perfect time for a new song?

riot

I take it 7 tracks at a time.

Its kind of like a cross between Exile and Tumbleweed Connection.

I think VR make those kinds of exciting records. It's a rush of adrenaline. I used to only like these kinds of records until discovered The Doors, Zepp, Stones even Bowie or VU.

I think it's like headphone music. Like Korn is amazing on headphones. But if I'm reclining at home home I'd prefer Dylan.

I think some users were expecting another AFD album but the closest you can get is Contraband. Key word, closer. Contraband was like Back in Black. Album of mostly hard rock songs. Chinese Democracy pretty much had hard rock songs at the right intervals with the last 15 minutes being as insanely epic as the first 15. I think that's why I can always play it from start to finish. It opens hard, gets slow then fast then builds up to Prostitute. And what an epic buildup.

They should drop a new song maybe a month and a half before the HOF so that it's hopefully getting massive airplay at the time of the ceremony. Not a leak, not a filler track - they need to officially release their best unheard song with the best chance of a radio hit. Hopefully this would be supported by the song performed live at event/s or shows that will receive a lot of national attention as well. Debuting a song at the ceremony would not work, people need it slammed down their ears beforehand so they know how great the new lineup is at the time of the induction.

A whole new album isn't necessarily a requirement, "I need a Doctor" was a very successful single for Dre last winter and Detox still isn't out. A similarly timed and executed single release from the new lineup would be enough.

The 'new' band just needs to make some kind of impact before the ceremony to claim their place in GN'R history. Otherwise, this will be exclusively about the Axl-Slash-Izzy-Duff-Steve/Sorum lineup. Allowing "Guns N' Roses" to be defined that way is the one thing that could bury all that's been accomplished over this past decade. One big single is all it'd take to put the new lineup on the map....

That's a great post! Release a single in February and the hype about the HOF will carry it to be a hit if it's any good AT ALL. The only drawback is IF it's a hit, will casual fans expect it to be played at the ceremony?

Either that or release one right AFTER the HOF thing. I don't think announcing anything there would be a good move unless it's the R-word.

Regarding songs leaking, I always found it weird how all the songs that leaked were on the "first" album. Is that a coincidence or were we possibly mislead as to how much is "done"? You would think with all these songs to choose from he wouldn't make half the album out of the leaks. You'd think he'd save some for the next record, b sides, whatever, if there's SO MUCH to choose from.

I always thought that part of the reason that the track list ended up the way it did was because of the leaks. For Riad, anyways. I thought Axl had said in the past that Riad wouldn't be on the album. Of course, things can change or he can change his mind but I remember a lot of people were surprised that the song even leaked as nobody had heard about it for a long time. Plus, I also recall Axl saying that the first album (Chinese Democracy) would have 13 tracks and of course there is 14 as it is now. Again, things can change but I thought perhaps since Riad had leaked anyways they decided to include it as well. Not so much as a "bonus" but because it was out there and available anyways.

This of course doesn't account for the "Jackie Chan/Check mate/All cautions made" leak, but maybe that one was different because only like 20 seconds leaked. I was actually kind of disappointed that the song wasn't on the album as those 20 seconds do sound pretty cool.

Pure speculation on my part, but I always found that rather curious.

See like, what interest me is what the new record is, or will be.

I mean "Chinese Democracy" is essentially a sampler of... Chinese Democracy.

You could have made a more hard industrial alt-rock album with Chinese, Oh My God, Soul Monster, Seven, Shackler's, Silkworms, Rhiad what have you...

You could have made a softer Achtung style record with The Blues, Madagascar, Atlas, If The World, Catcher what have you...

Instead you kind of get a pseudo "Greatest Hits" album. I guess what I am saying is that Chinese is not a cohesive record.

There's no core theme like "Appetite" was 'the party record' or no consistent sound or tone like an "Exile" or something.

That's what I love about it though. It's an amalgam. It's a strange acid trip through the 60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, and today.

But you can't pigeon-hole it to those eras. It takes the best moments of those eras and updates them, adds something to it, etc.

All this rambling aside: do you do that same thing again? Same style? Same structure?

Probably. Axl seems to be unveiling his vision piece-by-piece instead of the puzzle itself.

We'll see.

See like, what interest me is what the new record is, or will be.

I mean "Chinese Democracy" is essentially a sampler of... Chinese Democracy.

You could have made a more hard industrial alt-rock album with Chinese, Oh My God, Soul Monster, Seven, Shackler's, Silkworms, Rhiad what have you...

You could have made a softer Achtung style record with The Blues, Madagascar, Atlas, If The World, Catcher what have you...

Instead you kind of get a pseudo "Greatest Hits" album. I guess what I am saying is that Chinese is not a cohesive record.

There's no core theme like "Appetite" was 'the party record' or no consistent sound or tone like an "Exile" or something.

That's what I love about it though. It's an amalgam. It's a strange acid trip through the 60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, and today.

But you can't pigeon-hole it to those eras. It takes the best moments of those eras and updates them, adds something to it, etc.

All this rambling aside: do you do that same thing again? Same style? Same structure?

Probably. Axl seems to be unveiling his vision piece-by-piece instead of the puzzle itself.

We'll see.

Great post! But do you know for sure about songs like Soul Monster being industrial and Atlas Shrugged being more Achtung as you say?

I get the whole advantage of having the GNR name in the press with the whole HOF thing. But I have to believe that deep down everyone (including Axl) knows what this award is going to bring. No matter if he shows up or not, no matter if he shakes hands and hugs the guys or not, and for sure if he jams for a few songs , the aftermath of the RRHOF is going to lift the reunion talk to new heights. I really feel like it would be the WORST time to release new material, as no matter the strength of the song it would be trashed by the press because it's not the old guys. Remember whats getting the band the press, its not the new material, and they made sure you know exactly why the band is there by only inducting the classic line up. So while putting out new stuff with the current line up is my dream, and I cross my fingers for it every day. I can't help but think it would get swept under the rug if everyone has their minds made up as to who Axl should be recording/performing with. Even more so then in previous years.

Great post! But do you know for sure about songs like Soul Monster being industrial and Atlas Shrugged being more Achtung as you say?

Didn't say anything about either song just that they'd fit each respective cohesive record better as they fit together on the same shelf; those are bad descriptions for both songs.

Edited by Brodie

Perfect time for Perfect Crime

begin the show with perfect crime and then play a new song!

hey metallica just issued an ep called beyond magnetic! 4 songs that werent on death magnetic....plus they played 4 shows with a looooooooot special guest including first bassist mcgovney... mustaine... halford and a lot much more! played tons of rare songs. I guess this is too much of us fans to ask for a new song once in a while