Possible story behind 'Look at Your Game, Girl'

ppruks

When I first heard that song on Spaghetti, I was pretty confused about the origin of this song, and probably a lot of you have felt the same thing. Lately I've been really into reading biographies, finished a bunch of books on Morrison and the Doors and couple of days ago finished Marilyn Manson's 'The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell'...smth. that I would highly recommend reading, full-on debauchery, great rock n' roll stories and the man is quite the character, a true artist, and has an interesting look on life...being a huge NIN fan and having just gotten into Manson, it was a great read...

in that book, on page 148. there's a bunch of stuff about Guns and Axl, I decided that I should share it with y'all, it's taken from an interview

Why do you think it's become so trendy for musicians to make references to Charles Manson in their music?

That pisses me off. Axl Rose was in a hellstorm because he recorded a Manson song, and I'll tell you how he got the idea in a minute. Meanwhile Trent was living at the Sharon Tate house, so I end ip looking like I'm this Marilyn Manson guy that's riding Trent Reznor's wagon, which is kind of funny. But I never get a chip on my shoulder. I never minded because otherwise I would never have gotten to record there and get freaked out by the ghosts there.

That's a good attitude. Why don't you do another line? (the magazine actually bought coke for him to snort during the interview! lolz)

Okay, but this is the last one (suckins sounds). So what happened with Guns N' Roses was that Trent took me to a U2 concert one night and backstage I met Axl Rose. He was very neurotic and was telling me all about his psychological problems, his split personalities, and I felt like 'This guy's a total fucking flake.' Being the overzealous type, I started telling him about my band anyway. And I said 'You know we do this song 'My Monkey' and it's an adaption of a Charles Manson song off his album Lie.'

And he's like 'I never heard of that before'. I told him 'You should check out the album, it's cool' And lo and behold six months later Guns N' Roses put out The Sphaghetti Incident and Axl Rose covers 'Look at Your Game, Girl' from the Lie album.

The he started getting all that heat from Sharon Tate's sister and everybody. When out album was finished after that, we had the song 'My Monkey' on it but I had this five-year-old kid Robert Pierce sing on it. That was the great irony: Here's a kid that's singing a song that to him is an innocuous nursery rhyme but to everybody else is this horrible thing.

After we turned the album in, I got this call from Trent and John Malm, who's Trent's manager and runs Nothing Records. And they're like 'Listen, are you willing to put out your album without the song 'My Monkey' on it?

I asked 'Why?'

And they said 'Well, Interscope is having problems because the shit that Axl Rose has got. He's had to donate the proceeds of the song to the victims' families.

I said 'Well, I don't have a problem with that. Just explain to me what's going to happen. In the end, Interscope insisted that we take the song off. I said 'No'. So they told us they weren't going to put the album out.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Shows us exactly what state of mind Axl was in back in those days. He was a real mess. I would be the same if all the people around me were fuckin' up everything i've worked for the past 7-8 years or so.

:lol: the great lessons Axl Rose teaches his fanboys, "blame everybody else"

on topic: was this before or after the Manson faced T shirts?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Shows us exactly what state of mind Axl was in back in those days. He was a real mess. I would be the same if all the people around me were fuckin' up everything i've worked for the past 7-8 years or so.

I'm quite sure there are ghosts and presences in the residence on Cielo Dr.

The original saying "Charlie don't surf" came from Apocalypse Now,the Air Cav. Colonel said it after clearing a village so they could surf the beach. I don't know if I would categorize someone as a psycho-basket after a short conversation,some people are simply different from the accepted norm,and are perceived as such.Maybe he was having a bad day?

Slash grew up around the same area where the killings happened.

That Manson "Lie" album/CD started making the rounds in the 1980s, Howard Stern used to play the songs off of it.

Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys and producer Terry Melcher fucked Manson over by reworking one of his songs and not giving him credit.

They never should've done this song on a TV show.

Reznor supposedly recorded "Closer" with a leased Mellotron John Lennon used on "Strawberry Fields Forever".

The original saying "Charlie don't surf" came from Apocalypse Now,the Air Cav. Colonel said it after clearing a village so they could surf the beach. I don't know if I would categorize someone as a psycho-basket after a short conversation,some people are simply different from the accepted norm,and are perceived as such.Maybe he was having a bad day?

wat. "Charlie Don't Surf" refers to "charlie" as in the code name for Vietcong

Yes,that's what I just said,the line "Charlie Don't Surf" was originally issued in Apocalypse Now,but someone had the bright idea of putting Mason's picture with that phrase and probably made a fortune.FYI you can still get them online.

Yes,that's what I just said,the line "Charlie Don't Surf" was originally issued in Apocalypse Now,but someone had the bright idea of putting Mason's picture with that phrase and probably made a fortune.FYI you can still get them online.

ohhhhhh i gotcha I completely forgot that saying was on that shirt, my bad :lol:

ohhhhhh i gotcha I completely forgot that saying was on that shirt, my bad :lol:

No prob,its all good :)

The house was sold to new owners after Reznor was done recording there, they tore it down in the mid 90s and changed the address number. I'm sure Axl got to see the house before they ripped it down.

Someone managed to get on the property in the early 90s and videotape it. It looks like it was someone Reznor's people were cool with. As you can see, it's not the type of house a big name director would be living in today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AavS-iW6kz0

This is what it now looks like:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8222572

The house was sold to new owners after Reznor was done recording there, they tore it down in the mid 90s and changed the address number. I'm sure Axl got to see the house before they ripped it down.

Someone managed to get on the property in the early 90s and videotape it. It looks like it was someone Reznor's people were cool with. As you can see, it's not the type of house a big name director would be living in today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AavS-iW6kz0

This is what it now looks like:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8222572

Actually a lot of people saw the house before it was torn down,although it did have a security gate.Didn't Roman and Sharon lease the house as opposed to owning it? They did tear it down,and erected a much nicer house but you can't change the history of what happened on the property.

sailaway, i'm talking about "Spaghetti". in my opinion the "Incident" was a mistake.

Granted,it is Guns' weakest album,but there were some good tracks on it,like "down on the farm","Since I don't have you",and the "hidden track". Also "Ain't it fun" and "hair of the dog" kicked ass!

Edited by sailaway

Didn't Axl's brother's band or something like that...play this song (look at your game girl) and that's how he heard of it and led to covering it?

No source or anything, but seem to remember reading someone close to Axl used to cover it, and that's how he was introduced to the song.

Didn't Axl's brother's band or something like that...play this song (look at your game girl) and that's how he heard of it and led to covering it?

No source or anything, but seem to remember reading someone close to Axl used to cover it, and that's how he was introduced to the song.

I think I read before that there was a game Axl and friends used to play where by they'd put on a rare song and the others would try and guess the artist. One day Axl's bro put on Look at your game girl, Axl heard the song and not knowing who it was...... loved it.

He was very neurotic and was telling me all about his psychological problems, his split personalities, and I felt like 'This guy's a total fucking flake.'

What a fucking moron, spilling private conversations like that to the public. The guy was nice enough to speak openly about his psychology, and you share it with the whole world.

You are a disgusting piece of shit.

First, you've seen how well he's done without Oscar & Grammy winning Trent Reznor producing and letting good band members go.

Second, he was just observing someone that he met once in his life, over 20 years ago. It wasn't like they were close friends.

i was thinking just today why did Axl put a Manson song on his album, I know the explanation was that it was like really unknown and that kind of fit the Spaghetti incident style but also said that Axl felt a million miles away from someone like Manson. so that makes sense in a weird way. He wasn't fascinated with Manson, just was directed to his album by the God of Fuck, who listens to guys with nicknames like that. hey meet the god of fuck, listen carfeully cos he knows.