Why only Vancouver and Hamilton?

volcano62

It makes it really difficult to plan to see a show the way they have been announcing dates, only a couple at a time. I haven't counted so maybe at this point they already announced the full 30 shows but I don't want to make travel and accomodation plans to see them if they are going to play in my city. Would be nice to know if Canada is getting more dates. Saskatoon and or Regina would be good. I'd even travel to Alberta or Manitoba.

Hamilton is likely a stronger hard-rock market than Toronto. Toronto has had three shows in the past ten years, Hamilton only one. It's closer to the border than Toronto (though only by an hour). Venue costs are probably much lower than Toronto.

Hamilton is close enough to Toronto that they'll draw fans (like myself) from Toronto. In some ways, makes more economic sense to play Hamilton vs. Toronto.

Finally, Toronto audiences are the worst. Most will leave by 1:30 to catch public transit and I have yet to attend a GNR concert in Toronto where I thought the audience was any good (and I've seen them in over 10 cities; Toronto is by far the worst crowd. FYI, Toronto is my home town).

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

What makes Hamilton a stronger hard-rock market then Toronto? Toronto's got like 3 million people not even counting the suburbs. Hamilton - 500,000. There are probably more hard rock fans in TO then Hamilton has people. Plus, the ACC is a MUCH better venue than Copps Coliseum.

Re: people leaving early to take the TTC, those same people that make the trip down from Toronto to Hamilton will be leaving early to catch the GO train.

While saying that Hamilton's only an hour or so from TO is a fair point, you know what's not an hour away from Toronto? Toronto! ;)

What makes Hamilton a stronger hard-rock market then Toronto? Toronto's got like 3 million people not even counting the suburbs. Hamilton - 500,000. There are probably more hard rock fans in TO then Hamilton has people. Plus, the ACC is a MUCH better venue than Copps Coliseum.

Re: people leaving early to take the TTC, those same people that make the trip down from Toronto to Hamilton will be leaving early to catch the GO train.

While saying that Hamilton's only an hour or so from TO is a fair point, you know what's not an hour away from Toronto? Toronto! ;)

I'd take Copps over the ACC any day. Copps is my second favorite North American arena I've been to for a show (Behind the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa).

Guest Sweet Tooth

Hamilton is awesome, when I see a show there, I feel like I'm in Detroit Rock City... Hamilton has a better, more dedicated rock scene than Toronto I'd say. The only thing making Hamilton awesome is it's music scene.

First, the crowd in Hamilton was way more into the show in 2010 than in Toronto. Axl knows this; he even acknowledged that Hamilton is where the true diehards live (before they launched into TWAT, the last time I think they played it live).

Second, having been in a band myself, Hamilton was always a better scene to be heard. No one in Toronto goes to live shows unless they've heard of the band, and only then if they are not inconvenienced.

Third, the GO train doesn't run at that time of day/night. Those coming to the show from Toronto are driving back or staying in a hotel.

Seriously, I think you're the only person on here that would argue that Toronto has better crowds than Hamilton. In 2006 Axl made a joke of not being too loud because the audience on the left side of the stage were trying to sleep.

Hamilton is a blue-collard town, Toronto not so much. Know your market, appeal to it, and play where fans love you the most. Judging from the 2010 tour, Hamilton easily trumps Toronto in that respect.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

The tour shirts say Toronto Nov 28th, not Hamilton, so perhaps Toronto was the original plan and it couldn't happen? Might have been due to the NBA lockout (the league has been dragging shit out maybe the venue had a hold on it that night, even if the calendar says it's open that night there could have been a hold). Also, yes Toronto would have been a much bigger crowd but Hamilton has good crowds for rock and I think Axl made some sort of comment on that so...

Vancouver just really needed a show.

And lets me honest - GN'R deserve a HUGE thanks for that Canadian tour, very few bands ever do that! Pearl Jam, White Stripes, a few others (plus our local acts).

I'd love to see GN'R play some festivals here next summer. Sarnia Bayfest? KISS, STP, etc. have done it. I just wanna see GN'R outdoors, in warm weather!

I travelled 1000 klms, from Brisbane to Sydney, to see GnR play last December. If I could afford it I would travel the planet to see them. One hour is nothing, go see them as much as you can - its fuckin' worth it. :)

I went from qld to sydney, then adelaide bro lol

Ha! I was hoping to make Adelaide. I work with Neurosurgeons and that wednesday (if i remember correctly) a Surgeon booked a big cervical tumour removal with me that i couldnt get out of. I stood there during the operation wishing i was in Adelaide. Not happy Jan!

Anyway, next time Guns tour Oz i will take holidays and do it properly.

Surely next tour Melbourne and Brisbane would get a gig too???

Ha! I was hoping to make Adelaide. I work with Neurosurgeons and that wednesday (if i remember correctly) a Surgeon booked a big cervical tumour removal with me that i couldnt get out of. I stood there during the operation wishing i was in Adelaide. Not happy Jan!

Anyway, next time Guns tour Oz i will take holidays and do it properly.

Surely next tour Melbourne and Brisbane would get a gig too???

you probably already know this, but those major cities only missed out due to the terms in the v8 contract and that as part of Guns fees, they couldn't play in a specified vicinity of the ANZ stadium.

I'm more surprised that New Zealand didn't get any love this time 'round.

Ok here's my beef.....let's say I buy tickets to Hamilton, book a hotel and rent a car. THEN all of a sudden they announce shows in Montreal (that's where I'm from) Ottawa and Quebec City.

I'll be pissed :anger:

Then you get to go to another show :) Bonus!!!