Best underrated GNR song

Dark_Eagle

Best nderrated GNR song   

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Bad Apples. Fuckin love that song, never see any love for it

Bad Apples is horrendously underrated, especially lyrically. It seems like an attack of as well as a celebration of the whole Hollywood dream thing, i think it's brilliant, like this sucks, it's a clusterfuck but i wouldn't have it any other way, it's thematically weird and like...celebratory when it shouldn't be, it makes for an interesting dichotomy. The references to like "i'm a frequent flyer" and "i got a house on the hill" and all this stuff, it's like wicked and sort of humourous too.

A lot of Guns songs are like that, celebratory but in a weird way, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Bad Apples, all this stuff it's like...i dunno, you love how fucked up a thing is or you're so fucked up that you like...fit this fucked up thing, i think it's great, it's one of the things that really sets Guns apart from a lot of other bands of their generation. It shows a lot of intelligence y'know? Guns could never make a song like Girls Girls Girls, they were too intelligent.

I love Axls kind of...all-knowing thing that he does, he sings a lot of songs from a perspective or being like...really wizened and seasoned and always has done, even since he was young, Bad Apples is like that too, it's sort of a knowing song and touches on quite a few bases, it's kind of funny in one way, it's sort of a critique of society in another way and it's like, celebrating the whole fucked up-ed-ness and wallowing in it in another way. But i do love that, when he does that, that all knowing wise and wizened thing. And the cute thing about it is that, he never COMPLETELY turns into Alice Cooper with it, he generally like, ends up putting a spin on it. Like My Michelle, pretty cruel song and it has that sort of unforgiving been there done it all tone to it but he turns it around with like everyone is loved, you know that it's true. Rocket Queen too, which again has that kind of you-can't-fuck-with-me thing to it and by the end he's like all i ever wanted was for you to know that i care. Shows heart. Guns always had heart i guess. Fighting heart. It's quite telling also that the songs of Axls youth were very much sort of, y'know, the response to heartbreak was always like pick myself up, dust myself off and get on with the rest of my life-ish whereas now they kinda like...are stunted by heartbreak, like TWAT or Sorry or This I Love, they're more victim-ish, Axl was never really like that, well he was and he wasn't by the end of the tale it was always like oh well, tommorows another day.

ANYWAY, massive fucking tangent, Bad Apples has a lot of the key thematic ingridients i think that make Guns an enduring band, it has dimension y'know? It's not just one sided.

Edited by sugaraylen

I always saw Guns as the answer to 80's hair bands such as Motley Crue and Bon Jovi that embraced the party scene and the radio friendly stuff. They invaded that whole scene with pure rock and roll fused with punk and metal. They brought back the ugliness reminiscent of the Rolling Stones and they are tender, it is inspiring. Axl's take on love songs puts to shame all the cheesy power ballads. They would have revived Rock and Roll if it weren't for the plague of Grunge. Grunge itself wasn't meant to be a plague. Only when the record companies embraced it and played them all over the radio instead of hair metal. Guns didn't even attempt to repeat AFD they evolved into something bigger and better with UYI, unfortunately it was too big of a leap for the others. Now that the record company has too much control over music nowadays it is impossible for another band like Guns N' Roses to invade the music scene. They even have a hold on the indie scene though most of those hipster fucktards don't even know it. Many of those bands good and bad don't even make it mainstream and that's how they are controlled. They go unheard which is what they want. If its unheard they will never break out.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...