Would Coma ever be / have been a good alternative set closer?

Screamin' Demon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh4NsIA3Dek

Give it your judgement. I'm kinda bored and enjoying listening to this live version. I always wondered what that would have been for Gn'R to have closed the set with this monster. Not gonna lie, I see way more talent in this than Paradise City. It has a totally different dynamic to it, like a clouded haze of anger thumping away and driving into uncertainty. It's definitely a killer of a song! If they EVER took Paradise City out to replace with something else, would this be the best choice?

Edited by Screamin Demon

I've always thought it would be a great opener had Jungle or ChiDem not existed. Imagine those heartbeats at the beginning - going from low to high volume and slow to faster, then the pyro at the last beat with fire going around the stage. Fucking epic.

Would Axl be able to sing it still?

I kinda wonder how Axl feels about the UYI material these days.

I mean yeah he commented on the drums, but that's about it--Not on the songs themself.

He did say he finds the UYI videos "cheesy" now, looking back. I just wonder how he feels, personally, or musically, about a song like Coma or Estranged--if he still is proud of them or stands by them artistically.

I'd love if he was to write like an essay--Sort of like he did on the break up--about his feelings on AFD and UYI. His perspective looking back. But that's also cause I love when Axl speaks his mind. His mind is just about as interesting as his music, and the two are very much connected anyay.

I gotta say, I hate the idea of a song meaning it's the end of the show. I have NEVER enjoyed Paradise City fully in all the shows I've attended this year, because I knew it meant one thing: show's over.

I think Paradise City is a great song, but it's not a good closer IMO. It's way too joyful for my taste. It's like Muse closing with Knights of Cydonia, I hate it.

I agree Coma would be the best GNR song to close a setlist. By FAR. Totally agreed. I'd love GNR to play Coma whatever its position in the setlist. But looking at how Axl struggles with TWAT live to the point he doesn't seem to want to try it again, I doubt there's any chance he'll try to sing Coma ever again.

After thinking about this for about an hour and a half.....

Wouldnt it be cool if he kinda put coma and estranged together?

In no way mixed the songs , but maybe took like 5 mins of each song and when coma goes silent break in with estranged.

Good F'N night

I think Paradise City is a great song, but it's not a good closer IMO. It's way too joyful for my taste. It's like Muse closing with Knights of Cydonia, I hate it.

I think the exact opposite, it's the perfect concert closer, one last shot of intense energy before it's time to go..end the show on a real high

I think the exact opposite, it's the perfect concert closer, one last shot of intense energy before it's time to go..end the show on a real high

I'd appreciate it more if they didn't always end the set on this song. I think Chinese Democracy works perfect as an opener every show, but Paradise City... no, at least no everytime. I'm more the type of guy who would appreciate This I Love as a closer.

Nighttrain would be a good closer. Song ends with a lot of guitar soloing and axl screaming

The studio version ends that way, but live, they repeat the intro so it's a bit underwhelming as the song is a lightning bolt, I understand that they had to find some way of closing the song live (as it's one of, if not the only GNR song that has no real ending and what's incredible is that it "ends" on a guitar solo) but I think it doesn't work live as a closer (but would be a great opener).

What concert is this version of coma from? Chicago 92

omaha - april 93

on topic: coma would be cool at any point of a concert. or maybe last one before the encore... !??!

Edited by neon

It would be a great closer for "hard core" fans. We would all love it. But when you consider that "hard core" fans make up at most 20-25% of your audience you would have a lot of ppl going WTF!!!! Paradise City on the other hand would be recognized by any nudnik that happend to be in attendance. It's a classic song with a ton of energy. It would be extremely cool if GNR or any other huge band did an internet poll and let the fans pick the setlist for one show. That would be very unique and would get the band a lot of good press.

It would be a great closer for "hard core" fans. We would all love it. But when you consider that "hard core" fans make up at most 20-25% of your audience you would have a lot of ppl going WTF!!!! Paradise City on the other hand would be recognized by any nudnik that happend to be in attendance. It's a classic song with a ton of energy. It would be extremely cool if GNR or any other huge band did an internet poll and let the fans pick the setlist for one show. That would be very unique and would get the band a lot of good press.

Absolute rubbish. I bet every person in the audience knows and has owned the Use Your Illusion albums. There seems to be a feeling that only "hardcore"fans have ever listened to UYI's and the "casual" (When you read casual it really means "not as good as me") only know the 3 biggies off of Appetite.

Seriously, in 2010 do you think people that go to a GNR show do so because they know Sweet Child O Mine. You can bet people who have put down 50 big ones for a ticket have purchased there fastest selling and most eagerly awaited albums.

I thought it was fantastic when they opened with Perfect Crime....

Damn I love that song...

I saw that live at Wembley Stadium in 91. you'd think they couldnt do it but it sounded better than the record, so loud, Axl was popping up all over the place then did the 12345678 above the drum riser. then it was over.