how good is axl on the piano?

There Was A Time

I really like listening to his playing is he underrated as a pianist or do i know absolutely nothing?

Axl has done the piano on Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive and other stuff. He does some piano pieces live before November Rain which he also did piano on. He also played the piano on the studio version of This I Love.

He's pretty good.

I believe he's "average" as far as famous pianists go. He's a really a singer though. He "gets by" I guess you could say.

Oh I feel like an asshole for not noticing your post.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Apparently he was a good guitar player too.

He says he doesn't play guitar often due to "lack of talent."

Not what Duff said

Oh, I guess Axl was just being modest then.

I think Duff said he played like he was playing for years when he only started learning. Slash acted like Axl wanted to play lead guitar. Duff also said he was better than Izzy.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Technical wise, who knows. He could be playing crazy piano concertos in his spare time for all we know.

As far as the piano parts in Guns songs, as good as they sound, none are overly complicated. On Estranged, for example, aside from the first four bars of the piano solo, the piano is mostly just basic chords and chord changes with a few extra notes here and there to add some color. The "craziest" part in Estranged as far as the piano goes is the doubling of the "I see the storm getting closer..." melody. It's proof that sometimes less is more.

So, basically, Axl could be extremely talented on the piano in terms of playing skill, but when he writes, he writes what is right for the song. It's his choice of chord changes and arrangement that make the songs interesting. The second half of Estranged is basically just C G and F over and over, but the way it moves is kind of unusual in terms of song structure. That's why it sounds a little different but yet so right. He's also quite good with very flowing key changes.

Axl is good on piano but not the best. He's a better songwriter than player...which is probably more important.

He's better than Dizzy.

im not agreeing or disagreeing with you but what are you basing your argument on? Dizzy plays what Axl has written, and I have yet to hear what Dizzy can do songwriting wise on piano.

Axl is good on piano but not the best. He's a better songwriter than player...which is probably more important.

He's better than Dizzy.

im not agreeing or disagreeing with you but what are you basing your argument on? Dizzy plays what Axl has written, and I have yet to hear what Dizzy can do songwriting wise on piano.

I'm fairly sure Dizzy wrote the SOD paino parts.

Technical wise, who knows. He could be playing crazy piano concertos in his spare time for all we know.

As far as the piano parts in Guns songs, as good as they sound, none are overly complicated. On Estranged, for example, aside from the first four bars of the piano solo, the piano is mostly just basic chords and chord changes with a few extra notes here and there to add some color. The "craziest" part in Estranged as far as the piano goes is the doubling of the "I see the storm getting closer..." melody. It's proof that sometimes less is more.

So, basically, Axl could be extremely talented on the piano in terms of playing skill, but when he writes, he writes what is right for the song. It's his choice of chord changes and arrangement that make the songs interesting. The second half of Estranged is basically just C G and F over and over, but the way it moves is kind of unusual in terms of song structure. That's why it sounds a little different but yet so right. He's also quite good with very flowing key changes.

This.

Axl does some piano shredding on the NR intro from the Tokyo DVD that is pretty awesome

Is that the same from Live Era? It sounded jazzy to me.

Yeah I believe its from the same show, its really cool - but I haven't heard another show yet where he shreds like that

Edited by WhazUp

Completely agree. If he is indeed a really good pianist, he has yet to show it live with Guns. He could be great for all we know, but it's not like we ever hear him playing Franz Liszt for his solo or anything.

He's better than Dizzy.

No...

Axl is a pretty stiff piano player. Dizzy is far superior. It's part of the reason why he hired him.

Stiff how? I have only played keyboards for a year(play guitar and bass much more) and would like to know what constitutes to stiff piano technique? Not arguing with you at all :)

He's better than Dizzy.

No...

Axl is a pretty stiff piano player. Dizzy is far superior. It's part of the reason why he hired him.

Stiff how? I have only played keyboards for a year(play guitar and bass much more) and would like to know what constitutes to stiff piano technique? Not arguing with you at all :)

I remember it was mentioned somewhere that Axl chose Dizzy for the band because he (Dizzy) had not had classical training as a pianist and had a more "blue-sy feel". We know that Axl has had classical piano training when he was younger (he has mentioned it several times with reference to his step-father).

I agree that Axl's stiffer on piano but I think that's just his style when playing songs like November Rain. He tends to slam down harshly on the keys to create a sharper and more powerful sound but the first half of the song is just a simple cord progression. He probably wrote the piano piece to that song with singing in mind and thus kept it simple yet powerful for effect (very "Elton John"-esq). Mind you, while the first half of the song is a breeze to play, the end bridge KILLS me! It seems easy and fun to play at first but if you try to follow all the improvisations Axl makes the more 'into' the song he gets.... lets just say it took me a VERY long time to get there.

I think when Axl plays the piano, he does so with composing a song in mind, not for practice (I think Slash said he is like that with the guitar). I respect that a lot because the idea that one could be so musically inclined and in tune with an instrument that they could reproduce a song in their head through that instrument... it just blows my mind. :D

Technically Dizzy plays better in the concerts. He has more of a flow when playing (eg; the right amount of crescendo/decrescendo) but that is kind of a given since he is a pianist/keyboardist.

Edited by KiraMPD