Something i've been thinking about

ronartest2004

I've been thinking about this lately, When most bands tour many of the fans want them to play their classics. But it seems like with *most* gnr fans we all want at least 1 new song. Whereas most people seeing other bands could care less if they even heard about a new album, let alone hearing new music.

And another point (completely off topic) but I've seen alot of people saying things about "hopefully ashba can give axl that extra boost to help him get a new album out" If anyone can do it, it is ashba. I know this is going to sound EXTREMELY petty, but with ashba being from Monticello,Indiana (about 30-40mins away from Lafayette,Indiana) I think Axl feels a real connection to him, it has been said in the past that Axl would show favoritism towards people from Indiana, especially those from around Lafayette. Where maybe he has worked with more talented people, I think people really discount the "back home" attitude, no so much towards lafayette, but artists who come from the area.

It is more due to the fact that Ashba managed to have Motley Crue writing decent songs that I have hopes in the Ashba/Axl collaboration.

His work with Sixx AM, Motley Crue & Beautiful Creatures is actually quite good.

It is more due to the fact that Ashba managed to have Motley Crue writing decent songs that I have hopes in the Ashba/Axl collaboration.

His work with Sixx AM, Motley Crue & Beautiful Creatures is actually quite good.

Yeah I know what you mean, I was more referring to people saying things like "if bucket couldn't get him motived then I doubt dj can".... But I'm telling all of you, the hometown thing is really big to Axl. I've always heard when he was spotted back in Lafayette (years ago) he was always very nice to the people there. He was always trying to help out local artists.

90% of the people who buy tickets aren't diehard fans, the average concert goer just wants to have a few drinks and hear some great tunes that they recognize and can sing along too. When you start putting in new songs and rare songs, the average concert goer gets bored and the band starts to lose the crowd. It's like guitar solos and instrumentals, I as a diehard music lover, love to see them but the average fan hates them if they are over 90 seconds long and starts to tune out or go to the bathroom

90% of the people who buy tickets aren't diehard fans, the average concert goer just wants to have a few drinks and hear some great tunes that they recognize and can sing along too. When you start putting in new songs and rare songs, the average concert goer gets bored and the band starts to lose the crowd. It's like guitar solos and instrumentals, I as a diehard music lover, love to see them but the average fan hates them if they are over 90 seconds long and starts to tune out or go to the bathroom

I do agree with that for most artists. It is usually something like "yeah I heard (insert bands name here) is playing, I have nothing to do...I'll probably buy a ticket and check it out". But with gnr the "average" music fan's reaction is "oh is slash back in the band?" "no" "Ah, well I'm not going". I'd have to believe that 70% if not more of the people at a gnr concert would be considered die hard fans, with the other percent being ones who had tickets bought & given to them.

You'd have to imagine that most of the guys in the band who have played/heard the new music have to be thinking "come on, lets throw some of this new kick ass stuff out there for these guys" It's like what Ashba said "axl has alot of great stuff, it's sad that most of it will never see the light of day"

Bruce Springsteen doesn't do this. Yea he plays Born to Run and a few other classics, but he plays a ton of rarities for his hardcore fans. On his last tour he played over 150 different songs. If he can pull it off, then Axl should be able to

Im not sure the point to this thread (sorry). Of course the general public go to hear the classics and a lot of the die hard GNR fans go to hear old and new. Not sure why you cant please both.

If there's anything to whinge about with the current set lists I'd say it's because either

- it's a bit samey in format

- the same classics are starting to be used

- the same CD songs are starting to be used

- cover song instead of new song

I hate going to a concert and knowing what is going to be played next. I'm not an Iron Maiden hater, but I hate how they do the exact list for the whole tour (I caught the Somewhere Back in Time tour because first time ever to my city). I also kinda like to feel a bit special that maybe our city got something that another city didn't.

So, the format for a current GNR gig

(1) Songs that are their staples - WTTJ, ISE, SCOM, Nightrain, PC, NR, YCBM, KOHD, Better

(2) Some songs that are staples, but maybe shouldn't be - MrB, LALD, RQ, the current songs being used from CD (CD, Sorry, SOD, This I love)

(3) Some songs that are nearly staples - Patience, Dont Cry, Madagascar, Estranged (this tour)

(4) And finally a couple of covers and solos

So - IMO if you wanted to mix it up I'd go

WTTJ, ISE, SCOM, PC, NR, YCBM, DC, Better - everytime

4 more from the new album - all have been played last year except Riad

3 more from AFD. All have been played in the past 10 years - Im sure people who have seen them at least twice in the past 10 years would have heard all collectively

3 more from UY1 and 2 that realistically Axl could front up to do - eg Bad Obsession, Dead Horse, 14 years, Yesterdays, Breakdown, (and the already played Estranged).

2 from GNR Lies/Spaghetti Incident

1 new cover every night

1 NEW SONG

22 songs in all, plus the solo spots

Big smile on all GNR fans' face - even those who didn't attend :thumbsup:

Edited by Aussiegun

I do agree with that for most artists. It is usually something like "yeah I heard (insert bands name here) is playing, I have nothing to do...I'll probably buy a ticket and check it out". But with gnr the "average" music fan's reaction is "oh is slash back in the band?" "no" "Ah, well I'm not going". I'd have to believe that 70% if not more of the people at a gnr concert would be considered die hard fans, with the other percent being ones who had tickets bought & given to them.

I've seen GNR 5 times, once from front row on the floor, the other 4 times I was surrounded by average people and none of them cared about new stuff, or the solo's. Look out in the audience when you go to a show, aside from the floor everyone in the seats are going to be close to 40 just reliving the early 90's. They just want the classics.

Bruce Springsteen doesn't do this. Yea he plays Born to Run and a few other classics, but he plays a ton of rarities for his hardcore fans. On his last tour he played over 150 different songs. If he can pull it off, then Axl should be able to

Some bands can do this, I saw Pearl Jam 2 nights in a row, they played 56 different songs between the two shows. The difference is having a huge selection of songs and being relevant, Bruce Springsteen is still getting positive media attention and so is Pearl Jam, they both have tonnes of songs to choose from and their fans are all diehard fans who know they are going to get a different setlist every night. Axl unfortunately doesn't have a huge selection of songs to choose from and even if he did without media attention he won't draw in new fans. So to keep the average fan happy he is just a nostalgic act like KISS, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, no one cares about their new stuff if and when they release it, they just want to go and sing along to the hits, and that's what sells tickets. If Axl chose to do something like Pearl Jam and play whatever they feel like at the time he'd probably be playing to 1000 people a night in a theatre.

I've been thinking about this lately, When most bands tour many of the fans want them to play their classics. But it seems like with *most* gnr fans we all want at least 1 new song. Whereas most people seeing other bands could care less if they even heard about a new album, let alone hearing new music.

And another point (completely off topic) but I've seen alot of people saying things about "hopefully ashba can give axl that extra boost to help him get a new album out" If anyone can do it, it is ashba. I know this is going to sound EXTREMELY petty, but with ashba being from Monticello,Indiana (about 30-40mins away from Lafayette,Indiana) I think Axl feels a real connection to him, it has been said in the past that Axl would show favoritism towards people from Indiana, especially those from around Lafayette. Where maybe he has worked with more talented people, I think people really discount the "back home" attitude, no so much towards lafayette, but artists who come from the area.

yes... creates quite a disincentive for any established bands to write new music nowadays, doesn't it? No money from selling new music, and no audiences that want to hear the new music... ok, just tour on the old stuff again then.

i will never get over how we all justify what's happened to the music scene... and how obvious it is to me how the collapse of the music industry has profoundly damaged the creation of new music.

Dude, that's EVERY band.

I've been thinking about this lately, When most bands tour many of the fans want them to play their classics. But it seems like with *most* gnr fans we all want at least 1 new song.

When you read this forum, then yes.

But I very much doubt this forum is a fair representation of what an average arena full of people want.

This, right here, are the people most obsessed with a band. 95% of the people who go to a GnR show could care less about registering at a fan forum.

I sincerely doubt most of them even keep up with the latest developments regarding the band.

Not that there are many developments in GnR land, but you get the point.

I think with this band, people want to hear more new stuff because this is a NEW band. If it were up to me, i want the original up there. (at least slash, duff, Izzy and Matt or Steve). All we heard was Axl and Slash wanted to go in different directions. Well, if thats REALLY the case, lets hear it. If Axl is going to play 75% old stuff, than I want to see the guys who made that stuff what it is. If the group i mentioned was on tour, new material would really not be an issue, and i belive it would be more welcomed by the majority. Either way, I will be at the covelli show in youngstown having a great time.

Edited by fabrph5

I've been thinking about this lately, When most bands tour many of the fans want them to play their classics. But it seems like with *most* gnr fans we all want at least 1 new song.

When you read this forum, then yes.

But I very much doubt this forum is a fair representation of what an average arena full of people want.

This, right here, are the people most obsessed with a band. 95% of the people who go to a GnR show could care less about registering at a fan forum.

I sincerely doubt most of them even keep up with the latest developments regarding the band.

Not that there are many developments in GnR land, but you get the point.

I think your numbers are skewed, I would say that its more like 95% of the people at a guns show are a forum member. Or they follow the band pretty hardcore, because most non-hardcore fans the first thing they say is "Oh is slash back in the band"...Whenever someone has asked me that and I reply with "no" they always laugh and say "Why would I want to go see axl?"...Most people even respond with "So I can wait for 4 hours for him to hit the stage and sound like the VMAs, or not even show up at all?!"

But hell like you said, there aren't many developments anyways. Even to us hardcore fans, its just the usual crap..."Hey guns are playing in south america"...or the good ol random guy with 1 post "I have unreleased tracks, uploading now but my connection is very slow" Then their 2nd post is "Fuck you all, I'll keep just keep the music for me".

Maybe i'm the only one, but that seems like was the past few years in "relevent gnr news" world has been.

I went to see Springsteen in 2009 and as a "casual" fan was extremely disappointed that he played a bunch of obscure songs that I had never heard before. So I totally get why GNR and other bands keep there sets classics heavy

I am just hoping that once the boys get back to the states that Axl puts on his ass kickin boots and reminds people here in the US that he still through it all is one of the best rock n roll frontmen of all times.

Gay username...Axl had better be on top of his game as the tolerance level for him is near rock bottom...unlike Europe, South America and Asia, where they still think this is GNR. Ever wonder why he's spent SO much time there in the last 10 years??

Someone is being Mr. Negative. The rest of the world isn't as stupid as you think it is. On the contrary, it's more intelligent than you think. They are well aware that the old GNR lineup is long gone, but they still show up because they love the music. They know Slash isn't there but the three guitarists are still kick ass.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I am 100% a die hard Guns fan. No doubt about it. But i can't stand the jam's and solos

I am just hoping that once the boys get back to the states that Axl puts on his ass kickin boots and reminds people here in the US that he still through it all is one of the best rock n roll frontmen of all times.

Gay username...Axl had better be on top of his game as the tolerance level for him is near rock bottom...unlike Europe, South America and Asia, where they still think this is GNR. Ever wonder why he's spent SO much time there in the last 10 years??

Someone is being Mr. Negative. The rest of the world isn't as stupid as you think it is. On the contrary, it's more intelligent than you think. They are well aware that the old GNR lineup is long gone, but they still show up because they love the music. They know Slash isn't there but the three guitarists are still kick ass.

I think what he was saying is that in the states, a lot of people say "this isn't gnr" because of the lack of Slash Duff etc. In other countries, they're a little more mature and undertand that "axl & co" put out an awesome album and that this is the only chance to see the classics as well. You are right with the rest of your post, I just think you may have misinterpreted the post. Then again, I'm probably the asshole here lol

Yeah Americans are fucking stupid. I would know, I am American. Possibly the most ignorant, empty and closed minded culture on earth.

Anyway I think I interpreted the post pretty well. Dude says it's not GN'R like most people when the rest of the world has moved on and know that it is indeed GN'R.

One new song..with major push, play and promotion would change a whole lot of the nostalgia attitude. CD came went and i think i heard it once on KBPI out of Denver Colorado.