What will the reaction be to a new album

spunko12345

Its safe to say that any new album is not being waited for with fevered anticipation by anyone except existing fans. Even Chinese Democracy was four or five years passed the peak of the industry anticipation.

What kind of reaction will a new album get from the rest of the world. I'd like to say that it all rests on the quality of the songs but that's not true. If Axl does another bizarre press blackout, I cant see any major publications bothering to push the new album.

Obviously places like Brazil and Australia will go nuts for it but i'm talking about places where the people are pretty normal.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered about how the next album will do on a wide-scale basis. Even with Axl's disappearing act, and the lack of support from the label, Chinese Democracy still sold farely well because it was, well, Chinese Democracy, one of the most anticipated rock albums of all time.

Now that people know what NuGNR sounds like and the hype and curiousity has passed, if another release is executed the same way, it could do a lot worse than CD did.

But who knows? Maybe that's why Axl hasn't put out the second album yet, and they're currently crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's, making sure everything is in place marketing-wise this time.

Really, only Axl maybe a few suits at the label knows for sure. :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

Obviously places like Brazil and Australia will go nuts for it but i'm talking about places where the people are pretty normal.

So Australia and Brazil aren't quote unquote normal? You're a dipshit. Perhaps you should get out more.

It depends if it is a good album or not

Do you hear any good music on today's radio?

I believe it depends 90% on if it is a well-promoted album or not.

I do hear good music on the radio. You must not be listening to the right stations :xmassrudolph:

Granted the pop and alt rock radio stations have never been my cup of tea so I don't listen to those stations

Edited by WhazUp

I know, I know, I'm a broken record, but I have a gut feeling that the band is planning to shock fans at rio with a couple new songs. If not, what's the point other than a cash n grab? Not trying to sound like a dick, but...

I agree that this long tour is getting a little ridiculous, and that GnR fans would much rather have a new album than another tour.

And if I was running the show and the band was going to do some shows - I would have them play a couple new songs. Though the problem is that it would never be enough. If they play 2 new songs, people will complain they should have played 4. If they play 3 new songs, people will say it should have been five.

I would even be happy if they debuted one or two new songs and then did a quick medley (VMA style) and played a medley of 3-4 songs. Just 20 seconds of each one, ala what we've heard of Checkmate. Just to give the fans an idea of what they are working on. A little taste of what we can except.

The reason the axl die-hards get mad at the "cash grab" comments is that it is used as an insult. Slash tours because he loves to play music. Axl tours and it is a cash grab. See how that works?

And in reality, are these guys that hard up for money? Would "cash" be the only thing that would get Axl out of his house and onto the stage? I just find it hard to believe that Axl (with an estimated worth of over 100 million dollars) would pick up a phone call and say "Oh, sure, I need to make another 500,000. I will get the band together and fly to Argentina."

We don't really know why they are doing all the touring. Maybe they are musicians who love playing live shows? Isn't that what most musicians love to do? Play live shows in front of thousands of people?

So you hear Rio and a few overseas shows and think "Cash grab" whereas I heard Rio and overseas and think the band just wants to play live!

AS FOR THE ORIGINAL TOPIC

As long as it isn't the original band, the world's reaction won't be like it was back in the late 80's and early 90's.

They will just be considered a good rock band, with an iconic singer.

Think of the bands that ruled the world in the late 80s and early 90s, How many of them are still as popular today? I can remember times where Van Halen and Def Leppard ruled the rock world. Billy Joel and Elton John would sell out every where and sell multi-millions. Paul McMartney could sell out 50,000 seat stadiums and charge hundreds of dollars per ticket. TOday???? Def Leppard are touring with Brian Adams. Heck, even the legendary Slash put out a solo album featuring several high ranking singers - and that didn't exactly set the music world on fire.

I think the new album will sell just about the same as the last album. Maybe a little more if they do some publicity shows (VMAs, American Music Awards, Letterman, etc) and put out a couple videos. If not, I bet it sells 500,000 to a million in the US and 4-5 million worldwide. Which is not too shabby.

I agree that this long tour is getting a little ridiculous, and that GnR fans would much rather have a new album than another tour.

Ditto. Of course I'll go see them if they come to Chicago, but I'd much rather hear the second half of the opus. I don't see why the two couldn't go hand in hand, meaning a states tour and new album this fall, but lately Axl can't seem to divide his attention and do both. We saw that he couldn't put out/finish an album while touring in 2006, so I don't see what would change that now.

Edited by sofine11

I know, I know, I'm a broken record, but I have a gut feeling that the band is planning to shock fans at rio with a couple new songs. If not, what's the point other than a cash n grab? Not trying to sound like a dick, but...

I agree with you.

They toured South America last year as part of the Chinese Democracy tour. I have my doubts they will continue that this time around. One clue is the lack of the "Chinese Democracy" name in the promotion of the shows. Neither the tickets, posters or tv commercials have any mention of the album name. I take that as a good sign, although I'm a big fan of the album.

Another clue might be the rumblings of a US tour. The album did poor in the US, and I can't see any point in touring the album now, three years later.

I think we might hear something new during the string of Latin American concerts coming up now, and then, between that and an upcoming US tour we'll get to hear some studio material. An album, EP or a single leading up to an album released during the US leg.

The only thing leaning against that is the lack of info about it from the GN'R camp. We know they've been working on songs and there are already songs done, but no mention of an album title or release date. Personally I think Axl ain't talking about it for a reason. Chinese Democracy was pretty much a nightmare for him, and I doubt he wants that same experience to repeat itself. Imagine him saying there will be a new album this year, and then for some reason nothing happens. I agree we could get some updates on the writing progress without giving out any vital info, but to me it seems like the band are running a tight ship this time around, and it might also be to avoid leaks.

Edited by spirit83

As far as playing new songs at the upcoming shows goes, wouldn't they have to rehearse them together to pull that off? Any news as far as the band getting together before the shows to do that yet?

I think Bumblefoot mentioned something about it, but can't remember where exactly.

Still 5 weeks till RIR.

Its safe to say that any new album is not being waited for with fevered anticipation by anyone except existing fans. Even Chinese Democracy was four or five years passed the peak of the industry anticipation.

What kind of reaction will a new album get from the rest of the world. I'd like to say that it all rests on the quality of the songs but that's not true. If Axl does another bizarre press blackout, I cant see any major publications bothering to push the new album.

If he doesn't promote it, it will do piss poor at best.

Obviously places like USA will not go nuts for it but i'm talking about places where the people are pretty normal.

I fixed it for you.

Also, it would depend on the album itself, including music, booklet, and whatever else they may put out, and a lot of unpredictable things. For example, people's view can change or get biased at the very beginning if the information about the album itself is passed to them by biased people (including media).

Edited by Rafał

I remember back in 2004 my friend said to me if he saw anyone come to school with a Chinese Democracy CD he will kick their asses. Lucky for me I outweigh by now.

My point is, that there will be a lot of hate for the next album if there ever is going to be one. Old GN'R fanatics will find an excuse not to like the album just because the top hat man is not on it.

Edited by BirdCatcher

As far as playing new songs at the upcoming shows goes, wouldn't they have to rehearse them together to pull that off? Any news as far as the band getting together before the shows to do that yet?

I think Bumblefoot mentioned something about it, but can't remember where exactly.

Still 5 weeks till RIR.

I can't wait.

spunko12345, people from brazil aren't normal for you?

fuck you! suck my fuckin dick.

Well, they aren't. Brazil is a fucked up place.

However, that's not what he meant. He meant not normal in regards to their appetite for gnr.

fucked up? our economy is going very well, for your information. either way you think about our country does not matter. see ya.

spunko12345, people from brazil aren't normal for you?

fuck you! suck my fuckin dick.

Well, they aren't. Brazil is a fucked up place.

However, that's not what he meant. He meant not normal in regards to their appetite for gnr.

fucked up? our economy is going very well, for your information. either way you think about our country does not matter. see ya.

Brazil is on the list of rising superpowers. It's one of the most stabled governments in Latin America. There are poverty stricken areas but no different from the slums of Chicago but for the most part people there live well, eat better and have long healthy lives. The only problem is that because of the warm weather, people wear less clothes year round so they think they have to look good all the time. Some do it the healthy way, eat well, exercise and what not, some don't do it the healthy way and many put themselves in poverty to have plastic surgery. I wouldn't call it a fucked up country at all though. The aura of the place is to be happy and have a good time. Perfect place for rock and roll festivals.