Frank Sinatra's I Did It My Way

Tabitha27

I noticed this song is being played at the end of the GNR shows this time around.

Let's look at this song and it's lyrics:

And now, the end is near,

And so I face the final curtain.

My friends, I'll say it clear;

I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full -

I've travelled each and every highway.

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Regrets? I've had a few,

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -

Each careful step along the byway,

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,

When I bit off more than I could chew,

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried,

I've had my fill - my share of losing.

But now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that,

And may I say, not in a shy way -

Oh no. Oh no, not me.

I did it my way.

For what is a man? What has he got?

If not himself - Then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows

And did it my way.

Yes, it was my way.

I thihk this sums up Axl's years from when Slash left in 1996 to now - like he has proved to everyone he did it his own way without support of Record Company, some fans, and management.

Discuss

Frank Sinatra hated that song and Strangers in the Night. They should change it to "El Rey". Nothing like a mariachi tune right after a hard rock show.

-- "I hate this song -- you sing it for eight years, you would hate it too!" (Caesars Palace, 1978)

-- "And of course, the time comes now for the torturous moment -- not for you, but for me." (L.A. Amphitheater, 1979)

-- "I hate this song. I HATE THIS SONG! I got it up to here [with] this God damned song!" (Atlantic City, 1979)

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

My Way was the outro in '09/'10 too. May have been used before that, though I'm not entirely sure.

It’s difficult, because of the outro, not to consider the interpretation this is the last phase in GN’R history.

I don't buy that Axl didn't have the support of the record company. They poured millions of dollars into CD for years and years without any return.

You can't tell a business "soon" if you're in one of the biggest bands in the world, and you have a contract with them. It can't be that bad of a relationship, otherwise he would've done what Prince did a the end of his contract with Warners...

I saw Frank Sinatra 4 times in concert and My Way is one of the greatest fucking songs ever recorded.

I'm in total agreement with you on this one! Also like the SV version,any "interpretations" of the meaning of this song in relation to the tour,other than the obvious connotation are likely erroneous speculative boolsheet.

I don't buy that Axl didn't have the support of the record company. They poured millions of dollars into CD for years and years without any return.

You obviously have little or no comprehension of what "support" consists of,the monetary aspect is only part of the support that is customarily expected.