Backing vocals are too low in the mix

ChristianGNR

First of all, i think this 2011 tour is the best tour in terms of mixing. We finally can hear the bass as loud as it deserved, and we don't have problems during the guitar solos or axl's voice anymore.

But the backing vocals are, specially Dizzy's mic, too low in the mix now. I miss 2010 backing vocals.

For example: Knocking on heavens door, during 2010, we had a clearl Dizzy's backing vocal during the verses, and in 2011 i can see him SINGING but i can't hear him anymore.

Civil War had Dizzy and (maybe) Chris doing backing vocals and we didn't hear them too.

YCBM had a great backing vocal by Bumblefoot and now it's impossible to hear him.

Edited by ChrisMaciel

Because Axl's backing track needs to be loud and clear to drown out the Mickey Mouse asthma..

There are less backing tracks than 2011.

Chinese Democracy backing track is gone. Also, backing tracks are different from live backing vocals.

Edited by ChrisMaciel

First of all, i think this 2011 tour is the best tour in terms of mixing. We finally can hear the bass as loud as it deserved, and we don't have problems during the guitar solos or axl's voice anymore.

But, the backing vocals are, specially Dizzy's mic, are too low in the mix now. I miss 2010 backing vocals.

For example: Knocking on heavens door, during 2010, we had a clearly Dizzy's backing vocal during the verses, and in 2011 i can see him SINGING but i can't hear him anymore.

Civil War had Dizzy and (maybe) Chris doing backing vocals and we didn't heard them too.

YCBM had a great backing vocal by Bumblefoot and now it's impossible to hear him.

Because Axl's backing track needs to be loud and clear to drown out the Mickey Mouse asthma..

cupcake detected

But, the backing vocals are, specially Dizzy's mic, are too low in the mix now. I miss 2010 backing vocals.

For example: Knocking on heavens door, during 2010, we had a clearly Dizzy's backing vocal during the verses, and in 2011 i can see him SINGING but i can't hear him anymore.

Civil War had Dizzy and (maybe) Chris doing backing vocals and we didn't heard them too.

cupcake detected

Detected??

Nerd :rolleyes:

Okay how's this? You're a fucking cupcake, gtfo :-)

Whenever I've been asked about a Guns show I've been to I always praise the sound guy. It's not easy working with three guitars but you always hear the right guitarist at the right time. It varies from venue to venue, but generally speaking whoever the sound guy is deserves a medal. He really does a good job at making sure the guitar levels are right.

Unfortunately, you're right about the backing vocals. Last year they were loud and clear, this year not so much. It's like the sound guy has improved even more with the instruments (like you said, the bass is pumping more than ever, which is awesome for songs like Rocket Queen or It's So Easy) but has taken some away from the backing vocals. Even on Paradise City you can barely hear anybody aside from Axl. This band has some great vocal talent so it's too bad they don't take more advantage of it. Especially Bumblefoot and Dizzy - both of those guys have awesome voices.

Whenever I've been asked about a Guns show I've been to I always praise the sound guy. It's not easy working with three guitars but you always hear the right guitarist at the right time. It varies from venue to venue, but generally speaking whoever the sound guy is deserves a medal. He really does a good job at making sure the guitar levels are right.

Unfortunately, you're right about the backing vocals. Last year they were loud and clear, this year not so much. It's like the sound guy has improved even more with the instruments (like you said, the bass is pumping more than ever, which is awesome for songs like Rocket Queen or It's So Easy) but has taken some away from the backing vocals. Even on Paradise City you can barely hear anybody aside from Axl. This band has some great vocal talent so it's too bad they don't take more advantage of it. Especially Bumblefoot and Dizzy - both of those guys have awesome voices.

Hey just as long as BBF keeps his accent at bay when he sings, I'm all for hearing him.

Hey just as long as BBF keeps his accent at bay when he sings, I'm all for hearing him.

Come on, his talking voice is awesome. :lol:

Here's a decent clip of him singing what he sings in Shackler's. Listen from 1:30 on.

Hey All,

I do agree that the backing vocals, especially for some of the choruses, need to come up. It's a shame that in certain places they've gone back to backing tracks rather than have one of the seven other people in the band sing. I remember Madagascar in Hamilton was noticeable for having Axl's backing tracks blast through the speakers and yet no one was at the mic. If you're going to have backing tracks with backing vocals on them, at least have someone at the mic pretending to be singing. It just looks bad if there's seven people no where near a mic and you can hear multiple vocal tracks. They use to have people sing the backing vocals on Madagascar, maybe it was Fink. Always thought it sounded better live than using Axl's backing vocals; made it sound more raw.

Cheers,

Andrew

258Troll_spray.jpg

Awful photoshop work.

Not at all. Have you actually listened to recent shows? Axl sounds fine

258Troll_spray.jpg

Awful photoshop work.

I know :lol:

Gets the point across don't it?

Go away.

It's yet another cupcake,give him enough rope and he will hang himself into Starland <_<

Kind of off topic, but I love that they got rid of a lot of the studio backtracking that they were previously using. Chinese Democracy, Shackler's and Sorry sound so much better with just Axl's live singing.

Indeed. More authentic, for one, and less distracting. I like the rawness of it. Of course, it's still used for various vocal parts on other songs (Madagascar comes to mind) but generally speaking they've really cut back the amount of backing track vocals from last year.

Kind of off topic, but I love that they got rid of a lot of the studio backtracking that they were previously using. Chinese Democracy, Shackler's and Sorry sound so much better with just Axl's live singing.

Indeed. More authentic, for one, and less distracting. I like the rawness of it. Of course, it's still used for various vocal parts on other songs (Madagascar comes to mind) but generally speaking they've really cut back the amount of backing track vocals from last year.

Agreed, although I think for some songs like Madagascar and Better the backing tracks are necessary for the chorus. The biggest problem with the backing vocals in Shackler's and CD was that Axl doesn't sing those songs live exactly the way they sound on CD, so the backtracking stood out more.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a example of a perfect mix of backing vocals.

You can hear Dizzy's, Tommy's and Bumblefoot's voices clearly.

You can hear Chris doing the "We been dancing with Mr. Brownstone" in the perfect volume. Not so High as the LA soundboard and not so Low as the other shows.

This show (Phoenix) was a great show in terms of mixing.