One thing that I always hate in GnR show reviews

GunsNRevolvers2

It may not be as present as it used to be, but I actually got into an argument with an uncle of mine today at christmas over the same subject.

I'm sure many of you have seen a line like this, or very similar, in various GnR concert reviews:

"Guns trio of guitars proved worthy throughout the night but it was disappointing to see that Axl needed to institute three guitar players to fill the void that Slash left in the band"

Now, obviously the argument is bad to start off with, because in most cases a lead, and rhythm guitar player make up the guitar sound of a band, generally. It wasn't like Slash created and played every guitar recorded for Guns prior to ChiDem.

Second, and this bugs me the most, is that people honestly state that, and believe it. To me, if you're job is to review music you should probably know that it doesn't take a combination of these 3 guitarists to reach and play to Slash's ability. Just because 1 guy plays the first solo in November Rain, and a different guy plays the 2nd solo, doesn't mean that a guitarist "can't handle" Slash's solo.

If you're reviewing music, and you honestly think that a guy that plays a guitar as his lifelong profession and career, can't play the solo to November Rain etc etc that any 13 year old taking guitar lessons for a year could handle, then you're just not allowed to be associated with anything in music again, ever.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to bring it up..maybe create a discussion thats a bit off the norm around here.

It may not be as present as it used to be, but I actually got into an argument with an uncle of mine today at christmas over the same subject.

I'm sure many of you have seen a line like this, or very similar, in various GnR concert reviews:

"Guns trio of guitars proved worthy throughout the night but it was disappointing to see that Axl needed to institute three guitar players to fill the void that Slash left in the band"

Now, obviously the argument is bad to start off with, because in most cases a lead, and rhythm guitar player make up the guitar sound of a band, generally. It wasn't like Slash created and played every guitar recorded for Guns prior to ChiDem.

Second, and this bugs me the most, is that people honestly state that, and believe it. To me, if you're job is to review music you should probably know that it doesn't take a combination of these 3 guitarists to reach and play to Slash's ability. Just because 1 guy plays the first solo in November Rain, and a different guy plays the 2nd solo, doesn't mean that a guitarist "can't handle" Slash's solo.

If you're reviewing music, and you honestly think that a guy that plays a guitar as his lifelong profession and career, can't play the solo to November Rain etc etc that any 13 year old taking guitar lessons for a year could handle, then you're just not allowed to be associated with anything in music again, ever.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to bring it up..maybe create a discussion thats a bit off the norm around here.

I agree. Axl has 3 guitarists to give the band a powerful sound not because he needs 3 guitars to cover slash's parts.

For the sake of this argument lets throw DJ out of the picture because he is not essential in covering any of the parts...

Bumblefoot and Fortus can cover all the Slash/Buckethead/Finck parts --- but on the flip side, Slash and Izzy could not play all the Buckethead/Bumblefoot parts. So technically who is the better guitar lineup?? hmmm....

Edited by Danker

I agree. Axl has 3 guitarists to give the band a powerful sound not because he needs 3 guitars to cover slash's parts.

For the sake of this argument lets throw DJ out of the picture because he is not essential in covering any of the parts...

Bumblefoot and Fortus can cover all the Slash/Buckethead/Finck parts --- but on the flip side, Slash and Izzy could not play all the Buckethead/Bumblefoot parts. So technically who is the better guitar lineup?? hmmm....

And that is based on what? They are professional musicians - I'm sure they would be just fine.

And that is based on what? They are professional musicians - I'm sure they would be just fine.

If you think they could, your knowledge of guitar playing is very limited. It would be worse than watching Finck try to cover Slash.

you don't have any concept of the difference between "blues based" guitar playing and "virtuoso style" guitar playing do you?? I really was hesitant to even reply to this ignorant post but hey-- its Christmas! :thumbsup:

Edited by Danker

Foo Fighters have 3 guitarists now. It just sounds bigger.

I agree. 3 guitars just has a massive epic arena-ready sound that you cant get with only 2. November Rain at the Seattle show last Friday was the most powerful thing I've ever witnessed. It was just an onslaught of sonic power and emotion, probably due to the triple guitar lineup....even DJ was pretty damn awesome from what I could hear from the stands....but being in the moment at the show is different than sitting at home analyzing a soundboard recording, so who knows how good DJ actually was. regardless, my experience was amazing and the best concert of my life!!!

Edited by Danker

Basically, I think we all agree that the 3 guitars brings a show to a whole new level (bringing up how the Foo's do the same now was a great point) great examples being on songs like Sorry, November Rain, Civil War, Whole Lotta Rosie, Nightrain, Shacklers, Paradise City among others.

Also, as a Slashite, even I agree that Slash would have trouble with some of the Bucket parts that Bumblefoot handles now, unless Slash has a secret virtuoso background im unaware of

I like the three guitar approach.

I also like the gettem Slash approach.

They are just different.

Slash has his a very unique tone that many have tried to duplicate

And failed.

You can get the les pauls and the marshals but you can't take his right hand.

The new band is just going for something different. Def more virtuosity. ( is that a word?)

And its not that slash can't play fast. His style is just different. His right hand attacks the notes in a way that is his own. Others can play the notes, but I can def tell when It's Slash playing. I was listening to Stoke today and I must say all the Slash hating is unwarranted.

He is much cleaner, meaner and faster, but it's still him( I know I sound like a mega nutthugger right now but I believe it is deserved) But the new guys are great guitarist especially Ron n dick.... They play the notes and do them justice. Bumble is prolly one of the most technically advanced guitarist out there. He is a very exciting to watch and very creative. I wish Axl would unlease this lineup as writers.Axl/ bumble/ Ashba written songs will be great I think.

Rambling over: but I like three guitar senario.

I just picture an uncle and his nephew downing egg nog debating GNR.

santa-drunk.jpg

They are just different.

And failed.

The new band is just going for something different. Def more virtuosity. ( is that a word?)

And its not that slash can't play fast. His style is just different. His right hand attacks the notes in a way that is his own. Others can play the notes, but I can def tell when It's Slash playing. I was listening to Stoke today and I must say all the Slash hating is unwarranted.

He is much cleaner, meaner and faster, but it's still him( I know I sound like a mega nutthugger right now but I believe it is deserved) But the new guys are great guitarist especially Ron n dick.... They play the notes and do them justice. Bumble is prolly one of the most technically advanced guitarist out there. He is a very exciting to watch and very creative. I wish Axl would unlease this lineup as writers.Axl/ bumble/ Ashba written songs will be great I think.

I will say this. I'd like to hear your views on it.

Slash has been playing basically the same solo, or variation of it since he bailed on the Snakepit project. I felt Axl and Izzy's songwriting pushed Slash as a writer of guitar parts. During the Snakepit years (especially the 2nd album) he wrote some really creative stuff because he had something to prove and a chip on his shoulder. Ever since Velvet into his Solo ventures he has been rehashing what seems like variations of the same solo over and over...The solo i'm talking about is in "Slither", and If i had my CDs in front of me right now I'd cite you some examples from GNRs old records. Do you know what i'm talking about and/or do you agree???

DISCLAIMER: Im not trying to get a rise out of Slash-ites!!! I am a huge Slash fan. I just don't like what he's done recently. Hell, I bought a Marshall and a Les Paul when I was in high school just to try to get that Slash tone. I just want to discuss what I think is a slight issue with Slash's recent projects.

Edited by Danker

I just picture an uncle and his nephew downing egg nog debating GNR.

santa-drunk.jpg

Yea well that's basically what it was, Budweisers and the Patriots game turned into ironically enough, egg nog and rum with a long debate about GnR (because I brought up how I just saw them last month in Worcester, MA) and I'm 19, he's 45, and he's not the biggest Guns fan ever, he's just one of those guys that basically made up his mind to never accept a new GnR. After about 45 minutes, the discussion changed to wrestling, and thats when my cousins who are 3, and 5 years older than me chimed in about how much the "WWE" sucks now compared to the WWF Attitude days.

Interesting holiday.

They are just different.

And failed.

Slash has been playing basically the same solo, or variation of it since he bailed on the Snakepit project. I felt Axl and Izzy's songwriting pushed Slash as a writer of guitar parts. During the Snakepit years (especially the 2nd album) he wrote some really creative stuff because he had something to prove and a chip on his shoulder. Ever since Velvet into his Solo ventures he has been rehashing what seems like variations of the same solo over and over...The solo i'm talking about is in "Slither", and If i had my CDs in front of me right now I'd cite you some examples from GNRs old records. Do you know what i'm talking about and/or do you agree???

DISCLAIMER: Im not trying to get a rise out of Slash-ites!!! I am a huge Slash fan. I just don't like what he's done recently. Hell, I bought a Marshall and a Les Paul when I was in high school just to try to get that Slash tone. I just want to discuss what I think is a slight issue with Slash's recent projects.

I'll grant the Slash playing the same solo point on everything but the first velvet revolver record. That album was actually fairly unique for slash as far as guitar playing and about as creative as we'll see him. The guitars had many layers, riffs and solos weren't limited to minor pentatonic, and he even experimented with using other guitars. Though all of that might be due to the influence of Dave Kushner as a more experimental guitarist and Duff who has always seemed to steer Slash in a better direction. Lastly Scott who from reading interviews threw out anything that sounded like one of Slash's aerosmith/rolling stone bastard love children.

As for the 3 guitars, I don't see the problem. It sounds better, the way songs sound on the album are better replicated. All the guys are talented and charismatic. I've never viewed the distributing of Slash's solos as giving parts one can't play to another. I viewed it more as the spotlight being evenly distributed, and maybe certain guys like playing certain solos better than others. The three guitarists aren't there to replace slash. They just play his parts, but they're in the band based on their own merits. You think Bumble and Bucket were added for the likeness to Slash? No.

They are just different.

And failed.

I'll grant the Slash playing the same solo point on everything but the first velvet revolver record. That album was actually fairly unique for slash as far as guitar playing and about as creative as we'll see him. The guitars had many layers, riffs and solos weren't limited to minor pentatonic, and he even experimented with using other guitars. Though all of that might be due to the influence of Dave Kushner as a more experimental guitarist and Duff who has always seemed to steer Slash in a better direction. Lastly Scott who from reading interviews threw out anything that sounded like one of Slash's aerosmith/rolling stone bastard love children.

As for the 3 guitars, I don't see the problem. It sounds better, the way songs sound on the album are better replicated. All the guys are talented and charismatic. I've never viewed the distributing of Slash's solos as giving parts one can't play to another. I viewed it more as the spotlight being evenly distributed, and maybe certain guys like playing certain solos better than others. The three guitarists aren't there to replace slash. They just play his parts, but they're in the band based on their own merits. You think Bumble and Bucket were added for the likeness to Slash? No.

I agree with what you said about velvet's first cd and it being more of a stretch from "that one solo Slash always does", but its also funny that I cited the solo from "Slither" to explain what I was talking about in regards to that "one solo". ha ha ;-)

Funny thing about Bumble - the only reason he is there is to play Bucket's parts. Any other guitar player that would be able to pull off Bucket's solos already has a well known career as a solo viruoso guitarist probably (Yngwie, Vai etc.) or is getting paid a shit ton of $$$ for doing session work. Its a rarity to find guys with that skillset that don't want to completely branch out solo. Bumblefoot was quite the find, because Bucket already had a reputation as a solo artist, but Bumble not so much yet he has that level of skill needed to play those intensely difficult parts.

I think most guitarists know all of that. Music critics aren't necessarily musicians haha

I do not judge a musicians worth by how well they can play. For me, it's how well they can write songs. If I were starting a band today and could have anyone alive or dead in it, I'd defiantly take someone like Lennon over Satriani.

Heck even Fortus is not essential. Bumble alone could play everything the others ever did.

Heck even Fortus is not essential. Bumble alone could play everything the others ever did.

But Fortus brings enthusiasm to the gigs! He is what I imagine Izzy would have been like in the Hollywood Rose days; jumping and knee-sliding all over the place! XD

Its a joy to watch both Fortus and Bumblefoot perform onstage.

But Fortus brings enthusiasm to the gigs! He is what I imagine Izzy would have been like in the Hollywood Rose days; jumping and knee-sliding all over the place! XD

Let's not forget DJ doing the running man!

Yeah it's not essential to have all three when they're in the studio, but together they put on a hell of a live show. Why it would bother the reviewers is beyond me, three great guitarists is obviously better than one. I don't recall anyone ever saying that Robert Palmer should have used just one in his Addicted To Love video :lol:

robertpalmer-addicted-to-love.jpg

I'm not sure DJ could handle all of Slash's parts properly on his own ( I mean...we've heard his take on the SCOM wah part...there is also a reason why neither of his solo spots are impressive technically ) but the two others obviously could without any trouble.

When? Was it one of the acoutic gigs??? I've not really watched them in depth yet. Every bootleg or pro-shot I've seen (and when I saw them live) DJ plays the first section of that solo and Ron comes in when the wah kicks in (similar to the way they do YCBM and Rocket Queen).

Edited by MJG