My first Kiss concert Apr. 1976

Zint

Well fuck me and holy shit!..I recently discovered footage of my first Kiss concert on Youtube.

I must say I'm blown away!!

I was down front for the entire show,about 10 rows back on Gene's side.

This gig happened before the cartoony-image started to take over...it was a rowdy event.

People got tired of waiting outside,the line up started early afternoon and there was a LOT of partying going on in the line.

Someone smashed out a front door to the arena and people started rushing through the door.

There was a canopy overhead and people started smashing out the lights with beer bottles...there was a big crush.

Scary,yet exciting...I squeezed my way through the smashed door and ran for the stage.

The cops were absolutely terrified...they just stood back and watched the mayhem.

Amazing night..I'll never forget it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TnpnifrRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGz3rCEg1xg&feature=related

Incredible man, they really were a dark band in the early days, like you said before the cartoonish feel started. I wasn't even born yet, so all i have to see the old days are youtube and the KISSology's etc, but it's an entire different vibe that you can feel even through that.

Also, that's pretty rad you saw them in the DTK/alive costumes. I think about half way through the year they switched to the destroyer ones.

KISS and largely Ace Frehley is what got me in to rock music in the first place when I was 13.

Did Rush open for them?

No,it was a band called Hammersmith...(from Vancouver I think).

Forgettable...but they had the first six string bass I'd ever seen or heard,guy did a pretty good solo on it.

Thoroughly enjoyed your recollections and the videos! Although I never saw Kiss, I went to lots of great concerts in that same time period and had similar experiences getting crushed in line. Unfortunately, my memories are all a bit hazy, lol.

You have to remember that NY rock in the late 60s-early 70s was the epicenter of music talent at the time. KISS had to set themselves apart from every Long Island bar band in the early 70s. If they relied on their music alone, they would've been an above average bar band that sounded like everyone else. But when they got into the makeup, had most of the first album worked out, and did their showcases for record companies, it got the attention they needed, and the label did a great job at marketing them. Their studio albums didn't exactly fly off the shelves, but they had a growing audience who thought they looked fucking cool, men wanted to be them, women wanted to be with them.

I know Wenner dislikes KISS because of the stuff Simmons said, but in terms of influence, they're pretty high on influences in rock. To me, if a band causes someone to buy a music instrument and they go on to make a living from it, that's a pretty big influence on someone's life.

You have to remember that NY rock in the late 60s-early 70s was the epicenter of music talent at the time. KISS had to set themselves apart from every Long Island bar band in the early 70s. If they relied on their music alone, they would've been an above average bar band that sounded like everyone else. But when they got into the makeup, had most of the first album worked out, and did their showcases for record companies, it got the attention they needed, and the label did a great job at marketing them. Their studio albums didn't exactly fly off the shelves, but they had a growing audience who thought they looked fucking cool, men wanted to be them, women wanted to be with them.

I know Wenner dislikes KISS because of the stuff Simmons said, but in terms of influence, they're pretty high on influences in rock. To me, if a band causes someone to buy a music instrument and they go on to make a living from it, that's a pretty big influence on someone's life.

ok