Do you think Axl will announce the titles of the new songs he plays at RIR or will he leave it open to speculation?

ITW 2012

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. This is going to lead to MAJOR disappointment if we all expect new songs to be played at rio and the tour and then we get nothing. In fact, I'm under the impression that we will not hear anything new and possibly less from CD. My guess is this is going to be a "greatest hits" type tour, and it all has to do with the hall of fame, to be honest. I wouldn't be shocked to hear CD songs removed and replaced by stuff like Estranged, Don't Cry, Yesterdays, maybe even Move to the City.

I think people would expect Axl to play new material regardless. I mean, he did at RIR in '01. :shrugs:

Just imagine seeing him say "This is a brand new song..."

I'm pretty excited, and I do believe Axl will debut new material.

But to answer the OP's question, I think he will, but it would be cool if one of them was left open to speculation so the forum could discuss it a bunch and try to figure out the title.

Well it would be nice but nothing to indicate its going to happen just yet.. If those messages on Tommy's twitter were not hacked then it seems they won't be putting any attention to anything new until after this tour at the earliest. Unless they've rehearsed one or two 'new' non-Chinese Democracy songs in the past and Axl will take the chance to bring it up now.. or if him & DJ have been writing and they pass around a demo for everyone to learn before the show..

Will be interesting to see anyway.

I believe the title of a new song has ALWAYS been announced when it was debuted live, correct? I know Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, Street Of Dreams (Well, The Blues), Riad, and Silkworms were. Anyone remember from the old band if this still stands as truth?

If he plays new songs, the Rock in Rio Facebook will announce the name of the songs either way...

Yeah or maybe just a tentative title.

Anyway wouldn't concern me if the title was "Axl feeds the ducks", would be great to hear something new.

I believe the title of a new song has ALWAYS been announced when it was debuted live, correct? I know Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, Street Of Dreams (Well, The Blues), Riad, and Silkworms were. Anyone remember from the old band if this still stands as truth?

Yes true. This is a new song .....

Yes true. This is a new song .....

He didn't announce Better, IRS, TWAT in 2006... as far as I remember.

Well those had leaked previously, but still.

We'd already heard them, and we already knew the titles. No reason to announce them. Hence the "downloading motherfuckers" comments in '06. The question at hand pertains to songs that are heard for the very first time in a live format.

Edited by Powerage5

Honestly I think people anticipating new songs are just setting themselves up for big disapointment. There's currently no indication of a new album on the way, and they haven't been in the studio since dj joined the band.

In all honesty, besides rio, I think they're doing this tour just because they're legally obligated to. Anybody remember axl's reading statement? It wasn't too long after the azoff settlement that they announced these dates, and these things do happen.

I think new songs are just in the realm of dreams at this point.

Didn't stop them from playing new songs at Rio in 01, or at Hammerstein in 06, the best case scenario out of those two was a new album 2 years away.

new songs 2011, new album 2012.

I really hope they play something new but I'm not getting my hopes up. I remember when they did Madagascar for the first time at Rio in 2001 and there was no You Tube and I was dying to hear what the song sounded like. It was very exciting when I found it on one of those old file sharing websites. I probably listened to that live bootleg hundreds of times over the next couple of years.

In all honesty, besides rio, I think they're doing this tour just because they're legally obligated to. Anybody remember axl's reading statement? It wasn't too long after the azoff settlement that they announced these dates, and these things do happen.

What do you mean legally obligated to?

The Reading statement is a whole other thing. He said they were obligated to do those show once scheduled by management. In this case the shows weren't scheduled until after the settlement with Azoff. The settlement should really benefit both parties, and Azoff sued for what? $1.8 mill? Axl counter-sued for about $5 mill.

I seriously doubt Axl would be enbarking on this tour, knowing he'll be doing the whole thing for Azoff, instead of caughing up the money. Bandmembers have been talking about doing a US tour since last year, I have a feeling they're doing this tour because they want to. The settlement probably helped them get the thing rolling.

Honestly I think people anticipating new songs are just setting themselves up for big disapointment. There's currently no indication of a new album on the way, and they haven't been in the studio since dj joined the band.

I think new songs are just in the realm of dreams at this point.

You have that backwards Bobbo. Part of the countersuit Axl launched was that Azoff was using his position to manipulate bands, promising tours that didn't happen, and basically blocking them from touring.

We know GN'R wanted to tour the US because multiple members publically said that. However, most people assume that, since they were on the outs with Azoff and therefore Live Nation (at least in the US), they were being prevented from doing so.

The settlement (in my opinion) seems to say:

Ok, Azoff, you want your money? Then you have to facilitate a tour.

In other words, both parties get what they want.