Rock in Rio III ...

KoolMonkey

I keep finding myself watching clips from this show on youtube. There was just so much going on during that show and the energy was amazing. Was this a one off performance by GNR 2.0, or were there other concerts around that time that were just as good. The solos on Mr Brownstone by Bucket and Robin were epicl. I'd love to see pro shot material of this concert if anyone knows of it's existence.

What was it about this show that has me transfixed. It's GNR alright, and with previous members playing, but it just seems so much different than the current performances. Not in a bad way, as I love the current stuff too. But the RIR concert seems pretty special to me.

There's a thread somewhere on the forum, probably the past concerts section, that says that the crowd made the show. I've always agreed with that. Axl sounds awful for most of the show, but the crowd is so into it and the energy is amazing. During Buckethead's solo in Welcome to the Jungle, there's a good clip of the crowd just bouncing like crazy. Hell, there's tons of clips of the crowd going nuts. Fun show to watch as a sort of "transitional" period for Guns N' Roses. First major show for the then-new line-up so there was obviously lots of pressure and the band was probably still getting a feel for things so it's very cool to watch.

Tons of great solos from Buckethead as well. His It's So Easy end solo would be worth the price of a ticket to that show alone.

Tons of great solos from Buckethead as well. His It's So Easy end solo would be worth the price of a ticket to that show alone.

I like it, but the solo is his standart lick played over and over so nothing special to me - Axl's lil rant made the song for me. Are you listening me mr. security man? THAT GUY!

It's one of my favorite GN'R show of all time. Come to think of it, in terms of my most favorite GN'R shows of all time, so many nu-GN'R shows come to mind. RIR in '99, LA in '06, RIR in '06, Inland Invasion '06, after those then some old stuff starts coming to mind.

It's amazing how amazing the new band, in all its forms, can play the old (and new) tunes and how much energy they get from the crowd.

I like it, but the solo is his standart lick played over and over so nothing special to me - Axl's lil rant made the song for me. Are you listening me mr. security man? THAT GUY!

THAT GUY! GONE!

I've always wondered if that part was staged..

For me the Rio show feat. Buckethead and Robin really felt like the *new* GN'R. It was nothing like the old *classic* GN'R - that sound was long gone. I took the band for what it was, and liked Buckethead's take on the old songs, and Robin's work on the new songs. That was the time they should have released Chinese Democracy and gone on a full blown tour. And maybe worked on new music along the way, and released a speical edition of Chinese Democracy feat. a studio recording of AFD.

For reasons unknown, they all fucked off and vanished as per usual - It all became stale. Then the band members begun to exit one by one.

Then out the blue, the Best Buy deal (how unrock n'roll) complete with new manager (which didn't last long) and 3 new members, 2 of which added some extra layers (not required) to Chinese Democracy- came along. The album appeared to be rushed out, after so many years of delay's. It felt wrong. The reasons, unclear. The current 2011 line up seem be somewhere between the new GN'R and the classic GN'R. They appeared to have stuck with the Chinese theme, even although it fitted Buckethead and Robin so much more.

For this new line up to succeed, they need to come up with something new, other than covers of old songs.

Edited by vaida

Oh god, I remember downloading the video files in pretty mediocre quality with monumental 64kb for HOURS. :rofl-lol:

I picked up a copy on VHS video - remember those - that's how long ago it was :D

Oooooh yeah - I started working in a video rental before the silver disc invasion.

For me the Rio show feat. Buckethead and Robin really felt like the *new* GN'R. It was nothing like the old *classic* GN'R - that sound was long gone. I took the band for what it was, and liked Buckethead's take on the old songs, and Robin's work on the new songs. That was the time they should have released Chinese Democracy and gone on a full blown tour. And maybe worked on new music along the way, and released a speical edition of Chinese Democracy feat. a studio recording of AFD.

For reasons unknown, they all fucked off and vanished as per usual - It all became stale. Then the band members begun to exit one by one.

Then out the blue, the Best Buy deal (how unrock n'roll) complete with new manager (which didn't last long) and 3 new members, 2 of which added some extra layers (not required) to Chinese Democracy- came along. The album appeared to be rushed out, after so many years of delay's. It felt wrong. The reasons, unclear. The current 2011 line up seem be somewhere between the new GN'R and the classic GN'R. They appeared to have stuck with the Chinese theme, even although it fitted Buckethead and Robin so much more.

For this new line up to succeed, they need to come up with something new, other than covers of old songs.

A nice read. RIR 3 shows us nuGNR all guns blazing. While Axl's voice wasn't the best, they as a band were killing it. It's a shame CD didn't come out at that time.

I'm so hoping we get CD2 and CD3 because I want to hear all the songs they made. But as well as being able to hear them, I'm looking forward to seeing what GNR 3.0 can come up with once they have finally signed off on all the CD catalog.

I loved this lineup. It was like a freakshow! I really think it would have survived if Axl had called the band something else. It was such an interesting show to watch back then. If Axl could team up with Buckethead and Robin for a side project it would be amazing!

That was definitely a transitional period. I like that version of the band, but GNR in 2011 sounds more like GNR than the 2001 version.

Too bad nothing ever happened with silkworms as far as getting released.

To me they were both GNR. Fucking amazing lineups.

Talk about mixed feelings for a show. I could write a fucking essay about how I fell looking back on it now for the first time in a good number of years. First off, Axl doesn't sound half as bad as I remembered. A lot better then he did at this years Rio. Looks wise he was pretty good too, the media exaggerated his weight like usual and the only good that did was to take press away from the fact that his voice wasn't where it needed to be. Those are the negatives , as for the positives , try everything else. As stated earlier the crowd and the buildup to the show creates that powderkeg like atmosphere and thats why we all hold this show so close in our hearts. The pro-shot aspect doesn't hurt either.

That band is out of this world on all fronts. I wish we could get a deeper account of Paul's time with the band, as Axl states that without him there would be no more Guns N' Roses. It would be super interesting to hear his perspective from when he entered the band to this Rio show. Imagine you join one of the biggest bands on earth and slowly it disintegrates and you get the balme put on you? Then you stick around to see it get reassembled and have everyone on earth doubt you. This show was his pay off, and even if he didn't stick around for to much longer I hope he realized what an acomplishment it was to put this show on. We as fans really owe this guy a debt for keeping Axl from running off the rails when no one else was watching.

The drumming is as good as it ever got in a live setting for this era of Guns. Just adds a whole new dimension to the songs. Axl making sure that Chris was up there for the synth and the effects was a big step showing you just how important he thought that sound was. Axl was wearing his influences on his sleeve and that wasn't a bad thing. Seeing Bucket and Robin together doing the little duet before "My Michelle" is the saddest part of the whole thing. Just gives me such a sense of what could have been. You can see in that moment exactly what Axl envisioned and that despite the critics not wanting it to, it could work. There could be life after Slash, and even if it took 2 (or 3) guys they were doing it. It could of been something so much more if they could of held it together.

I guess almost like the original lineup , the personalities were just never destined to be together. Which is a shame because even though this lineup never would of been given a fair shake based on their look, it wouldn't of mattered. We would of known that we had a band that could play as equals with any other band in the world. We have that now, but god we could of had it a fucking decade ago. Thats 10 more years of shows we could of had Axl play. I remember reading that Bucket left the band, then saw a copy of this show and got so inspired that he rejoined. I can see how it would of been fustrating to record constantly and never have anything to show for it. And maybe I'm just selfish because god damn if you give me Slash/Izzy or Bucket/Robin or Bumble/DJ we have been so spoiled as fans of this band on strictly a guitar level. What a show, what a line up, what a band, thanks for the topic this was a cool memory.

Always gets me near tears. Just... that energy, the Brazilian crowd, 8 long years without GN'R and then this... one can only imagine what was going through their heads when Axl welcomed them back to the Jungle. Just fucking amazing.

I also fucking loved this year's performance of Estranged. There's a guy in the crowd at one point who looks like the happiest guy in the universe and, although it's raining, it's clear he's crying tears of joy.

I can't describe how amazing was to hear Estranged. When the set of lights for Estranged appear i thought "fuck, i hope they come with some surprise now" and then Axl came singing and i went nuts, litteraly, i just start hugging some person next to me and he was fuckin' crazy with that too, we start jumping and everyone was like "OMG ESTRANGED". Amazing what GN'R provoke on his fans.