Piece of 'The Ballad Of Death'

slash_plocman

i'm sorry, but that music is terrible. i can't beleive people here jump on that bandwagon just because DJ plays in the band. i don't know what they're paying DJ, but IMO he needs to distance himself from that shit. sounds like bad light rock with The Edge U2 guitar riff in teh background... like some bad movie soundtrack from 1984.

interesting, it does sound a little like the Edge, I totally dig Ashba's playing on this, but as for the song, I think it fails to reach its potential (which is also true for the song 'Goodbye My Friend'), it has a nice build-up, nice melody, but it doesn't reach a culmination as do many of the songs on the Heroin Diaries soundtrack, but it's definitely not a bad song, I've heard that 'Skin' is the 'Life is Beautiful-type-a-hit' of the album, I think for the 3 songs I've heard off the new album, they all have the same problem, great guitar playing, I fuckin' love the singer's voice and Nikki writes thoughtful and simple, thus memorable, lyrics, but the songwriting is mediocre, the 3 parts don't seem to reach a consensus about the way the song should evolve and seem to be battling each other, the 3 songs haven't come together as well as the Heroin Diaries ST, anyhow that's my current opinion, I'm very excited to hear the rest

the intro made me sing.."where the streets have no name"... :thumbsdown:

Ha! But in U2s defense,they have released some killer albums :)

i love U2 ...i just expected ashba to write smth completely different than this "hi,i'm edge" intro

...but Slashs playing is too 80s and generic for being in NewGuns... yeah

I accepted that Axl needs a guitarplayer like Buckethead to realize his big vision, but I don't see the difference between Slash an Ashba? A record with Ashba will only throw Guns back two steps. The only thing I can do is hope that someday all the untouched material with Buckethead and Finck will surface... :shrugs:

but I don't see the difference between Slash an Ashba?

Not much difference except for the fact that Slash cant play solos like ITW and Sorry for example. Let's not forget DJ is also much cooler!

My point was not so much about who can better cover other people's songs, it was more about what we can expect from Ashba regarding a new record. All I heard from him (which is not that much to be fair) sounds much more dated than what Slash has done in the past (like Contraband which really had a fresh, modern rocksound).

My point is also not so much about Slash, it's just that I always had the hope that Axl could create something really crazy and different together with BH/Finck (which they actually did with songs like Shackler and Better, that was the sound of NewGuns, not the Blues or TIL). And I honestly can't see that happening with Ashba...

but I don't see the difference between Slash an Ashba?

Not much difference except for the fact that Slash cant play solos like ITW and Sorry for example. Let's not forget DJ is also much cooler!

lol what are you on. First of all, Ashba didn't even do the ITW solo when they played it live. Second, Slash could play it and the Sorry solo any day. Hell, I can play them and I've been playing for 2 years.

On topic, the song isn't too remarkable.