CD Studio vs. Live

Yesterdays-Civil-War

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw this post in a recent thread...

I think the best thing for GNR to do now is record a live album/DVD, or throw one together using what was recorded in 09-10.

The Chinese Democracy tracks are all wayyyyyy better live than they are on the album.

It made me wonder what y'alls opinion were on which versions of songs off of CD were better, the studio recorded or live versions.

Personally, I don't think Axl has perfected a single song live off of CD. (Like he has with other songs/albums anyway)

I don't think he will ever be able to because CD was such a studio album, such a highly mixed and edited album.

His voice changes a lot in live performances and gets very out of key, Street of Dreams and Prostitute are good examples of this. I haven't liked the beginning of one live rendition of Street of Dreams. (By beginning I mean "All the love in the world couldn't save you, all the innocence inside, you know I tried so hard to make you, to make you change your mind") Although to his credit, a lot of performances of Street of Dreams/The Blues are really good, as soon as that beginning part is out of the way.

His voice is awful when he is doing Prostitute live, and TWAT isn't all that pretty either.

Scraped, Shackler's Revenge and Riad really are more studio songs, very hard to get those sounding all that good live. For that reason I definitely prefer the album versions over the live versions.

If the World, Sorry, I.R.S., and Catcher in the Rye sound alright, not fantastic, not horrible, but I still prefer the album versions.

Chinese Democracy, Better, This I Love and Madagascar on the other hand, sound fantastic live. While some versions are better than others, I definitely find myself listening to live versions of these songs more than any other song off of CD because they sound so good.

Anyway, enough of my ranting, these are just my thoughts. I'd be interested in hearing y'alls.

Some are really cool live, some are okay, one sucks.

Cool:

• Chinese Democracy
  • Shackler's Revenge
  • Scraped - Much better than album version
  • If The World
  • Madagascar
  • Better - Only bad thing is when Axl's out of breath

Okay:

• Street Of Dreams
  • Sorry
  • This I Love
  • Catcher In The Rye
  • IRS

Suck:

• Prostitute - A shame...one of the best in the album...

There Was A Time is AMAZING, even with Axl's voice problems during this one... I dream of seeing it live!

But CD is and always will be a studio album, unlike the other GnR records.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

The problem is that he can't pull off the very best songs on CD live. TWAT and Prostitute would be played every night if Axl could perform them properly. Can you imagine if on the Illusions tour they didn't play November Rain and You Could Be Mine every night?

Edited by ITW 2012

Live for the most part :

-CD

-Shackler's

-Sorry

-Madagascar

-Better

-TIL

-SOD

All of them were so much better live...I usually am not very fond of Sorry and TIL but they sound very heavy live, unlike the boring versions of the album.

I'm aware of Prostitute though lol Hope they never try it again...

I prefer them all live (Maybe not Prostitute) because they have a bit more weight n' sound to them but it may not be a fair question, takin' into consideration that the musicians playin' the songs now (DJ Ashba, Bumblefoot, Frank) sound a lot more hard rock than the guys that had for the most part or all, been on the album. If the same guys that play now had been on the album, it woulda likely sounded better in studio but then again, I think they'd make totally different songs.

The problem is that he can't pull off the very best songs on CD live. TWAT and Prostitute would be played every night if Axl could perform them properly. Can you imagine if on the Illusions tour they didn't play November Rain and You Could Be Mine every night?

They pull of This I Love much better than the album version, and I consider that the November Rain of Chinese Democracy. I do think TWAT is the best song on CD, but it a very difficult vocal song it seems. I wonder if he could have pulled it off later in the tour when he was in top form. Also, the acoustic live version of Catcher in the Rye is the best version of it by far IMO.

I also think comparing TWAT to something like COMA that was very tough vocally would be a bit more accurate. They rarely ever played it live because it seemed far too difficult.

Edited by DocBrown

He has improved live these songs:

Shackler's Revenge

This I Love

Catcher in the Rye

Sorry

Anyway it depends on the song and the night.

About Prostitute, the band was tight it's just Axl that had a hard time....ear piece problems?

I actually thought the guitars were kinda sucky in the beggining....

He has improved live these songs:

Shackler's Revenge

This I Love

Catcher in the Rye

Sorry

Anyway it depends on the song and the night.

About Prostitute, the band was tight it's just Axl that had a hard time....ear piece problems?

I actually thought the guitars were kinda sucky in the beggining....

Which show? Didn't they play it 3 times?

In Osaka... one is pretty fine, the other's kinda fucked up tho

Guest Len B'stard

Fair dues though it'd be a bit of a fuckin pain in the arse doing that ending bit to TWAT every fuckin night, "I WOULD DO ANNNNNNNNNYTHIIIIIIIIIIIING FOR YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOULD DO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNYTH..." uh, etc :lol: