few guitars and gear that were "burned up in the fire"...

http://www.kcra.com/news/25222158/detail.html