~What is your favorite moment in GN'R history?~

gunsguy

Guest Len B'stard

i dunno, the only people i hold in higher regard than Slash are dead :lol: Like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain or Marlon Brando or William S Burroughs, Dee Dee Ramone.

Please never compare him to those legends....that's like bitch slapping jimi in the face for no reason

Whether you like Slash personally or not you can't sit there and deny he's carved a place for himself in the history of rock n roll guitar, just as Jimi did. On the same scale? No but it is what it is. For better or worse, Johnny Ramone, Eddie Van Halen, Johnny Thunders, Chuck Berry, Kurt Cobain, Steve Vai are all comparable to Hendrix, for the simple reason that they are iconic guitar players in rock n roll. Trust me, no one rates Hendrix higher than i do but facts are facts.

All those musicians are innovators and are held in high regard for a reason. Without them there would be no "Slash" as his followers like to call him. Before anyone jumps on me for my comments, I don't even think the current GNR guitarists are legendary as amazing and talented as they are.

What innovations did Johnny Thunders do? Or Kurt Cobain? or Johnny Ramone? I think you misunderstand the concept of legendary, it ain't exclusive to innovation. In fact, it doesn't have to have anything to do with innovation. It's pretty much to do with carving an idelible identity of onesself in the sphere of whatever given culture. John Wayne's a legend, what innovation did he bring to cinema?

We had a quick chat about the gig and i said i like the fact you are playing songs from GNR's past for the fans. He thanked me for my comments and was also shocked i knew his real name.

He signed my ticket but i coulden't get a picture with him. He's real down to earth. Just awesome to meet him again.

He said he was shocked you knew his name?!?! :lol: Shit Saul, i know your mum and dads and brothers name...and i know the names of lots of your parents old friends...and your old friends, i could shock the hell out of Slash. What did he say, like exactly, like, "wow, how'd you know my name" or...? (sorry, i'm being obssessive a bit but this is interesting, it's not often you talk to someone who has met someone you idolise!)

Edited by sugaraylen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was:

Me: Great Gig this evening Saul. Loved it

Slash: Thanks man, and did you just call me Saul?

Me: Yeah....

Slash: i'm suprised you knew it

Me: Yeah i'm a massive fan and have been since you was in GNR. I think it's great your playing GNR songs as it's what the fans like to hear. And they sound great just like the new stuff

Slash: Thanks man, always great to meet the fans

Summut like that. I was just in extacy as he is my idol. And it was the second time i met him so can't remember it all

it was:

Me: Great Gig this evening Saul. Loved it

Slash: Thanks man, and did you just call me Saul?

Me: Yeah....

Slash: i'm suprised you knew it

Me: Yeah i'm a massive fan and have been since you was in GNR. I think it's great your playing GNR songs as it's what the fans like to hear. And they sound great just like the new stuff

Slash: Thanks man, always great to meet the fans

Summut like that. I was just in extacy as he is my idol. And it was the second time i met him so can't remember it all

that's awesome, i would probably be completely starstruck and not be able to speak at all :)

Meeting Duff in 2008 before a Velvet Revolver show and thinking 'shit, this is really Duff, the guy who wrote those amazing songs, the guy who I'd watched hundreds of times onstage at Paris, Wembley, The Ritz et al on youtube; and here he was right in front of me'.

Special mention has to go out to seeing GN'R in '06, seeing Axl onstage infront of me and just the sheer sweaty insanity of their live show, the band and Axl were just ripping it out there every single fucking night and I got to take a little piece of that for myself, to cherish for the rest of my life. Izzy joining them onstage just made it all the sweeter. :D

For me definitely seeing them live. In 06 I was just starting to really get into them, and when jungle started and Axl was suddenly center stage screaming was crazy. I was 16 and was like, "oh my god!"

Then seeing them again in 2010. At this time I was in full fledge die hard mode, so to be 10 feet from the stage was better than Christmas morning as a 5 year old.

Music wise, hearing this I love for the first time. We'd all heard of that song, and to finally hear it was awesome to me.

Guest gunns5

Sydney 2010 i loved the whole night plus big crowd B)

+1

met the band , the band were on fire, great atmosphere , it would be hard to top if they ever came back :)

Meeting Duff in 2008 before a Velvet Revolver show and thinking 'shit, this is really Duff, the guy who wrote those amazing songs, the guy who I'd watched hundreds of times onstage at Paris, Wembley, The Ritz et al on youtube; and here he was right in front of me'.

Special mention has to go out to seeing GN'R in '06, seeing Axl onstage infront of me and just the sheer sweaty insanity of their live show, the band and Axl were just ripping it out there every single fucking night and I got to take a little piece of that for myself, to cherish for the rest of my life. Izzy joining them onstage just made it all the sweeter. :D

See i would love to meet Duff. Just hands down the best gunner during the tours

Guest siliconmessiah

Best moment: The comeback of 2001 - especially the Rock In Rio gig. Also, the MTV VMA:s!

Worst moment: How shitty it all played out 2001-2011 with the silence, no new music, an everlasting AFD/CD tour and constant replacing of band members.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Guest gunns5

"What the fuck do you know? That's right!...."

that was awesome.

okay, seriously, the gig in vienna rock3

Lol that Madison rant was funny

Not as epic as many of the responses here but seeing how I've never been to a concert (as of now) I will have to go with the day I bought their Greatest Hits. I was 16 at the time so I wasn't aware of the band's distaste of it but to me it was a perfect introduction to one of my favorite ever rock bands. I soon realized the CD didn't do the band justice so I went out to get their other stuff.

i dunno, the only people i hold in higher regard than Slash are dead :lol: Like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain or Marlon Brando or William S Burroughs, Dee Dee Ramone.

Please never compare him to those legends....that's like bitch slapping jimi in the face for no reason

Whether you like Slash personally or not you can't sit there and deny he's carved a place for himself in the history of rock n roll guitar, just as Jimi did. On the same scale? No but it is what it is. For better or worse, Johnny Ramone, Eddie Van Halen, Johnny Thunders, Chuck Berry, Kurt Cobain, Steve Vai are all comparable to Hendrix, for the simple reason that they are iconic guitar players in rock n roll. Trust me, no one rates Hendrix higher than i do but facts are facts.

All those musicians are innovators and are held in high regard for a reason. Without them there would be no "Slash" as his followers like to call him. Before anyone jumps on me for my comments, I don't even think the current GNR guitarists are legendary as amazing and talented as they are.

look Slash is amazing,but if Slash is the Titanic then Jimi Hendrix is Antartica.