I wonder what the next big thing in music will be?

Georgy Zhukov

In the 70's arena rock and over the top prog bands lead to the punk movement.

In the 80's glam metal lead to the grunge of the 90's.

Then game the garage rock revival of the 00's

Now that everything seems to be computerized and autotuned it seems this movement will eventually become unpopular and a joke which will lead to another movement, perhaps a more stripped down back to the basics. What do you think?

There hasn't really been a credible new big scene since the 90's. The garage rock scene was a sign that so called rock musicians had run out of ideas, or they just weren't willing to push themselves further. I shutter when I hear retro garbage like Wolfmother or The Sheepdogs.

I now understand why Baby boomers and people who grew up in the 70's and 80's never understood the hype around garage rock revival bands because they sound like garage bands they or their friends played in. Not necessarily skilled musicians or good songwriters just like the garage rock revival of the 00's.

Yeah I hated the retro rock bands. I think rock musicians truly have run out of ideas. Everyone is going electronic, stuck in post-grunge, experimental or just finished.

I do enjoy The Strokes, Kings of Leon before the third album and The White Stripes. I know none of it is original but at least they sound good. Everything burned out in the 90's.

Musical instruments seem to be irrelevant now.

Edited by BirdCatcher

It seems like it's Dub-step. Which has some cool elements but has been completely bastardized (especially by Americans) and now when people think of the music all they think of is big stupid wobbly bass.

It's hard to say what the "next big movement" will be. The internet presents two problems;

1. When a type of sound starts nowadays it doesn't have time to develop in the underground so you get fully formed bands with real commercial appeal (like how grunge existed for years until bands developed it into something bigger like Nirvana and Alice in Chains). So you get things like "chillwave" which maybe could have been cool eventually but because it got noticed so quick you had every third douchebag around the world making an album off the style and before the sound could even develop people are sick of it or have written it off. Could you imagine if that happened with grunge in say 1985? People like Kurt would have been turned off the sound before they even made Bleach.

2. It's so easy for everyone to access any music they want nowadays on the internet for free everyone can find stuff individually they like instead of only being exposed to crap in the mainstream and then having a new artistic movement put in their face.

This isn't the answer I would like to give but it's how I feel :(

I agree with #2. Its hard to say anything will be big given how access to music is so different. In the 90s MTV and the radio carried more clout and therefore more people were listening to the same thing. Now, you can find a niche and never leave it. In the 90s if you liked, I dont know, scandanavian black metal, you had to dig hard to find it. Now you can just click the genre on Spotify and you're off. Thats why to me there will never be a musician as big as say Dylan or the Stones. The last one we had that was close was Eminem. I say that in terms of reach and scope of their audience, so dont light me up Dylan fans. So with that, whatever the next big thing is, it wont have nearly the effect or reach that a "next big thing" used to.

Now that everything seems to be computerized and autotuned it seems this movement will eventually become unpopular and a joke which will lead to another movement, perhaps a more stripped down back to the basics. What do you think?

Stripped down? Back to the basics? That sounds a lot like Grunge to me. In fact, there has been a lot of 90's revivals/ nostalgia acts. I think that the next big thing will sound a bit similar to that decade (fusing elements of genres like Grunge, Groove/ Alt/ Industrial/ Nu Metal and Alternative Rock (some Britpop stuff too, like Oasis).

Any movement takes groups of people for it to happen,and it's an organic movement. But once it makes it big, the record companies start trying to replicate the formula,and it just floods the market with inferior stuff.

Anything technology related in music has its place. You can shape and form a really good song into almost any genre. Technology can help a song move along, whether you're talking about composing or editing, but it can also create problems.

There's no real movement, but a kid can record himself in his bedroom, put it up on You Tube (even if there's no video), and if he or she is good, word of mouth will spread.

With technology, for every person that says it ruins music, there will be someone who says it's great for it. There is a happy medium. With technology as someone here said, a kid can record himself in his room and without even a video, just the music, and word of mouth (not just internet but in schools) will spread. To me, that is one of the greatest things to happen to music in a very long time. But with that, comes the end of the "scene" era of music in all genres, which I'm sad to see go.

I'm more interested in how rock music, in particular, will be perceived in the coming years. It will surely still be a main genre but it's like, where does it go from here? The bands who were big in the 90's: Metallica, GNR, U2, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, are still the ones who are considered the biggest bands out there in 2011. Rock needs new big, massive bands. I'm sorry but, as much as I love the Black Keys (2 Brothers Fronting, no band aspect), rock needs the opposite of that, in terms of image I mean. Led Zeppelin<Aerosmith<GNR< Who carries the torch?

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

With technology, for every person that says it ruins music, there will be someone who says it's great for it. There is a happy medium. With technology as someone here said, a kid can record himself in his room and without even a video, just the music, and word of mouth (not just internet but in schools) will spread. To me, that is one of the greatest things to happen to music in a very long time. But with that, comes the end of the "scene" era of music in all genres, which I'm sad to see go.

I'm more interested in how rock music, in particular, will be perceived in the coming years. It will surely still be a main genre but it's like, where does it go from here? The bands who were big in the 90's: Metallica, GNR, U2, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, are still the ones who are considered the biggest bands out there in 2011. Rock needs new big, massive bands. I'm sorry but, as much as I love the Black Keys (2 Brothers Fronting, no band aspect), rock needs the opposite of that, in terms of image I mean. Led Zeppelin<Aerosmith<GNR< Who carries the torch?

I think people sit on their asses waiting for something new to come along, but should be picking up an instrument and coming up with something innovative.

U2 really came from nothing. Edge was so poor he and his brother built a guitar out of scrap parts, his bro was handy with electronics. They didn't even have the luxury of buying something from a pawn shop. Say what you will about U2, they built that whole thing. Bono was just this annoying kid who couldn't sing, but his perseverance wore them down. GNR, Crue and VH were cobbled together just because they migrated to LA, which is something that isn't as important now as it was then.

Back in the day they signed and supported actual bands though and not just another product for whatever watered down trend is hip at the time, all the space taken by clones like that could be used by actual innovative artists but those things fly off the shelves as they are all look the same as eachother. I honestly don't know if newer bands can be that big and iconic again in the current climate.

Back in the day they signed and supported actual bands though and not just another product for whatever watered down trend is hip at the time, all the space taken by clones like that could be used by actual innovative artists but those things fly off the shelves as they are all look the same as eachother. I honestly don't know if newer bands can be that big and iconic again in the current climate.

Frank Zappa talked about what changed in the music industry, and keep in mind this was an interview in the 80s.

I think people sit on their asses waiting for something new to come along, but should be picking up an instrument and coming up with something innovative.

U2 really came from nothing. Edge was so poor he and his brother built a guitar out of scrap parts, his bro was handy with electronics. They didn't even have the luxury of buying something from a pawn shop. Say what you will about U2, they built that whole thing. Bono was just this annoying kid who couldn't sing, but his perseverance wore them down. GNR, Crue and VH were cobbled together just because they migrated to LA, which is something that isn't as important now as it was then.

As David Lee Roth said to Axl and Baz in the late 80's. These new bands are nothing but pretenders to the throne.

Guest Len B'stard

Music industry ain't the same anymore and if you keep looking at it from a perspective of how things "used to be" and applying that template to why things ain't happening the way you used to then you ain't gonna come to an understanding about nothing. Just cuz things don't happen in the same way that they used to (whatever that way or those ways may be) don't mean that things ain't gonna kick off. People tend to look at this shit the wrong way, instead of trying to recreate a tired old framework (that collapsed because it's no longer relevant) try look at current situation and how bands/artists might manipulate or use that to break through, this idea that it used to be like such and such but it's not anymore and thats why there ain't no big thing kicking off is sort of the wrong way of looking at it.

The music industry dynamic is constantly changing and evolving and it's the people that change and evolve with it that make it and the ones that don't that wither and die. This is why there is no space for puritans in the mainstream musical market, because they're too ridgid and sort of contrary to the nature of the beast, which is basically money, profiteering if you like.

At the forefront of every great musical movement there's a couple of like...renegade maverick type guys that assessed a given situation and exploited or used or created gaps in the market, women and men of vision who blazed a trail, like Berry Gordy etc, Leonard Chess, y'know, folks like that, folks that wouldn't've gotten out of the stalls if they'd've sat there going "it used to be such and such supported bands and that why shit kicked off", fuck that, that mentality doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Also, i think the reason shit is like it is is that bands that get into this shit don't have a business mind, which to some degree you've got to have, a lot of people see that as anathema but quite frankly it's the nature of the game, you can't just sit there playing your local wherevers and moaning about lack of support, won't get you anywhere. That's just basic life shit though, you gotta get up off your cheeks and make your situation better.

I think the sort of people that sit around wondering what the next big thing is gonna be are the people of the last big thing. Nothing in the music industry has ever "come back" so if you're waiting for punk to come back or hip hop to come back or rock n roll to come back, you got a long wait cuz nothing ever comes back and it never has. That, i think, is more the problem here than anything else. It's people wanting some old shit again because music journalists and music press and as a result, audience members are constantly writing the history books in their hearts and minds which has made it so the industry and music fans are in this constant state of nostaligia.

I think some people have trouble coming to terms with the fact that their day is done. Maybe the reason why you can't see the next big thing is cuz the next big thing has got nothing to do with you. Or maybe it's just that it's that entire mentality, that kind of waiting for history to happen mentality that has made it so you couldn't see the next big thing if it was right under your nose, maybe it's about doing and not seeking.

Edited by sugaraylen

that cunt skrillex will be the biggest act in the world and we will experience the total commercialization of house music. further down the line the Great Arena Rock Purge of 2014 will make groups such as coldplay and u2 obsolete when stadiums and festival fields alike are taken over by djs. david bowie's remains are launched into space. katy perry will be this generation's vera lynn when ww3 rolls along.