Did GNR get you into other bands?

sascha

I admit it wasn’t until I heard Dizzy’s rendition of Ziggy Stardust in 2006 that I got into Bowie, I mean I knew who David Bowie was of course but it was Dizzy’s cover that got me to check out his albums and stuff. Boy did I miss out, I only knew the radio stuff but the guy created some really good music!!

Did GN’R get you into other bands as well with their covers? Anyone got into McCartney because of LALD?

I mean they did like a lot of covers, so I wonder if anyone of you checked out the origjnals and discovered something?

btw: If you ever feel like checking out a bit Elton John beyond the candle song I recommend his album „Tumbleweed Connection“, some pretty good stuff there.

New Rose got me into the Damned (Seen them live 4 times now)

Sympathy For The Devil got me into the Rolling Stones

Velvet Revolver

Slash's Snakepit

Loaded

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Izzy Stradlin

Gilby Clarke

Edited by seely

My interest in Guns N' Roses got me to check out Metallica (started with The Black Album because it came up on some site or forum somewhere as being similar in style) as well as various members' side projects (Snakepit, Loaded, etc...). Velvet Revolver too of course.

Technically, the original band got me into the new band. Part of my interest in the band post-2000 came from the sheer mysterious nature of when things were going to happen with Chinese Democracy and when Axl would tour again. I started listening to Guns N' Roses during 2004, which of couse was during the middle of the band's downtime and two years before they would tour again. Had it not been for my interest in the original band I probably would have never decided to check out the new line-up and familiarize myself with the music that was to come. As long and perhaps unnecessary as the wait for Chinese Democracy was, it was in some ways a fun time to be a fan. Everything was so unexpected and still is - I think that is part of the fun in being a fan of Guns N' Roses. As long as you don't get too wrapped up in what's going on (ie. If the band never released another album, I'd be disappointed but technically it wouldn't really affect my life), then when things happen it's that much more special and fun.

Guns got me to a couple of bands ,Skid Row is one of them .

I remenber one time a friend left a couple cds with me,one from skid row i remenber she saying something like" the guy from that band looked like Axl back in the day"and i thought to myself"sure .....NO ,i bet he doesnt :rolleyes: "cause i figured it was her Axl obessesion talking . I had nothing to do ,so i started listening the cds ...the cd from skid row called my attention cause i thought the name was strange ubut lright after the first song finished i gave up.

Later while i was looking for some guns videos ..i saw one that was with guns , skid row and metallica doing a special show where Axl sang "Piece of me" and i really liked it . And then i found a new love , skid row .

Most definitely - GN'R opened a few new musical avenues for me.

1) Jane's Addiction (due to Dave Navarro's contributions to Oh My God)

2) Buckethead (of course!)

3) Nine Inch Nails (due to Robin Finck)

4) A Perfect Circle (Josh Freese and Billy Howerdel's work on OMG / CD)

5) Queen (due to Axl referencing them as an inspiration in an early CD interview)

Edited by EccoTides

Most of the bands people mention in this topic I already knew, so this is going to be a tough question to answer :)

Because of GnR I started listening to:

- Izzy Stradlin solo albums

- Duff's Loaded

- Slash Snakepit

Because of this forum I checked out:

- Beth Hart (performed with Slash)

- Blind Melon (was mentioned several times)

- Mayfield Four (even though I already was an Alter Bridge fan)

- Nico Vega (Richard Fortus metioned them on myspace)

- Rocco Deluca And The Burden (performed with Slash)

- Tesla (was mentioned several times)

Bands I already liked a lot before I actually started listening to GnR were Aerosmith (my gf is a big fan), Alice In Chains, Incubus, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Papa Roach, Seether, Skid Row (only the old band), Stone Temple Pilots, Velver Revolver (yes, I've listened to STP and VR before actually getting into GnR :P ).

When I was younger (I'm 29 now) my taste of music was more alternative (grunge, punk rock and whatever created a lot of guitar noise and people screaming their lungs out.. think Payable On Death, Die Toten Hosen, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson). The last couple of years I got more into blues and blues rock (Clapton, Bonamassa, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Rolling Stones, etc). Getting older I guess :P

Oh and btw.. I started playing guitar at some point, probably because of the focus here on how the new guitarists in GnR played their solo's :) I was reading and hearing so much guitar I just had to start playing myself. Still suck at it after 2 years, but love it.

I can play the pink panther theme and an acoustic version of KOHD pretty well though!

Edited by Lethalis