Jane's Addiction

LA_0013

I've only heard a couple tracks off of Great Escape Artist, and I'm undecided as to how I view them in context of Jane's.

On one hand, Dave is really subdued in the riffs department; the electronica is everwhere. On the other, Perry's melodies are strong and memorable.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Strays, even though there were a couple of good rock hooks to be found throughout the album.

I usually judge a good Jane's song by Perkins' drumming; if he's off the chart, then the song is wild. Shame to hear his great tribal style reduced to simplistic patterns, because that is usually the benchmark of a boring Jane's song.

Lyrically, I didn't care about Irresistable Force until I discovered it was an Adam & Eve parable. It has more significance now, I guess.

The album is all right - It's far and away a more interesting piece of work than "Strays" was, but it's sorely missing that centerpiece song like "Three Days" or "Summertime Rolls." A song that creates a journey of sorts.

That being said, the middle of the album has a particularly strong run with the following songs:

Curiosity Kills > Irresistible Force > I'll Hit You Back > Twisted Tales

Great sequence of very different approaches and memorable melodies there.

Its a good record but its different. To me, JA was at their best when they were rocking. Straighforward rockers like Stop and True Nature were always their best stuff. They seem to be lacking that here. Still an interesting listen though.