If Axl has a hit in the bag, now is the time to release it

burden

If Axl has a song that is a guaranteed hit then now is the time to release it. With the GnR catalog a big hit will easily carry the tour. If there is no hit then I am at least hoping for a more balanced set-list with a lot more of the UYI albums added to the set-list. Personally I would love to see the usual suspects added to the set-list (i.e. Estranged, Civil War, Don't Cry) with a some dropped for sure (Live and Let Die, Knocking on Heavens Door, Street of Dreams). I would have loved to have seen a Chinese Democracy heavy show 2 years ago but with all the You Tube clips I just want the best songs regardless. A pleasant surprise for me would be Breakdown.

But if he has the hit now is the time to release it. If he doesn't then he should go with the best 18-20 original songs in the catalog.

Tough to tell what a guaranteed hit will be.

I would have bet money that Better and Street of Dreams would have been hits. And that Catcher, TIL and Prostitute would have had a strong posibility to be hits. IMO, CD is just as good as either Illusions.

Better has ALL the ingredients to be a Rock hit today.

I would have bet money that Better and Street of Dreams would have been hits. And that Catcher, TIL and Prostitute would have had a strong posibility to be hits. IMO, CD is just as good as either Illusions.

Keep in mind AFD did not start REALLY selling until over a year after it was released when the SCOM video hit and the single was promoted. Without promotion, it really doesn't matter how good it is, it won't catch on with the public until they're basically told they're supposed to like it. It's all subjective until then. There's a lot of amazing music out there that will never be discovered due to lack of promotion.

So, in a nutshell, if Axl puts out new music, he should probably get behind it this time. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind AFD did not start REALLY selling until over a year after it was released when the SCOM video hit and the single was promoted. Without promotion, it really doesn't matter how good it is, it won't catch on with the public until they're basically told they're supposed to like it. It's all subjective until then. There's a lot of amazing music out there that will never be discovered due to lack of promotion.

So, in a nutshell, if Axl puts out new music, he should probably get behind it this time. :thumbsup:

Somewhat agree,WTTJ didn't jive with the public at first and MTV wouldn't play it.Took a call from DG to get it played at an unpopular hour,but it caught on. SCOM broke the floodgates loose.

And the general public does consume what they are fed,sad but true.

Keep in mind AFD did not start REALLY selling until over a year after it was released when the SCOM video hit and the single was promoted. Without pyromotion, it really doesn't matter how good it is, it won't catch on with the public until they're basically told they're supposed to like it. It's all subjective until then. There's a lot of amazing music out there that will never be discovered due to lack of promotion.

Somewhat agree,WTTJ didn't jive with the public at first and MTV wouldn't play it.Took a call from DG to get it played at an unpopular hour,but it caught on. SCOM broke the floodgates loose.

You can polish a turd and it will still be a turd..........If WTTJ had not been a good song it never would have taken off......MTV played many hair metal bands who never caught on with fans and hit the big time yet Guns did so there must have been magic in that song for it to take off considering they played it at like 4am in the morning and MTV'switchboards lit up................

Never insinuated it was a bad song,I said MTV wouldn't play it at first,and I also stated that the general public slurps up the slop they are fed by the media. I listen to songs that I actually relate to and not because some hackneyed rock critic says "its popular"

Forget adding 'Breakdown' or 'Estranged' or anything old. Besides playing any new/unheard stuff, they should be consistently be playing "If the World"/"There Was A Time"/"Catcher in the Rye"/"Scraped"/"Riad"/"Prostitute" with all of the usual suspects. And hell, throw "Oh My God" in. Screw the old stuff. Unless it's "Coma"...

If Axl has a song that is a guaranteed hit then now is the time to release it. With the GnR catalog a big hit will easily carry the tour. If there is no hit then I am at least hoping for a more balanced set-list with a lot more of the UYI albums added to the set-list. Personally I would love to see the usual suspects added to the set-list (i.e. Estranged, Civil War, Don't Cry) with a some dropped for sure (Live and Let Die, Knocking on Heavens Door, Street of Dreams). I would have loved to have seen a Chinese Democracy heavy show 2 years ago but with all the You Tube clips I just want the best songs regardless. A pleasant surprise for me would be Breakdown.

But if he has the hit now is the time to release it. If he doesn't then he should go with the best 18-20 original songs in the catalog.

I would rather hear The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, Ides of March, Thyme, Seven, Zodiac, Down by the Ocean, ect.

Of course it's the right time to release it. But good luck trying to explain that to uncle Axl, he's totally nuts.

When I first heard the leak of Better, I was positive it was going to end up being a massive hit.

Totally agree.

"Totally nuts",but you are on this forum? So what does that reveal about you? Gotta love these e-psychiatrists :monkey:

People on this forum seem to think that releasing a new album or even a single is just that easy ...

There is a lot of things that you have to do first and i imagine the "Hits" haven't been mastered yet this takes some weeks

Then there are legal clearances and contracts with interscope need sorting

Jimmy Ivene is a giant douch bag as it is and im pretty sure he wont let axl release much more until detox has dropped

In fact im pretty sure he was trying to hold democracy off until after detox but that sh*ts just taken way too long

Yeah,all the ts have to be crossed and i's dotted.

Iovine is indeed an douche of epic proportions. :thumbsup:

It was a different situation though with WTTJ GnR were a new band trying to make their mark, I'm sure video was critical to their success not least because it get them noticed.

I still don't really understand why Axl didn't try harder to promote Chi Dem I am sure it did hurt the sales of the album because he chose not to do it.

I mean he goes on about being the last man standing and carrying on the GnR banner, well as its only him left (that the general public would immediately recognise) surely that includes doing publicity?

That said though, I'm not sure there is a cross over hit on there? Better I think would have the best mainstream chance but Rock just isn't that popular right now.

CD was sort like Return of the Jedi everyone knew it was coming out, promo was almost a waste of time.

Great point.

The cupcakes lOVE to use -as an insult to sales totals- the line "it was the most anticipated album of all time"..........but they also like to insult by saying there was no album promotion. Hhmm.

If it was the most anticipated album of all time it wouldn't need promotion now would it.

And on a side note. It clearly wasn't the most anticipated album in history. If it would have been the old band together...maybe that would have been true.

Haha, remember how many topics 'NOW is the time to release CD!' there were back in the day? :xmassrudolph:

If there's one thing I learned over the years as a GNR-fan, it't not keep my hopes up too much. Then you don't get disappointed. As AXl puts it: 'I don't owe the fans anything'. Well, I don't expect anything. :shrugs:

Edited by st0n3r

Keep in mind AFD did not start REALLY selling until over a year after it was released when the SCOM video hit and the single was promoted.

Um, no.

An executive at Geffen called MTV sometime after October 87 (I think in December) and requested Welcome to the Jungle be given some air time. It aired late night at first, and then started catching fire. In February of 1988, Guns n Roses was filmed at the Ritz for MTV. The album was already well on its way before Sweet Child was released. Sweet Child just pushed the accelerator down the rest of the way.

It did get promo from Best Buy. It's just I can see label execs not want to put too much into knowing it's going to sell a certain amount anyway. Especially with industry collapsed.

CD was sort like Return of the Jedi everyone knew it was coming out, promo was almost a waste of time.

Great point.

The cupcakes lOVE to use -as an insult to sales totals- the line "it was the most anticipated album of all time"..........but they also like to insult by saying there was no album promotion. Hhmm.

If it was the most anticipated album of all time it wouldn't need promotion now would it.

And on a side note. It clearly wasn't the most anticipated album in history. If it would have been the old band together...maybe that would have been true.