Axl's greatest vocal performances

Georgy Zhukov

What do you think was some of Axl's greatest vocal performances? Live and in the studio.

For me in the studio it's

Street of Dreams

Estranged

Coma

Catcher in the Rye

Welcome to the Jungle

There Was a Time

November Rain

Sweet Child o'Mine

Don't Cry (original)

You're Crazy (acoustic) [Edited]

As for Live he's been really awesome during the recent tour. I've seen clips from '93 and he sounded awful.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I really love You're Crazy on Lies. I've heard he hated the way he sounds on the track, but it's one of my favorites from him.

Shit I forgot about that! "YOU'RE FUCKING CRAZAAAAAAAAY AH AH AH AH!"

Rihanna must have listened to that song.

Guest siliconmessiah

As for Live he's been really awesome during the recent tour. I've seen clips from '93 and he sounded awful.

The vocals have been great throughout 2006-2010.

They were actually good in 2002 too, but he chose a different way of singing then, more high pitched & clear.

Sometimes on the latest tour though, you could hear him struggling for the higher notes (like the end of Street of Dreams). But what the hell, he´s pushing 50, so let´s cut him some slack! The power is there still though, just take a look at Shackler´s! :thumbsup:

(don´t mind the top-hatted emo douche playing guitar, his contribution to the song live is minimal - and he didn´t have any input on this song on the record either)

Edited by siliconmessiah

Guest Len B'stard

I really love You're Crazy on Lies. I've heard he hated the way he sounds on the track, but it's one of my favorites from him.

Shit I forgot about that! "YOU'RE FUCKING CRAZAAAAAAAAY AH AH AH AH!"

Rihanna must have listened to that song.

Either that or Whole Lotta Love by Zed Leppelin.

Favorite or best? I don't know about best, but this is my favorite performance to watch.

Skip to 5:30. You can't top this. I even signed back onto this to reply.

His finest vocal moments are in Street Of Dreams, Rocket Queen, There Was A Time, Sweet Child, Prostitute, Coma,

IRS, Better, If The World, You Could Be Mine and Paradise City, I reckon. Although not a technical masterpiece, Axl's vocals on Estranged are also really beautiful. I also think Nightrain is vocally underrated.

My absolute favorite vocal moment of his is probably the ending of Rocket Queen, though. Or the ending to TWAT.

(don´t mind the top-hatted emo douche playing guitar, his contribution to the song live is minimal - and he didn´t have any input on this song on the record either)

Chill out dude, dont be disrespectful with band members, even if u dont like how they dress.

all i can say this, after 3hs of show and so on... he sounds even better than the Liens version (at least for me) one of the best performances by Axl n the guys in the last years...

Edited by AGS

Wasn't a fan of Nightrain in my earlier years as a GN'R fan. Then I got my hands on a bootleg of the Rock AM concert.

Some of the old Nightrains were fuckin powerful, Axl was on the money a lot in 92....

Check this 2m 25secs onwards (not great footage, but Axl rocked this concert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzkrfzOKVY

LA

Edited by LA_0013

THIS, is easily Axl's best vocal performance. If you haven't heard it, listen to it right through. Raw, emotional, and more epic than anything that has been produced in years of studio time

4m0s - 4m34s rock3

LA

Edited by LA_0013

Wasn't a fan of Nightrain in my earlier years as a GN'R fan. Then I got my hands on a bootleg of the Rock AM concert.

Some of the old Nightrains were fuckin powerful, Axl was on the money a lot in 92....

Check this 2m 25secs onwards (not great footage, but Axl rocked this concert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzkrfzOKVY

LA

That is pretty good, him at his best.

One of the highlights from 02.

The whole show from L.A. in 06' was one of the best Axl vocal performances ever! Every song from the setlist is sang near perfection, and the band was on fire that night.

As far as being in the studio goes, I definitely think TWAT and Prostitute are the best vocal moments of CD. Going back a little further, I find Coma and Estranged very impressive, and how about some love for Garden of Eden?!

Also, Oh My God is a vocal masterpiece.

THIS, is easily Axl's best vocal performance. If you haven't heard it, listen to it right through. Raw, emotional, and more epic than anything that has been produced in years of studio time

4m0s - 4m34s rock3

LA

Every time I see or hear Don't Cry Pre Illusions, all I can think of is The 87(or is it 86?) demo of the song I have as a bonus 13th track on appetite. Apparently this demo was released on the single of Don't cry along with the Alt. lyric version. Anyway I love any version of the song really, but when it comes down to the best version, I have to say it's that pre-Illusion demo they recorded around this time. God I love Don't Cry after Rocket Queen, it works so well. So I agree with you, just i say the demo deserves the spot.

I agree with so many others, he was at his absolute best on the acoustic part of Lies. But seriously, what happened to his voice between 89 and 91? At the AMA's in 1989 he had this wonderful deep rasp in the end of Patience, and that might have been one of the last times that was heard. Pick a live performance of Patience from 1991 onwards and he switches to "dying cat" for the last part instead. It is if he couldn't do it anymore and as far as I am aware he never got it back.

Edited by Changes