Ignoring the instrumental side of Chinese Democracy..

vaida

Ignoring the instrumental side of Chinese Democracy how would you sum up each song (lyrics) in a single sentence ?

Chinese Democracy - Views on China - anti Chinese Government

Shacklers Revenge - Cartoony - some guy (Eddie - Iron Maiden) roaming around with a gun - up to no good

Better - Self pitty, attempting to rise above that feeling

Street Of Dreams - What was once has and now gone

If The World -

There Was A Time - Looking back - someone you would do anything for (back then)

Catcher In The Rye - ?

Scraped - Don't tell me what to do!

Riad N' The Bedouins - I had to Google *Riad* and *Bedouins*

Riad - Moroccan house

Bedouins - Nomad Arab peoples of the Middle East

So is the song about Arabs's and their houses ?

Sorry - Feeling sorry for someone - for whatever reason ?

IRS - Sounds like one huge rant

Madagascar - Being brought down by a deep situation

This I Love - about an Ex

Prostitute - Selling your self for the bling in life

Edited by vaida

Chinese Democracy: about how people want you do so something, but you don't want to do it because they can fuck off.

Shacklers Revenge: about how you can get a gun and kill people who are telling you what to do

Better: about how other people want to hurt you and take advantage of you and you should have known better, but now you do and you will show them how you are better than them eventually

Street of Dreams: about how people leave you and take things away from you and how it can make you sad

If The World: about how if the world were to end Axl would never get to experience real romantic fulfillment

The Was a Time: about how some women are druggie whores who want to hurt you, even if they once seemed like they loved you

Catcher: about how certain people make you want to kill people, and also how the book Catcher in the Rye is garbage and should be banned because it led to John Lennon's tragic murder

Scrapped: About how sometimes people try to make you feel bad by telling you what to do, but that you should just do whatever you want and believe in yourself

Riad: Arabs

Sorry: about not accepting apologies from people who you think are trying to look down on you or tell you what to do.

IRS: about doing whatever you have to do to make a situation right after someone tries to steal from you or otherwise take advantage of you

Madagascar: about how people tear down you soul, intentionally or unintentionally, and how you have to be strong to deal with it but also strong enough to forgive their souls, even if they're not asking for forgiveness or they're still hurting you, and how lonely they can make you feel (like an island, which is what Madagascar is)

This I Love: about how you can love something so purely and perfectly, but they can still leave you and hurt you, but you still love them and want them to know that

Prostitute: about how other people will try and force you to do things you don't want to do, but how you will be stronger if you stay true to yourself and don't do it.

Riad - Moroccan house

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=174675&st=0&p=2845132&hl=booklet&fromsearch=1entry2845132

(transcribed from alternative booklet)

Also: did you seriously not know what a Bedouin is?

Riad - Moroccan house

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=174675&st=0&p=2845132&hl=booklet&fromsearch=1entry2845132

seriously - i had never heard the word bedouin prior to the release of the song

Edited by vaida

Riad - Moroccan house

I take you haven't graduated high school yet or from the deep south?

Edited by BirdCatcher

Riad - Moroccan house

lol

i always though the lyrics were referring to the Saudi Arab's capital Riyadh... or the arab world in genreal.

also i think the HoB/RIO version included the lyric : "Half the time they are nomads or Aryans"...

Riad - Moroccan house

People in the middle east needed a Guns N' Roses song.

lol

i always though the lyrics were referring to the Saudi Arab's capital Riyadh... or the arab world in genreal.

also i think the HoB/RIO version included the lyric : "Half the time they are nomads or Aryans"...

Riad - Moroccan house

To be honest when I first read the word Bedouin, without knowing what the word Bedouin stood for, the first thing that came to me was Bedknobs and Broomsticks the Disney film. I thought Bedouin could be a character or some American slang word.

The today, while creating this Topic, it hit me that I did not know what a Bedouin was, and Google'd Bedouin to discovered:

Bedouin, Beduin [ˈbɛdʊɪn]

n

1. (Social Science / Peoples) pl -ins, -in a member of any of the nomadic tribes of Arabs inhabiting the deserts of Arabia, Jordan, and Syria, as well as parts of the Sahara

2. a wanderer or rover

adj

1. (Social Science / Peoples) of or relating to the Bedouins

2. wandering or roving

[from Old French beduin, from Arabic badāwi, plural of badwi, from badw desert]

Guess I learnt something new. Up until today I had no reason to know about the Bedouins :shrugs:

Edited by vaida

Stephanie Seymour.

While I agree that a lot of the album was probably inspired by those times and those emotions, I actually think just saying "Stephanie Seymour" puts too fine a point on it. I think the emotions that she made Axl feel -- abandonment, resentment, and betrayal chief among them -- are emotions that Axl's had to deal with in a lot of his key relationships... like his abusive family members, Slash, Erin, other former band members and managers, etc... Axl has had the unbelievable misfortune having having to endure betrayals and abandonment from pretty much anyone in his life other than Beta and her family. So these are emotions that he needs to vent, and these are emotions that will drive him to create and express himself.

So yeah, in a nutshell, you could say it's about Stephanie Seymour. But in terms of emotional impact, there's really no difference between Stephanie Seymour, Slash, his father and to a lesser extent, people like Izzy and Duff who were able to earn forgiveness.

I hoped "Wasted" had a comment, he is awesome at these type of topics.

Sometimes I make a thread just so he can reply. Gotta love charlie sheen.

Who ever wasted is, I hope he has the ability to stay on topic.

Edited by vaida

Chinese Democracy - Right-wing political statement

Shacklers Revenge - Fits Axl's school shooter explanation

Better - About the ending of a complex love relationship

Street Of Dreams - Same as Better, more pity shown towards the other person in the relationship

If The World - Being totally captivated by a woman

There Was A Time - Same as Better, more bitter tone though, but in the end admits that "I'd do anything for you"

Catcher In The Rye - I have no idea

Scraped - Haters gonna hate

Riad N' The Bedouins - Haters gonna hate

Sorry - A quite direct "fuck you" towards someone special

IRS - Same as TWAT

Madagascar - Overcoming personal difficulties, works on a larger scale too

This I Love - Same as Better

Prostitute - Being true to oneself

I would say "Catcher" is the one we know the most about after Axl went into it at length during the chats. He was so pumped about it that he brought it to the discussion and wanted to be asked about it. You could tell how close he was to the lyrics.

What did he say ?

Chinese Democracy - Anti-communist, directed at the countries leaders.

Shacklers Revenge - Over-coming things in life, just good rock lyrics

Better - girlfriend left me, woe is me

Street Of Dreams - girlfriend left me, woe is me

If The World - girlfriend left me, woe is me

There Was A Time - girlfriend left me, woe is me

Catcher In The Rye - About John Lennon getting shot

Scraped - Don't tell me what to do!

Riad N' The Bedouins - Presumably about the nomadic people in the middle east in ancient times who fought and killed each other. Their frustrations, their uneducated traveling, killing, taking over land and having land taken over from you, etc. OP you're wrong about "Rhiad", it's actually the place in Saudi Arabia he is referencing, hence the bedouins. It's just spelled wrong... for some reason...

Sorry - fuck Slash

IRS - fuck people who sue me

Madagascar - Being brought down with the old band, the "only one left" attitude.

This I Love - girlfriend left me, woe is me

Prostitute - About old band or old girlfriend

"Riad"

A Riad is a traditional Moroccan house or palace with an interior garden. The word riad comes from the Arabian term for garden, "ryad". The ancient Roman city of Volubilis provides a reference for the beginnings of riad architecture during the rule of the Idrisid Dynasty. The design of these courtyard dwellings in the coastal regions of Morocco were an adaption and modification of the Roman villa. When the Almoravids conquered Spain in the 11th century they sent Muslim, Christian and Jewish artisans from Spain to Morocco to work on monuments. These artisans brought with them the idea of arranging the rooms of the house around the central open-air courtyard that has become today's riads.The riads were inward focused which allowed for family privacy and protection from the weather in Morocco. This inward focus was expressed in the central location of most of the interior gardens and courtyards and the lack of large windows on the exterior clay or mud brick walls. Entrance to these houses is a major transitional experience and encourages reflection because all of the rooms open into the central atrium space. In the central garden of traditional riads there are often four orange or lemon trees and possibly a fountain. The walls of the riads are adorned with tadelakt plaster and zellige tiles. The style of these riads has changed over the years, but the basic form is still used in designs today. Recently there has been a surge in interest in this form of house after a new vogue of renovation in towns such as Marrakech or Essaouira. Many riads are now used as hotels or restaurants.

Rhiad"

(Placename) the joint capital (with Mecca) of Saudi Arabia, situated in a central oasis: the largest city in the country. Pop.: 2 800 000 (1996 est.)

"Riyadh"

Riyadh - joint capital (with Mecca) of Saudi Arabia located in the central oasis; largest city in Saudi Arabia

Chinese Democracy: about how people want you do so something, but you don't want to do it because they can fuck off.

Shacklers Revenge: about how you can get a gun and kill people who are telling you what to do

Better: about how other people want to hurt you and take advantage of you and you should have known better, but now you do and you will show them how you are better than them eventually

Street of Dreams: about how people leave you and take things away from you and how it can make you sad

If The World: about how if the world were to end Axl would never get to experience real romantic fulfillment

The Was a Time: about how some women are druggie whores who want to hurt you, even if they once seemed like they loved you

Catcher: about how certain people make you want to kill people, and also how the book Catcher in the Rye is garbage and should be banned because it led to John Lennon's tragic murder

Scrapped: About how sometimes people try to make you feel bad by telling you what to do, but that you should just do whatever you want and believe in yourself

Riad: Arabs

Sorry: about not accepting apologies from people who you think are trying to look down on you or tell you what to do.

IRS: about doing whatever you have to do to make a situation right after someone tries to steal from you or otherwise take advantage of you

Madagascar: about how people tear down you soul, intentionally or unintentionally, and how you have to be strong to deal with it but also strong enough to forgive their souls, even if they're not asking for forgiveness or they're still hurting you, and how lonely they can make you feel (like an island, which is what Madagascar is)

This I Love: about how you can love something so purely and perfectly, but they can still leave you and hurt you, but you still love them and want them to know that

Prostitute: about how other people will try and force you to do things you don't want to do, but how you will be stronger if you stay true to yourself and don't do it.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: