Tommy Interview - 25/11

The Archer

Interesting read, if not posted before -

http://bostonglobe.com/arts/2011/11/25/one-man-guns-replacements/Ker896f3fCnDNXTjodOEQI/story.html

Tommy Stinson takes a moment from the GNR tour to talk about his current band - and his old one

Tommy Stinson released a terrific new solo album, “One Man Mutiny,’’ earlier this year full of loose-limbed, Stones-y rave-ups (with a portion of its proceeds benefiting the Timkatec Schools in Haiti). But the former bassist for the seminal Minneapolis alt-rock band the Replacements hasn’t had much time to promote it. Stinson has been busy touring with the current lineup of Guns N’ Roses, in which he is now one of the longest-serving members, and with whom he finally made his recorded debut on the long-awaited 2008 album, “Chinese Democracy.’’ (Stinson also plays with fellow Twin Cities rockers Soul Asylum when he’s got time.)

This past Sunday night we saw Stinson roar through two-and-a-half hours with GNR in Pennsylvania, and even with only frontman Axl Rose as the sole surviving original member and a typically tedious between set wait, the band gave its all - see for yourself when the band plays the DCU Center tonight. We caught up with Stinson by phone from a Houston tour stop to talk Guns, ’Mats, and what’s up with those late start times.

Q. GNR is playing for nearly three hours. Are you just exhausted at the end of the night?

A. I’m still burnt from last night’s show. (Laughs.) It’s a marathon. But there’s a lot of music that the people want to hear from the old stuff, and there’s a lot of stuff we want to promote from “Chinese Democracy.’’ We never really promoted that record and neither did the record company.

Q. I’m sure I’m not the first to say this, but I was doing the math and I just realized you’ve been a replacement longer than you were a Replacement. How does that feel?

A. And longer than [original GNR members] were in the [expletive] band. (Laughs.) That’s [expletive] funny.

Q. It’s your life, so I’m sure it seems normal to you.

A. Well, it doesn’t seem normal to me but it’s what I do. (Laughs.) There ain’t nothing about this that seems normal. I’ve lived a pretty kooky existence.

Q. And speaking of kooky, is there any way to sit down with Axl and say there’s no reason that fans should have to wait up to three hours between the opening act and GNR?

A. There is no reason ever for that to be.

Q. So why does it happen? What is happening during the time that people are waiting?

A. You know what? I don’t even know. I just know that some days my boy gets [expletive] derailed. I know he does his best to get out there on time. He doesn’t want to make people wait and bum out on him but, again, he can’t play before he’s ready either.

Q. Maybe he should start getting ready earlier then, because he must be paying all kinds of overtime and fines at these arenas which must be eating into the tour profits.

A. You’ve got a good point there. You know, that’s never been something he’s ever given a [expletive] about. When he’s ready to put on his best show that’s when he’s going to put it on, and if it’s on the late side so be it. He’ll gladly pay the extra money.

Q. What’s happening during the breaks for you? Napping? Warming up?

RAMON ESPINOSA/AP/FILE 2010

“I’ve lived a pretty kooky existence,’’ says Stinson.

A. I’m usually sitting on the bus playing my guitar trying to remember my own songs. (Laughs).

Q. Speaking of your songs, I heard the title track to “One Man Mutiny’’ came out of a GNR bus dispute, is that right?

A. Yeah. I was inadvertently dragged into an inner-bus dispute about some travel plans that someone was going to make a big stink about and include me. And I came out and said, “Hey man, you have your own mutiny, I’m a one man mutiny,’’ and from there we had a laugh about it and by the time we’d gone from Ireland to Belgium, I had the whole song written. I included [GNR keyboardist] Dizzy [Reed] and [guitarist] Richard Fortus on it because it was our dispute. (Laughs.)

Q. It’s been three years since “Chinese Democracy’’; is GNR working on a new record?

A. I’ve been hearing about us going into “writing mode’’ after this run, so if that’s the case, I look forward to it.

Q. After all this time, do you feel insulated from the whole “It’s not Guns N’ Roses’’ complaint? Does it bother you that some fans don’t consider it a “real’’ band?

A. I couldn’t really give a [expletive]. I’ve always just played and done my bit, whatever that is, playing in the ’Mats or Guns or Soul Asylum. I just show up and have a good time, that’s my role. . . . The whole idea of joining this band was a [expletive] crapshoot to begin with. And you know what? It was a good idea then, it’s a good idea now. I have fun with him. We have a blast playing together.

Q. Since Axl does press so infrequently people must ask you all the time how he is. Sometimes when people are reclusive, their fans assume they’re unhappy or worse.

A. I think his silence has worked for him. I think that over all the years you’ve had [former band members] going on about Axl this and Axl that, and he’s kept his mouth shut and is waiting for when he’s ready to spill the beans, according to him. That day is coming I think. I think he’s feeling more comfortable with the idea of talking publicly about some of this [stuff] and setting the record straight from his point of view.

Q. As someone who writes about music I am contractually obligated to ask if there is ever going to be a Replacements reunion.

A. That’s probably about as likely as a Guns reunion, I suppose. No possibility. (Laughs.)

Edited by The Archer

Tommy is definately becoming more open in his answers then he wa in the past.

As long as there's a plan for next year whether that's writing songs or touring then that's great news.

Id love to get some new songs, but I rather hear the unfinished stuff first. Hopefully we'll get both at some point.

And people say there's a gag order in place. The way Tommy kind of complained about the late starts, this gag order seems pretty unlikely.

Only idiots would say that - and we all know who they are.

People say that because they dont even think. Would you post on Facebook about your company plans before them? Would you bitch about your boss knowing he would know about it?

Tommy is nice!

Nice Interview. Thanks.

Q. As someone who writes about music I am contractually obligated to ask if there is ever going to be a Replacements reunion.

A. That’s probably about as likely as a Guns reunion, I suppose. No possibility. (Laughs.)

The General is the boss :krider:

Edited by bumblecool

As for the whole gag order thing...I think they're "restricted" on what they can say and reveal. And this interview isn't too revealing or anything.

This is true, but I don't think [*inserting personal opinion*] Axl puts a muzzle on them. I think they choose to proceed cautiously after the disaster of ChD. Every time they said anything about a release date, it got delayed. But again, personal opinion over here. It just seems obvious to me to keep quiet about that sort of thing and not get everybody's hopes up.

Tommy quickly kinda defends Axl in the next statement. I'm not sure I buy the whole "Tommy doesn't really know why Axl's consistently late" either. He's been in the band 13 years...

Yeah, but nobody ever really knew, right? Slash said he only knew about a few instances in his book, and those were because Axl launched into a full-blown explanation that made Slash feel bad for getting mad at him (which is stupid since he had every right to be mad at him). I just doubt Tommy and Axl communicate much more than Slash and Axl did. But again, I guess that's personal opinion.

Moving on, I find it interesting he said "writing mode". Does this mean the band moves forward with new material, as in recorded just by the current lineup? Hmm...interesting...I hope that's the case.

Sounds like it! Writing mode = 2012 material, not 1997 material in my eyes. :D

Everybody in the band could easily get a new gig if GnR ends. So I highly doubt that grown men, professional musicians, are willing to be treated like little kids. Axl isn't paying them enough to just be dumb little hired hands who obey his every wish and command. Gag order? Ridiculous.

But Bobbo probably is close to the truth. I think Axl probably has a couple issues that he has "asked" the guys not to talk about, out of respect to him. "We shouldn't give out specific song titles and information, or exact dates on when a new album is coming out - until we know all of that for sure." and "Let's keep the talk about the old band to a minimum and keep it classy." But I would bet a million dollars there was never a gag order of any kind. As for the rest, more of a conversation amongst adults, with everybody agreeing the best way to talk about the band.

A bit off topic, but relative. People always say that the band members never answer specific questions and always dodge around subjects. I don't understand. If they don't know when the next album is coming out.....if they don't know what songs are going to be on it...........what exactly are they supposed to say? They can't give a more specific answer, because they don't know! They are being honest. Heck, even Axl doesn't know what songs they are going to use on the next album.

I wish people would just chill and not nit-pick everything to death. We all want a new album. We all want to hear new songs. We all want to hear all the remaining CD songs (General, etc).

A. And longer than [original GNR members] were in the [expletive] band. (Laughs.) That’s [expletive] funny.

Longer then the original members and much less output. Good on you Tommy. I'm all for the new band but when the current members shit on the old, it's not cool. So Tommy thinks being a replacement in a band longer than the original members that started it(sans Axl) is better... Yeah... Much like when he talked shit about Buckethead, the guy should just not do interviews.

Longer then the original members and much less output. Good on you Tommy. I'm all for the new band but when the current members shit on the old, it's not cool. So Tommy thinks being a replacement in a band longer than the original members that started it(sans Axl) is better... Yeah... Much like when he talked shit about Buckethead, the guy should just not do interviews.

Hmmm, it didn't seem that Tommy was using the [expletives] in a derogatory way or talking down former gunners. If anything, I've only heard of him being respectful to people like Duff.

It just looked like he was pointing out the irony of the fact that his tenure in the band has lasted longer than theirs'. You can see it in the Trunk interview/video when the same point was brought up. This interview brought up a recurring theme and Tommy just seemed to emphasize his feelings about it, that's all.

The man may need to brush up on his language skills though, instead of using [expletives] as filler :shrugs:

Edited by The Archer

You really made an effort for making this shit up, dont you?

Where did you find in that quote anything about being longer than original members was better? Or that he was shitting on the old band?

Where did you find in that quote anything about being longer than original members was better? Or that he was shitting on the old band?

Maybe 'better' is not the best word but there is clearly a tone of superiority in that quote due to him being in the band longer than the original members. It could be the use of expletives that gives it that feel though, in writing it's hard to know.

Edited by Young_Gun

Maybe 'better' is not the best word but there is clearly a tone of superiority in that quote due to him being in the band longer than the original members. It could be the use of expletives that gives it that feel though, in writing it's hard to know.

"Tone" is often difficult to make out from writing. Watch the video with Trunk - it's apparent that he really doesn't mean disrespect and has a sort of irreverent, ironic attitude to the whole thing.

"Tone" is often difficult to make out from writing. Watch the video with Trunk - it's apparent that he really doesn't mean disrespect and has a sort of irreverent, ironic attitude to the whole thing.

Indeed. Still don't like how he bagged on Bucket though...

Dear lord. How did you manage to pull such things out of this?

Tommy has nothing but respect for the old band.

You should just not write posts man. If you can't see things somewhat objectively.

I can imagine how it can be a daunting task to work with a guy who talks through a puppet and demands to have his own chicken coop with dog poop though.

I will continue to post what I feel, none of what I post is against forum rules.

And as for Bucket, you obviously do not know that he does talk through a puppet when he isn't on camera, it's all an act. So all the managers, singers, producers, promoters etc have to speak to Bucket through a puppet?! Laughable. Even Beta debunked the chicken coop thing as merely a fun thing to do in the studio.

The next album is going to depend when they take a break from touring. We don't know if there's plans to do more shows in 2012 or they're planning on going in the studio in a few months.

Maybe there's not a gag order, but there could be a non-disclosure agreement they signed when they joined the band.

Everybody in the band could easily get a new gig if GnR ends. So I highly doubt that grown men, professional musicians, are willing to be treated like little kids. Axl isn't paying them enough to just be dumb little hired hands who obey his every wish and command. Gag order? Ridiculous.

But Bobbo probably is close to the truth. I think Axl probably has a couple issues that he has "asked" the guys not to talk about, out of respect to him. "We shouldn't give out specific song titles and information, or exact dates on when a new album is coming out - until we know all of that for sure." and "Let's keep the talk about the old band to a minimum and keep it classy." But I would bet a million dollars there was never a gag order of any kind. As for the rest, more of a conversation amongst adults, with everybody agreeing the best way to talk about the band.

A bit off topic, but relative. People always say that the band members never answer specific questions and always dodge around subjects. I don't understand. If they don't know when the next album is coming out.....if they don't know what songs are going to be on it...........what exactly are they supposed to say? They can't give a more specific answer, because they don't know! They are being honest. Heck, even Axl doesn't know what songs they are going to use on the next album.

I wish people would just chill and not nit-pick everything to death. We all want a new album. We all want to hear new songs. We all want to hear all the remaining CD songs (General, etc).

Indeed. Still don't like how he bagged on Bucket though...

He clearly is laughing about how crazy the situation is. In the past he has shown nothing but respect about the original band.

But I don't remember the bucket stuff so u could be right about that.