I would rather here chinese democracy songs live

taylorswift

The problem is that people react more strongly to the old songs. They've played Better, SOD, Sorry, This I Love, Shackler's Revenge, and Madgascar quite frequently. Opening the show with Chinese Democracy as oppose to WTTJ is a big step in that direction of promoting new songs. I think they could add a few more. TWAT, IRS, Catcher in the Rye, Riad. I mean if they really want to focus on CD they might as well go all out.

Warm them up with old songs from AFD and UYI, and slam them with CD. Sounds like a good plan.

yeah but, havent these audiences alreayd heard the old songs live on previous tours? and is rock music about catering to an audience? but agree mostly with what you said...

i think the new stuff leaves more room for error and makes things more interesting, hearing welcome to the jungle or night train live from 2002, or 2006, or 2011, or 2010 or whatever, i mean how many times can we hear it?

Personally I listen to the Chinese Democracy CD almost every day, I like it that much. Part of the reason is I played my Appetite CD or heard songs from it literally more than a thousand times, so yeah the freshness of Chinese (virtually no airplay) is a factor. Being able to listen to it in "mixed" company because it's nearly swear-free is also a factor.

Rock music isn't about catering to an audience, but concerts are. When fans go to a GNR concert, the vast majority want to hear most if not all of the biggest hits. It's like that with any band or artist, regardless of the genre.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that people react more strongly to the old songs. They've played Better, SOD, Sorry, This I Love, Shackler's Revenge, and Madgascar quite frequently. Opening the show with Chinese Democracy as oppose to WTTJ is a big step in that direction of promoting new songs. I think they could add a few more. TWAT, IRS, Catcher in the Rye, Riad. I mean if they really want to focus on CD they might as well go all out.

Warm them up with old songs from AFD and UYI, and slam them with CD. Sounds like a good plan.

yeah but, havent these audiences alreayd heard the old songs live on previous tours? and is rock music about catering to an audience? but agree mostly with what you said...

i think the new stuff leaves more room for error and makes things more interesting, hearing welcome to the jungle or night train live from 2002, or 2006, or 2011, or 2010 or whatever, i mean how many times can we hear it?

Personally I listen to the Chinese Democracy CD almost every day, I like it that much. Part of the reason is I played my Appetite CD or heard songs from it literally more than a thousand times, so yeah the freshness of Chinese (virtually no airplay) is a factor. Being able to listen to it in "mixed" company because it's nearly swear-free is also a factor.

Rock music isn't about catering to an audience, but concerts are. When fans go to a GNR concert, the vast majority want to hear most if not all of the biggest hits. It's like that with any band or artist, regardless of the genre.

Did they not hear the hits on the last tour? Or the one before that?

Did they not hear the hits on the last tour? Or the one before that?

But nobody ever goes "Man they play the hits last tour, why are they playing them this tour?" It's expected of them in general to play the hits

Plus you say "they" like everyone has already seen them. Many people probably have seen GNR - but at the same time there are many, many people who have not.

GNR is a band where they just can't drop their hit songs

Edited by WhazUp

There are always going to be casual fans and fans not born before AFD came out that would like to hear the old stuff. It'll be interesting to see how the setlists go when a new album drops. If there's no promotion or hit singles, it'll be same old same old.

My setlist

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Shacklers

3. Nightrain

4. Its So Easy

5. Rocket Queen

6. There Was A Time

7. Scraped

8. YCBM

9. Better

10. SCOM

11. Double Talkin Jive

12. Yesterdays

13. WTTJ

14. Catcher in the Rye

15. Patience

16. Street Of Dreams

17. Prostitute

18. Estranged

19. This I Love

20. November Rain

Encore

21. Dont Cry

22. Madagascar

23. Civil War

24. Paradise City

Now THIS is the perfect setlist. All it needs is Perfect Crime.

Ok this list is better. Needed Patience there.

90% of the crowds dont give a crap about CD songs.

I don't believe that's true.

Sure, CD songs aren't exactly crowd-pleasers, but I think a good chunk of a GNR crowd would at least be familiar with the album. As for the rest? Fuck em.

Did you go to a show on this tour? I looked around at the crowd every time a CD song was played. People sat down during these songs. People didnt sing along. People got up to get beer and food. Dont be foolish, the majority of the people going to the shows are NOT going to hear CD songs. Just look at the reactions from the crowd. I was disappointed by the crowd at the Norman show when they played CD songs because NOBODY, except a few, cared about those songs. My 12 year old and I were the only people who knew the songs, and as I said before, people around us were asking, "whats this song?"

This is not what happened here in Rio. People were singing along to every new song, but mostly This I Love and Chinese - I'm telling ya, more than half of the people around me knew all the lyrics. Maybe Maddy and SOD too...

This is not what happened here in Rio. People were singing along to every new song, but mostly This I Love and Chinese - I'm telling ya, more than half of the people around me knew all the lyrics. Maybe Maddy and SOD too...

But then again, South Americans are apparantly crazy (in an absolutely positive way!) when it comes to Guns N' Roses and therefore not really representative. :D

I'd love it if they did Chinese Democracy from start to finish each night, then hit Jungle and all the hits after.

People already leave an hour early because it gets too late for them. If you play no hits for the first half of the night, twice as many people will leave early.

At the Chicago show I attended last month people around me were singling alone to the new songs, I think they are catching on. Either that, or they were hardcore fans lie myself. Either way, they are good songs and people will like them as they hear* them.

Not really fans if they leave just cos haven't play Jungle or Sweet is it?

Say what you want about them but the stadium will be emptying halfway out regardless. The hits need to be mixed in throughout the show, as they are currently. Jungle near the beginning, Sweet Child and November Rain in the middle, and Paradise City at the end is a good layout.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

when Axl wants to play the massive venues then he has to play all those classic old songs. Pretty simple.

If your theory is right then new tracks @ at the shows in the run up to New Year is a distinct possibility.